GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Today I took my Fuji with the 50/2 to accompany the FL of my Leica and 21/3.5. Initially I just shot Leica because that's what I know. :D When the light dropped enough so that my Leica just couldn't do anymore, I switched to Fuji. It was dark, I wasn't hunting anything special, I placed the Fuji in all-automatic. I'm so very surprised how pleasant it was. Fuji delivered blazing performance, speed, silence, very little shutter recoil. Tilting backscreen, automatic focus area and at times, back-button focus with single point. Pure pleasantry.

So now I'm developing some GAS to complete my Fuji kit even though I have those FLs in my Leica setup already. 14/2.8, 23/2 (or f/1.4) could be so fun if I let Fuji into my heart. Also 60/2.4 could be sooooooo fun!

I realize this isn't the correct thread but this is GAS, I just haven't bought anything yet. Should we have a thread called "GAS: Please Share Your Latest Desires, Big and Small" :)

I was a little bummed that I missed that.

But I ordered an Xplor600 for $349. :D

I think you had just sold yours and went to 200s.
I'll have a 600, 200 and V850(speed light).
Hopefully I find my usage warrants the size difference.

It's a xmas present from my family so I'll have to wrap it up until 12/25.
The suspense will be killing me I'm sure. ( :
Nice! The 600 is a great light. I have nothing bad to say about it. If you are going to use it on a boom, I highly recommend getting the extension head. The 600 plus a modifier can get unruly on a boom.

And yeah, I did just sell mine. Actually taking them to the buyer tonight. The portability and versatility of the 200 will work a lot better for me. I picked up two of the pros, and two of the standard.

Nice! The 600 is a great light. I have nothing bad to say about it. If you are going to use it on a boom, I highly recommend getting the extension head. The 600 plus a modifier can get unruly on a boom.

And yeah, I did just sell mine. Actually taking them to the buyer tonight. The portability and versatility of the 200 will work a lot better for me. I picked up two of the pros, and two of the standard.

Good to hear.
Thanks for the recommend on the ext. head. I used one with the 200 and really liked it. I figured with the 600 it's pretty much essential.
I really need to pick up a boom. Probably next on the long wish list.

Four 200s is an awesome plan.
Can't wait to see your shots.

Check this guy out...

Good to hear.
Thanks for the recommend on the ext. head. I used one with the 200 and really liked it. I figured with the 600 it's pretty much essential.
I really need to pick up a boom. Probably next on the long wish list.

The cool thing with extension head for the 600. You can hang the monolight body in the included bag at the end of the boom for a counter weight.

Four 200s is an awesome plan.
Can't wait to see your shots.

Check this guy out...
Adorama had a Flashpoint boom on sale for $20 when I ordered the 200s. It’s probably still that price. The cool thing with the 600 extension head. Is that with the monolight body in the included bag. You can hang it at the end of the boom as a counter weight.

Thanks for the link. I’ve never seen a setup like that.

I need to slow down... but prices for vintage Leica mount lenses are lower than I've seen in 20 years. With Ebay, and prices down in Japan- picked up some rare lenses. A Canon 50/2.2, beautiful condition- $100 with shipping. This lens was made for only 6 months, not sold outside of Japan. A Canon 50/2.8 "Zebra" (smaller 34mm filters) for $77 shipped. And within the US- a Black Canon 50/1.8 for $60, shipped. The latter is very difficult to find with clean glass, this one is close to perfect. This finishes my Canon 50 collection. Calling it quits with the 50/2.8, 50/2.2, 5cm/2, 50/1.9, 50/1.8 early, 50/1.8 late (different optics), 50/1.5, 50/1.4, and 50/0.95. I've had 3 different 50/1.2's in the past, have worked on 50/3.5's and shot with them. The latter- if I run across one cheap...

I need to slow down... but prices for vintage Leica mount lenses are lower than I've seen in 20 years. With Ebay, and prices down in Japan- picked up some rare lenses. A Canon 50/2.2, beautiful condition- $100 with shipping. This lens was made for only 6 months, not sold outside of Japan. A Canon 50/2.8 "Zebra" (smaller 34mm filters) for $77 shipped. And within the US- a Black Canon 50/1.8 for $60, shipped. The latter is very difficult to find with clean glass, this one is close to perfect. This finishes my Canon 50 collection. Calling it quits with the 50/2.8, 50/2.2, 5cm/2, 50/1.9, 50/1.8 early, 50/1.8 late (different optics), 50/1.5, 50/1.4, and 50/0.95. I've had 3 different 50/1.2's in the past, have worked on 50/3.5's and shot with them. The latter- if I run across one cheap...
Thanks for the heads up Brian. I thought prices were going up, but that was only the Leica lenses.

