GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

And here is the Q kitted out with the half case and thumb rest.
First impressions very good. I'm getting to grips with the user profiles which I think are the way to customise it nicely.
20240221_190411.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Excited! Just got my (back to m43 system)
Low mileage mk1 kit delivered , Time to go and have a play in the park before dark.
Whole bundle cost less than sony rx100vi i just sold!View attachment 450620

Congrats, Scott!
And while this is just a personal opinion, but in many ways and for many reasons, I've always thought the original (Mk 1) E-M1 is one of the nicest cameras Olympus ever made. Hope you enjoy yours.

T
Congrats, Scott!
And while this is just a personal opinion, but in many ways and for many reasons, I've always thought the original (Mk 1) E-M1 is one of the nicest cameras Olympus ever made. Hope you enjoy you
Thanks Miguel..As soon as I picked it up I remembered why it was probably my favourite ever!..its like the designer used my hand to mold it's shape.

I know there's some cross-participation, so apologies if you've seen this elsewhere...

Here's how this started:

Shooting adapted vintage lenses is just...a wonderful thing. If you shoot M4/3 and haven't tried it, find some unloved lens in your own collection or at a thrift store, spring for a $15 adapter and have at it. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Some old lenses are rubbish, some are amazing, and some are a trip in the time machine and a warm surprise, like The Survivor. (Dunno if I posted that one over here...)

Anyway, if you hang out over at PentaxForums, you'll discover the devoted follwing that Takumar (M42 Pentax) lenses have. Pentax shooters have the luxury of being able to shoot ANY Pentax lens ever made on basically any Pentax camera ever made with nothing more than an M42-K adapter, so those lenses are legendary over there.

Apologies for the long intro, but courtesy of one particularly bad influence over there, I had been keeping an eye out for a Takumar (not Super Takumar, SMC Takumar, Auto Takumar) 58mm f2.0. I didn't know much about it other than the praise heaped upon it for its bokeh and pleasant rendering. It turns out that the design is a Sonnar (Zeiss design dating to 1929, but the Sonnar is apparently such a perfect thing that the design principles are still used [yeah, old stuff can be a rabbit hole]), and that it (the 58/2) was only made for one year; 1957. So, they're scarce, basically never coming up for sale in the US, and while not stupendously expensive, more than a casual purchase from Japan. As it turns out, my standing eBay search brought a camera + lens combo to my attention. Now, I haven't shot 35mm film in 20 years. Had no intention to, either, so whatintheheck do I need with an ancient film camera? Well, while poking around in the rabbit hole, I discovered that the attached camera was an Asahi Pentax AP. Also a one-year offering, also 1957. It is (by some) considered the progenitor of the modern 35mm SLR. It was the first SLR with an auto-return mirror, thumb-lever film advance, and several other ground-breaking features. The camera and its immediate successors was so successful that Asahi Optical changed its name to Asahi Pentax (hence the designation of this model as the "AP.") Now, if I'm wrong on any of that, don't bother to disabuse me of the error. I'm happy to pass along the story, even if it's only legend.

So, now it's here. I can't believe that after 66 years this body (and its case) looks so good. The shutter speed is set using two dials, one for slower speeds and a secondary one for higher; the second one is actually linked to shutter action and rotates when it fires. The speeds are 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, not 1/30, 1/60, etc, as it predates the later standardization of shutter speeds. The lens (nothing auto here; it's a pre-set type lens) has a few small scratches and cleaning marks but it's 66 years old, fer cryin' out loud! Focusing is still like velvet, and AFAIK it's never been apart. Its case is lovely too, and neither case shows the funk of age. Amazing.

Guess I gotta go buy some film.

AsahiPtx_AP_1A.jpg

AsahiPtx_AP_4A.jpg

AsahiPtx_AP_3A.jpg

AsahiPtx_AP_5A.jpg

Takumar55_2_2A.jpg

Takumar55_2_1A.jpg

So...I did a thing today! I've ordered a Leica Q from MPB. I've craved one since they were announced...and a few weeks ago I found out that I have stomach cancer, and not bad indigestion after all. I've just started on my chemotherapy and immunotherapy, and all the indications are hopeful. But still, if possibly impending mortality can't loosen the purse strings, what else can? Anyway, the Q will arrive on Wednesday along with a leather half case and thumb rest. At least if it turns out not to suit I can return it within 14 days. I'm looking forward to using the camera enormously although spending £2k was a wrench!

Sending you my best wishes and good vibrations from across the pond, Martin - as well as some serious congrats on the Q! Having become of fan of your images and the way you see the world over the years, I have a feeling that the Q is going to unleash some serious Old Smithy creativity. And maybe it was a bit of a wrench but I can't help feeling it was definitely the right thing to do. Looking forwards to your new Q phase with anticipation :2thumbs:

Finally get to check this one out! Won an eBay auction for $77 for the Olympus C-8080.

View attachment 450686

Congrats, Brian!
The C-8080 is one of the coolest cameras ever made. For a good year and a half it was my only camera and, once you get the hang of it, it tends to grow on you. Plus, just picking up a C-8080 and handling it, one gets a new understanding of what the adjective "well-built" really means.

Picked up a rusty Junghans laboratory table stopwatch from a flea market for peanuts.
It was rusted out in places, so over the week I restored and rebuilt it.

JungFix_001.jpg

JungFix_004.jpg

JungFix_009.jpg

All done, (the one in the middle)
JungFix_011.jpg

Still fine-tuning the movement a bit as it loses about 2 seconds every hour.
Still, good enough for my film developing needs.

Been away all day and on my way home and when I do get back they’ll be a Nikkor 35mm F2 Ai waiting for me which was delivered while I was out. Because Nikon made so many lenses, it means a lot of them can be had for cheap which was the case with this lens. Let’s hope it’s a good copy. I always did miss my 35mm AF-D which was sold along with my DSLR gear and if this newly arrived lens renders anything like that I’ll be very happy.

Crazy times ... I stumbled upon a clearing sale from one of the biggest online dealers in Switzerland and found some interesting lenses at half their usual (already cheap!) prices:
On of the two will be used in the upcoming Single in April 2024 challenge (most certainly the 35mm on the Z f, but I want to check the potential of both lenses first).

M.

Back