GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

What kind of noise John?

I had an issue with my very first PC (2GB HDD / 16MB RAM / WIN 98).

Switched it on and within a few minutes, it was making a noise like a flashgun charging. It got louder.....and louder.....then.........BOOM. A spectacular flash followed by some smoke (I recall running away).

Power supply. I was told by the shop that when they blow they often take the drives with them.

So, as long as it's not THAT kind of noise.
Nah, Richard. Just a whining noise, like a fan bearing that needs a drop of sewing machine oil.

On older PCs, the PSU fan was often the only box fan, so the HDDs can die from overheating or heat induced head crashes.

Thanks John. I obsessively back things up and have about 10 external HDDs and counting. 64GB of RAM was a £1000 Apple upgrade when you could still order these Macs new in 2022.

As resolutions get higher and RAW files get bigger, a fast drive for your photo catalogue is pretty much a necessity for lightroom. I bought the iMac secondhand two years ago at a bargain price. Turns out that it had the option of a Fusion drive (small SSD plus an HDD) or SSD. This one was supplied off the shelf with a 512GB SSD.

However, it turns out that the logic board is the same as in the Fusion version, so when I got it apart, there is an empty HDD caddy in the case and an empty SATA connector and power connector. the 'Fusion' drive is actually a small-ish SSD AND an HDD.

I'll need to research it, but I think I can add a 2.5" SSD or HDD in there as well :)
As long as the connectors are there, you should be able to add a SATA drive, no problem. Fusion drives just merged spinning rust with PCIe storage, and the OS determined what files were stored where based on access needs. It was a decent solution to speed up performance before NVME storage became so economical, and, well, before Apple started soldering storage to all their devices. I'm surprised your machine doesn't have the memory door hatch under the mount arm. Is it an iMac Pro, or the 21" model?
One other thing - I have recently had a few issues with the fans racing. The back of the case was frequently hot to the touch.

On disassembly, the fan blades and processor cooling fins were thick with dust/dirt. One side was around 50% occluded and therefore not working.

I was tempted to renew the thermal paste, but because the processor is not attached to the board (it's held in place with the heatsink), I read that it's easy to bend the pins if you don't know what you are doing because the bolts are on one side of the board and the processor and heatsink are wobbling around on the reverse as you tighten things back up. I'm going to see how things go.

At the bottom of the Mac casing there are air vents running the length of the case. I Hoovered these periodically, so they were nice and clean. However, inside the case, an inch above the vents is a black plastic strip full of little holes running the whole width of the computer. Those holes were 3/4 blocked with dirt.

Having sucked all the dirt out with a Hoover equipped with a silicone straw, everything's now a lot cooler.
If you haven't already, give MacsFanControl a try. It will give you all your system temps and even control over your system fan, if you'd like. It will tell you really fast what components of your system are running hot. I've used it for years and years, even on passively cooled Macs.

It is important for a computer to have dust filters on all intakes, and more intake than outtake (positive air flow), to prevent dust build up inside the computer, which is a real headache.

My Corsair TX650 PSU hasn't exploded yet after 15 years, and PSU have only gotten better since then. Brand name PSUs have different types of protections built in to prevent explosions and often come with 10 year warranty instead of 5 year like before.

I also remember my first PC: 486DX-100MHz, Maxtor 850MB, DOS 6/Windows 3.1. That was right before Windows 95 so I must have been in grade 4 at the time.

Honestly, Windows 7 is the first time I didn't have problems with Windows, and I hear a lot of complaints about Windows 11, which does not compel me to build a new computer. I am also not enthused about the current trend of RGB light, mesh case, glass side panel, sagging video card with super high power draw, coil whine...

Fortunately, Windows 11 is getting better from a stability/usability front, though MS really wants you to "try" to use Copilot. It's perhaps the biggest turn-off with Windows since 10 released--MS is shameless about shoving their services and their latest half-baked ideas in your face. It just "feels" wrong, like it's not your PC anymore. I use it just to stay familiar with the latest. Windows 10 support is sunsetting in 18 months or so. In typical MS fashion, it's 2 steps forward, 2 steps back, and then someone tied the shoelaces together.