The other day my buddy called me from the camera store knowing I shoot with Nikon 1 cameras. He saw this Nikon 30-110mm VR in the bargain bin at Samy's Camera here in Los Angeles and told me it was for sale. Everything in the bin is name your own price since it's stuff no one wants! Just my luck, I shoot with a discontinued system! :D I asked him to offer $20 USD and they accepted! I now regret not offering $10 USD first! :roflmao: This morning I picked up the lens from him and everything checks out! Looks minty! ;)

On a side note, the universal foldable loupe I got for my J5 totally rocks! Turns any 3:2 LCD screen into a pretty decent OVF/EVF!

49166563356_363323b0f9_b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photos of Nikon 1 J5 + 30-110mm VR in white + universal foldable loupe by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

49166087858_98a7559afd_b.jpg

Photos of Nikon 1 J5 + 30-110mm VR in white + universal foldable loupe by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Picked up a pair of Westcott Solix LED light kit, softbox and light stand on discount.

(I know, LED continuous lighting. But my brain works better with continuous and WYSIWYG.)

Also a couple of pocket knives to replace older smaller ones I've started having issues with due to size and loss of dexterity.

Just got a used 'Panasonic ZS50' as a cheap take-everywhere 'serious compact'.

My current phone's camera seriously sucks - and I like to use long lenses...
So it was between spending 1000+$ for a new phone with a 50mm "telephoto lens" or 100+$ for a used ZS50 with a similarly sized sensor and a 720mm telephoto :)

Let's see how much I'll use it :)

Last edited:
Whoops!!

97BF25FE-6938-4C49-A36F-827640F0C1A5.jpeg

There is nothing wrong with continuous lighting. I used to shoot with that type of lighting for quite a while.

Thanks - I've never really thought there was, but seems a lot more people prefer strobes. Anyways, new stuff for me to learn and it might help me get a bit better with product photos. Will see about people at a later date.

@Briar very nice!

Thanks - I've never really thought there was, but seems a lot more people prefer strobes. Anyways, new stuff for me to learn and it might help me get a bit better with product photos. Will see about people at a later date.

I prefer strobes for the much greater versatility of what I can do with them. But I’ve shot many of what I feel are excellent portraits with constant lighting. Filming is done with constant lighting and it can be beautiful. Your lights will
be easier to work with for product shots.

Are you going to do an impressions thread? Inquiring minds and all...
I will share my impressions - but I have to gather some worthwhile ones first :)

First impressions: I owned an E-M10 back in the day - one of my favourite cameras of all time, and the only one I ever truely regretted selling. The E-M5 III, so far, is everything the E-M10 was, but much, much better in all respects, without a shadow of a doubt (that even goes for the menus). That said, I'll have to get used to it to fully appreciate what it's really capable of. So, far, I've mainly tried fool the I.B.I.S. and AF in marginal light - and failed :cool:

Random thoughts:
  • The camera pairs very well with the 12-40mm f/2.8, a lens that feels just a little too front heavy on the GX9 - and that's *without* an additional grip (I had to use the E-M10 with the ECG-1 to make it feel comfortable - but it did feel wonderful that way). I may add the dedicated grip later - but as of yet, it may be feasible to go without it.
  • Visiblity of the EVF's panel with glasses is great (heads and shoulders above the GX9's), contrast is wonderful, resolution middle-of-the-road, but I knew that beforehand - it's a bit coarse by today's standards, but totally adequate (and no worse than other cameras in the price range).
  • I've swapped the power switch to be able to use the camera one-handed (you can set the Fn-toggle to work as an on-off switch).
  • Deploy time (very important for me as someone who also shoots film and is used to immediacy) and all camera operations are *slick* - no waiting for anything.
  • S-AF is lightning fast - but that's where :mu-43: shines anyway. Face recognition isn't best-of-class, but very good. I haven't tested tracking - and am no authority on that anyway since my shooting style rarely demands it.
  • The sensor does perform as expected, very solid IQ (and probably a tad better than the GX9's) - I cap Auto ISO at 1600 for the time being to get reasonably clean files (that's APS-C territory in my book - completely satisfactory).
  • In-camera charging is really useful (both batteries already charged)
  • UHS-II is a very good thing and speeds up things further, and the separate compartment for the SD card makes card handling much more comfortable.
M.

Back