GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

tonyturley

Legend
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
That’s brilliant! I’ve never considered anything like it. Having tried photographing birds in flight or aircraft I see the genius behind this. This is my mind blown 🤯 moment for the day.
Way back when I was briefly into Pentax, I spent a lot of time on pentaxforums.com. One of the trends in those days was to photograph birds with the original Pentax Q, using one of many adapters then available. I actually bought a red dot gun site to do the same. Some guys were really good, and had really big lenses on their Q. Longest I tried was a 200mm, and I found focusing to be very tricky. My results were mixed.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
Way back when I was briefly into Pentax, I spent a lot of time on pentaxforums.com. One of the trends in those days was to photograph birds with the original Pentax Q, using one of many adapters then available. I actually bought a red dot gun site to do the same. Some guys were really good, and had really big lenses on their Q. Longest I tried was a 200mm, and I found focusing to be very tricky. My results were mixed.
I was one of those guys, although I didn't go specifically for birds and I wasn't really good. I used an old SMC Pentax 50 1.4 (pre-M). Here's a shot of the Q with the adapted 50:
Q50.jpg

Here's a shot from the Q with the adapted 50. I believe the crop factor is 5.5, making it a 275 mme:
Q+50.jpg

These were both shot today because all of this is sitting in my office. I just can't bring myself to part with the Q. It has many flaws, but it is a jewel for what it is. I also tried the old M200 f4 on the Q. "Focus is tricky" is like saying "Eating a tire is hard". I had more luck with the old M50 f4 macro. You needed to use some kind of physical stabilization but the DoF was amazing for a macro.

Sorry to go off topic like this. I have a report I don't want to write and Turley brought it up. ;)

Last edited:

ErichH

Veteran
Jun 11, 2020
It was the "classic" setup of those times on the Super TL: 2,8/35mm, 1,8/50mm and I think the 2,8/135mm (these last two are somewhere in the basement). Doesn't look bad with half a century gone.
View attachment 213643
But the original kit lens set sold with the camera, in the ugly rectangular camera bag, was:
Orestogon f:2.8/29 mm, Domiplan f:2.8/50 mm, and Orestor f:2.8/135 mm.
All made by Meyer Optik Görlitz.

Last edited:

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Jan 27, 2012
Los Angeles
John
An $89 no name 7.5mm Fisheye for mFT. What actually arrived in the plain white box with a little m43 sticker was a Risespray. I think it's the same as the 7 Artisans(?). I wasn't able to give it a workout as it's a Father's Day gift but I did sneak it out of the box and snap off a few. From the LCD it looks like this may be a viable, cheap answer to the Samyang. Pretty tiny for an APS-C design and build quality is nice.

Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
My dad was very kind to give a 27mm pancake to my son and I to share. It looks like on the X-E3, that could be a pocket camera.
Again, a great catch! It's a nifty little lens, one of my favourite pancakes ever ... (nothing beats the old Contax Tessar, but the 27mm is more or less the equal of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7).

M.
The 27mm does indeed make the X-E3 jacket pocket friendly. That and the X70 I had were a great 1 - 2 punch of pocket options.

But since I moved back to just m4/3 I just picked up a P20 (thanks @AndyH44) to go with my P14.

Picked up another oly 9mm BCL. Fun little lens that makes up in character what it lacks in sharpness.
I think I need to find a slightly larger EDC bag to fit the Pen, P14, P20, & my 9mm BCL.

Another book. Yesterday we visited an exhibition of Vivian Maier's color work in Amsterdam. While I liked it, the B&W work speaks to me a little more, so I bought a book with that; I later may regret not having bought the color book...

S01-20200617-001.jpg

Edit: just decided to get the color book as well before it's going to be sold out. Learnt long ago that you buy a book as soon as you start thinking that you'll regret not buying it, because it will be sold out at the time you get to it.

Last edited:

agentlossing

Top Veteran
I recently had the misfortune of my newly acquired Sigma 60mm 2.8 depositing a large fiber from the depths of the lens innards to right under the element almost dead center.

I don't think it would've effected image quality but my OCD cried out.
And opportunity. So I returned it and picked up a 56 1.4.

The 60 was a deterrent from spending on the 56. And a bandaid for the Sigma 30 which tried really hard but always fell just a little short.

Now two halves are a whole and the GAS tank has been filled.
View attachment 225446
'cause with M4/3, when you CAN go f1.4... you do it!

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2013
Cheshire, England
Martin Connolly
Well. Big changes! I realised I found the X100T rather limiting despite its excellent IQ. I’ve sold that for exactly what I paid for it, so it’s been a free 4 month hire. And I had a couple of old phones that went for gratifyingly large sums on eBay. And I sold the 7 Artisans 25mm lens.
Instead of all that I have ordered a Panny GX9 +12-32 and 35-100 lenses, a 7 artisans 60mm macro lens, and the upgrade to the latest version of the Nik Collection. Phew....

William Lewis

Veteran
Feb 10, 2020
Hayward WI
William Lewis
Ordered the last of the Nikkor Manual Focus lenses I've been wanting - an AI Converted Nikkor N 24/2.8 that will be a nice 35 eq on my D7100.

Just trying to decide if I want to stay with Capture One Express or pay for the Pro version and then, rent or own? Hmm...

S01-20200619-016p.jpg

After watching Dave McKeegan's video and reading a post on dpreview I decided to order this card reader. Sandisk offers UHS-I type SD cards with read speeds over 90 MB/s but these are only attained when using a Sandisk proprietary card reader like the one shown here. I have a number of Sandisk cards that are advertized as 150 MB/s read speed, but the actual read speed is only 90 MB/s via my iMac SD card input. With this reader the read speeds went up to over 140 MB/s, even for a Sandisk Extreme card that was labeled as 90 MB/s; exactly the same experience as Dave McKeegan describes in his video. Weird it is, but at least I get to read the huge files from the Sony A7R4 a little bit faster.

Also tried a few Lexar cards but these didn't benefit from this specific card reader, read speeds maxed out at 90 MB/s despite their labeling of 95 MB/s, both on the iMac and Sandisk card readers.

BTW, AJA System Test Lite is a nice program to measure write and read speeds for the Mac. Available from the App Store for free.
Schermafbeelding 2020-06-19 om 20.12.39.png

Last edited:

ErichH

Veteran
Jun 11, 2020
Well. Big changes! I realised I found the X100T rather limiting despite its excellent IQ. I’ve sold that for exactly what I paid for it, so it’s been a free 4 month hire. And I had a couple of old phones that went for gratifyingly large sums on eBay. And I sold the 7 Artisans 25mm lens.
Instead of all that I have ordered a Panny GX9 +12-32 and 35-100 lenses, a 7 artisans 60mm macro lens, and the upgrade to the latest version of the Nik Collection. Phew....
Please tell about the 7artisans macro when you get it!

Latest threads

Top Bottom