I first discovered PC dust many moons ago, when I cracked open the K6-2 500 system I had built for my parents. Reports were that it was "running slow and crashing a lot," and it was no wonder. The CPU heatsink was so clogged with dust and cat hair that the fan could no longer effectively move air. The CPU was essentially running on passive cooling, and so it would overheat shortly after booting and lock up. A thorough and disgusting cleaning got it back in business.

As long as the connectors are there, you should be able to add a SATA drive, no problem. Fusion drives just merged spinning rust with PCIe storage, and the OS determined what files were stored where based on access needs. It was a decent solution to speed up performance before NVME storage became so economical, and, well, before Apple started soldering storage to all their devices. I'm surprised your machine doesn't have the memory door hatch under the mount arm. Is it an iMac Pro, or the 21" model?

If you haven't already, give MacsFanControl a try. It will give you all your system temps and even control over your system fan, if you'd like. It will tell you really fast what components of your system are running hot. I've used it for years and years, even on passively cooled Macs.

I am not worthy of a hatch. It's a 21.5" 2019 model. I believe the memory door was only found on the 27" models. To be honest, I'm grateful I can at least upgrade what I've got. Probably go down the Mac mini or Mac Pro route if I ever upgraded.

MacFansControl is what alerted me to the fact that my CPU was running at 97 degrees :)

Last edited:
I am not worthy of a hatch. It's a 21.5" 2019 model. I believe the memory door was only found on the 27" models. To be honest, I'm grateful I can at least upgrade what I've got. Probably go down the Mac mini or Mac Pro route if I ever upgraded.

MacFansControl is what alerted me to the fact that my CPU was running at 97 degrees :)
Under heavy load, my passively-cooled M2 MBA's CPU hits 105C. I'm guessing that's the ceiling before throttling occurs. I suppose it's impressive that it can continue to operate like that without any fan at all. Seems any modern chip is designed like this, where the ceiling is higher, and the processor will shoot all the way to that max temp limit when the demand is there.

Fortunately, Windows 11 is getting better from a stability/usability front, though MS really wants you to "try" to use Copilot. It's perhaps the biggest turn-off with Windows since 10 released--MS is shameless about shoving their services and their latest half-baked ideas in your face. It just "feels" wrong, like it's not your PC anymore. I use it just to stay familiar with the latest. Windows 10 support is sunsetting in 18 months or so. In typical MS fashion, it's 2 steps forward, 2 steps back, and then someone tied the shoelaces together.
I am so glad you posted this. Spot on. I recently helped a friend set up his new Win 11 laptop during which MS shoved so much in my face that it wanted me to use. Even the Mac version of Edge is doing it e.g. constantly opening new tabs in the MS news page despite whatever’s in the settings.
I first discovered PC dust many moons ago, when I cracked open the K6-2 500 system I had built for my parents. Reports were that it was "running slow and crashing a lot," and it was no wonder. The CPU heatsink was so clogged with dust and cat hair that the fan could no longer effectively move air. The CPU was essentially running on passive cooling, and so it would overheat shortly after booting and lock up. A thorough and disgusting cleaning got it back in business.
In the past I’ve employed a Rocket dust blower to help clean out the insides of our PCs but last week I unearthed an old ELC compressor we used to use to blow up the DD’s inflatable toys. It does a grand job of blowing dust out of heat sinks and the odd corners inside the PC cases. Also good for blowing dust off lenses (and LEGO models).

I am so glad you posted this. Spot on. I recently helped a friend set up his new Win 11 laptop during which MS shoved so much in my face that it wanted me to use. Even the Mac version of Edge is doing it e.g. constantly opening new tabs in the MS news page despite whatever’s in the settings.

