GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

One of my first digital cameras, years and years ago, was a Lumix FZ7, a 'bridge' camera, an all-in-one device with a zoom lens and, if my memory serves me correctly, a whopping 6mb sensor. As cameras go, it was relatively small. Today, a good dozen years later, I got another bridge camera: a Sony RX10iii, which feels like it is the size of my old Pentax K200D DSLR, and whose distinguishing feature is a rather imposing Zeiss Vario-Sonnar zoom lens. It dwarfs my tiny Q7...

Photo_of_RX10M3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yep. It's all about the lens.

And just for fun, one of the first photos taken with it - a heavily cropped impromptu portrait of a small feathered neighbor (a 'Black Phoebe') who stopped by for a visit this afternoon---

RX10_Mar20_21_black_Phoebe.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So I went into this thing big time now.

In reference to thinking what to do wrt my Nikon Df, do I sell it or do I explore the system's strengths in more detail because what the hell.

On a whim, these items found themselves in my cart. There were delicious 70-210 and 70-300 AF lenses on the cheap also but I can get to that later.

Nikon 75-150mm f3.5 Series E AI-S
Nikon 35-200mm f3.5-4.5 AI-S Nikkor
Nikon 105mm f2.5 Nikkor-P Auto Pre-AI + HS-4
Nikon 135mm f3.5 Nikkor -Q.C Auto Pre-AI

So I went into this thing big time now.

In reference to thinking what to do wrt my Nikon Df, do I sell it or do I explore the system's strengths in more detail because what the hell.

On a whim, these items found themselves in my cart. There were delicious 70-210 and 70-300 AF lenses on the cheap also but I can get to that later.

Nikon 75-150mm f3.5 Series E AI-S
Nikon 35-200mm f3.5-4.5 AI-S Nikkor
Nikon 105mm f2.5 Nikkor-P Auto Pre-AI + HS-4
Nikon 135mm f3.5 Nikkor -Q.C Auto Pre-AI
28mm F2 AI-S. 35mm F1.4 or F2 AI-S. 50mm E Series pancake. 55mm AI-S Macro. 85mm F2 AI-S. And especially the 105mm F1.8 AI-S. 135mm F2.8 AI-S. Plus many more, no doubt. These are the lenses I can only imagine would be a joy to use with the DF. Plus with the AF-D lenses, there’s the 35mm F2, DC 105mm/135mm. All of these lenses with the DF will give you the tools to get your own unique signature images and rendering (and I haven’t even mentioned the Voigts, let alone the Zeiss lenses, all native yet future proofed to be used with any adapted mirrorless camera). And even if you wanted to try the G lenses, the 20mm and 24mm varieties are stellar. It’s hard to properly judge a camera before really diving in to this seemingly endless supply of top quality lenses.

28mm F2 AI-S. 35mm F1.4 or F2 AI-S. 50mm E Series pancake. 55mm AI-S Macro. 85mm F2 AI-S. And especially the 105mm F1.8 AI-S. 135mm F2.8 AI-S. Plus many more, no doubt. These are the lenses I can only imagine would be a joy to use with the DF. Plus with the AF-D lenses, there’s the 35mm F2, DC 105mm/135mm. All of these lenses with the DF will give you the tools to get your own unique signature images and rendering (and I haven’t even mentioned the Voigts, let alone the Zeiss lenses, all native yet future proofed to be used with any adapted mirrorless camera). And even if you wanted to try the G lenses, the 20mm and 24mm varieties are stellar. It’s hard to properly judge a camera before really diving in to this seemingly endless supply of top quality lenses.
Whether I will be expanding F lenses towards the wide angle, remains to be seen.

I did have the 20/1.8 Samyang and the 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor and both proved to be too difficult, too unpleasant to shoot manually without good help from the camera.

I am now planning to have my camera fitted with a split-prism focusing screen and if they do a good job with it, I should be seeing a marked improvement focusing lenses long and wide. I have written before, the "Digital range finder" dot in the lower left corner is spot on indicating when I focus my 135mm accurately but it just didn't help at all with 20mm or 55mm.

My sensible, sustainable plan for Df is to dedicate it for lenses that Leica M can't handle well. Telephoto lenses, zooms. I am not going to start collecting UWAs or normals because I feel Leica M and the rangefinder is the superior solution for that business.

I know your post was about the lenses... but I just have to say: as far my own sense of aesthetics, the Nikon Df is one of the most beautifully designed modern cameras ever. Period. And (though this is a thoroughly unscientific and subjective opinion), I've seen enough brilliant photos made with Df's to believe that, somehow, it possesses a certain je ne sais quoi when it comes to rendering, and image-making.

I decided to dip my toes back into μ4/3 with an Olympus E-M1 II and a Panasonic 45-175. I gave consideration to picking up a brand new E-M10 IV for only a bit more than the used 1Mk II, but decided I'd rather have the more robust build of the latter. Although I've pretty much moved away from adapted lenses, I still have a Pen-F 38/1.8 and PF-m4/3 adapter on the shelf, so that will certainly be getting some use.

I decided to dip my toes back into μ4/3 with an Olympus E-M1 II and a Panasonic 45-175. I gave consideration to picking up a brand new E-M10 IV for only a bit more than the used 1Mk II, but decided I'd rather have the more robust build of the latter. Although I've pretty much moved away from adapted lenses, I still have a Pen-F 38/1.8 and PF-m4/3 adapter on the shelf, so that will certainly be getting some use.
The Lumix 45-175 is my favorite tele-zoom for all-around use. Equal to my Lumix 35-100 II for I.Q. (y)
Have fun with yours!

I know your post was about the lenses... but I just have to say: as far my own sense of aesthetics, the Nikon Df is one of the most beautifully designed modern cameras ever. Period. And (though this is a thoroughly unscientific and subjective opinion), I've seen enough brilliant photos made with Df's to believe that, somehow, it possesses a certain je ne sais quoi when it comes to rendering, and image-making.
I like my pretty cameras. My history includes models such as a silver X100T, silver Pen-F, Leica M in chrome of course, Nikon Df also in chrome as pictured. I have my affinity towards the classic rangefinder and would put the lean looking Leica M and Fuji X100 series (up to 100F) before Pen-F and the Nikon. These all are naturally beautiful beasts no doubt.

And Df is certainly a nice performer also in the image department. Combine a nice Ai lens with the camera and you get amazingly retro images. The only problem is that you have to crank up the ISO pretty high before you get to see grain :D

Back