In the past I’ve employed a Rocket dust blower to help clean out the insides of our PCs but last week I unearthed an old ELC compressor we used to use to blow up the DD’s inflatable toys. It does a grand job of blowing dust out of heat sinks and the odd corners inside the PC cases. Also good for blowing dust off lenses (and LEGO models).
Edge is a disaster. It runs the open source Chromium engine, and then MS managed to tack on so much stuff that it's too busy. And with as bad as MS is with trackers, you might as well just use Chrome. It's so bad that the free version of Outlook (as found in Windows 11), has over 700 trackers for all its partners. I remember when MS was running its "Scroogled" campaign, attacking Google's tracking and user data mining. Today, MS is all about doing this. It's pretty ridiculous. People call Macs overpriced, but this is exactly what you're NOT paying for. I don't claim Apple is innocent, but based on how poor Siri performs as an AI, I get a very strong feeling that Apple isn't leveraging your data much, if at all.

Edge is a disaster. It runs the open source Chromium engine, and then MS managed to tack on so much stuff that it's too busy. And with as bad as MS is with trackers, you might as well just use Chrome. It's so bad that the free version of Outlook (as found in Windows 11), has over 700 trackers for all its partners. I remember when MS was running its "Scroogled" campaign, attacking Google's tracking and user data mining. Today, MS is all about doing this. It's pretty ridiculous. People call Macs overpriced, but this is exactly what you're NOT paying for. I don't claim Apple is innocent, but based on how poor Siri performs as an AI, I get a very strong feeling that Apple isn't leveraging your data much, if at all.
It's why I've disabled Edge, and use Firefox, Brave and Chrome in more or less that order. Ad and poxware blockers on all three, plus MalwareBytes Premium.

Windows 11 seems every bit as bad as the modern versions of MS Office. Incompetently programmed, bloatware and full of poxy, useless stuff - the very antithesis of the original Windows NT 3.0!

This just in: a Minolta XD7 with a 45mm f/2 Rokkor lens. 😊

2024-04-03_2310_DSCF0469.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now this does present a problem, though. I hear whispers of "Minolta Colors", but I shoot black and white... ;)

The magic work closet isn’t completely empty, as it bestowed two gifts upon me today.

1) I was invited to support the next photography event for work (I’ve done 4 so far - most while I worked in the photography division) and am over the moon to support one again. Can’t wait to make some great shots and see the talented photo coaches we bring in, many of whom I call friends at this point. I’ll be heading out in 2 weeks for the week+ long event.

2) A brand new GX85 and kit lens.

IMG_3511.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
You have a great job. At least some parts of it. (>:
The magic work closet isn’t completely empty, as it bestowed two gifts upon me today.

1) I was invited to support the next photography event for work (I’ve done 4 so far - most while I worked in the photography division) and am over the moon to support one again. Can’t wait to make some great shots and see the talented photo coaches we bring in, many of whom I call friends at this point. I’ll be heading out in 3 weeks for the week+ long event.

View attachment 458912

1) I was invited to support the next photography event for work (I’ve done 4 so far - most while I worked in the photography division) and am over the moon to support one again. Can’t wait to make some great shots and see the talented photo coaches we bring in, many of whom I call friends at this point. I’ll be heading out in 3 weeks for the week+ long event.

View attachment 458912
I have really good memories of obtaining my GX85 when they first came out. I think it was my first new M4/3 camera body bought straight from a retailer and not via eBay or used. I still really like that camera (despite its EVF quality).

I have really good memories of obtaining my GX85 when they first came out. I think it was my first new M4/3 camera body bought straight from a retailer and not via eBay or used. I still really like that camera (despite its EVF quality).
It feels like a great little camera…but yeah, the EVF is tiny and nothing to write home about. Shame, cause otherwise a little knockout.

It's worth the effort to first adjust LCD to your liking (monitor display) and use same control to adjust EVF while looking through EVF to closely match LCD settings. The monitor display function has dual purpose and adjusts EFV when active. I managed to get my two fairly close with the exception of much darker shadows with EVF.

Also, I find monitor luminance best set to to other than auto to better match exposures. I set to #3 despite being darker but more accurate.

The LV/Monitor Display set to the smaller active display in viewfinder actually makes full screen easier to see with the info below the live view display.

Last edited:
Back