GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

A very very lightly used x70. I prefer black-bodied cameras, but sometimes a silver body has a certain...je ne sais quoi to it.

x70.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

What are all the optional extras...? That looks like it's addressed all the ergonomic shortcomings behind me not picking one up at the start of the year...

My particular x70 has 3 extras, all of which were relatively inexpensive, and all of which enhance either the aesthetics or the practicality of the camera. First is a lenshood - made by Haoge - which is significantly more compact than the OEM (and pricier) one offered by Fuji. It's on the lens in the photo I attached - it's an interesting looking and functional piece of gear whose design quite complements (in my opinion) the classic design aesthetic of the x70. Optional extra number two is a handmade braided paracord wrist strap, which I bought from a legitimate eBay seller (who also makes them) which is a near identical clone of the equally functional (and nice-looking) DSPTCH wrist strap on my GM5, which costs significantly more. The third optional extra is the synthetic leather 'skin' kit which covers the front of the camera - and looks like the synthetic leather covering that comes standard on the pricier Fujifilm cameras (like the XPro2), which in turn of course look like the original black leather coverings which Leitz started putting on Leica's 8 or 9 decades ago. The x70 normally comes with a bare metal black body --- the top plate is either silver or black - but the metal body itself is just the tiniest bit slippery - so having the leatherette covering is rather nice. I got mine mail-order from Aki-Asahi in Japan, who have been making cool (and well-fitting) real leather and leatherette camera skins for a long time.

Last edited:
Andrew - that's a nice card reader. The C-USB "thing" is something I'm just getting used too. My Macbook 12" refurb I just got has the C-USB one port setup. I got a card reader on Amazon for it and it works fine. However, finding an aftermarket charger has been a bit more of a task than I thought it would be. Good luck with the new card reader.
. . . David

Christilou - an excellent choice! I've had two over my time with Fuji. The last one was used and luckily in good shape. One of my favorites too. Good luck with the new lenses. 'Looking forward to seeing some images from it, (or through it.). ;-)
. . .David

My particular x70 has 3 extras, all of which were relatively inexpensive, and all of which enhance either the aesthetics or the practicality of the camera. First is a lenshood - made by Haoge - which is significantly more compact than the OEM (and pricier) one offered by Fuji. It's on the lens in the photo I attached - it's an interesting looking and functional piece of gear whose design quite complements (in my opinion) the classic design aesthetic of the x70. Optional extra number too is a handmade braided paracord wrist strap, which I bought from a legitimate eBay seller (who also makes them) which is a near identical clone of the equally functional (and nice-looking) DSPTCH wrist strap on my GM5, which costs significantly more. The third optional extra is the synthetic leather 'skin' kit which covers the front of the camera - and looks like the synthetic leather covering that comes standard on the pricier Fujifilm cameras (like the XPro2), which in turn of course look like the original black leather coverings which Leitz started putting on Leica's 8 or 9 decades ago. The x70 normally comes with a bare metal black body --- the top plate is either silver or black - but the metal body itself is just the tiniest bit slippery - so having the leatherette covering is rather nice. I got mine mail-order from Aki-Asahi in Japan, who have been making cool (and well-fitting) real leather and leatherette camera skins for a long time.

I like the way that skin looks and the innovative lens hood too. Nice looking kit.

It's end of summer and that means outdoor events, music festivals, airshows...and rain. Blech.

The fun purchase is a Sony HX-80 which is a superzoom 24-720mm equivalent, and the best part is that it has the same viewfinder style as the more expensive RX100s.

hx80.jpg

The not so fun but necessary purchases - Op/Tech USA Rain Sleeves (fits camera+lens combos up to 18" long) and for my compact a Dicapac Waterproof Pouch for my HX-80. Unfortunately, the Dicapac is going back, the pouch doesn't let me center up the HX-80s zoom lens and I'm going to damage the camera because it will power down after a while, retracting the lens. The alignment will probably not be correct when I do power it up and eventually ruin the extension mechanism. Not to mention the lens port isn't long enough to accommodate the lens at full extension even with the optional extender, and it vignettes when at minimum zoom. The rain sleeves are for my Fuji X cameras.

covers.jpg

My particular x70 has 3 extras, all of which were relatively inexpensive, and all of which enhance either the aesthetics or the practicality of the camera. First is a lenshood - made by Haoge - which is significantly more compact than the OEM (and pricier) one offered by Fuji. It's on the lens in the photo I attached - it's an interesting looking and functional piece of gear whose design quite complements (in my opinion) the classic design aesthetic of the x70. Optional extra number two is a handmade braided paracord wrist strap, which I bought from a legitimate eBay seller (who also makes them) which is a near identical clone of the equally functional (and nice-looking) DSPTCH wrist strap on my GM5, which costs significantly more. The third optional extra is the synthetic leather 'skin' kit which covers the front of the camera - and looks like the synthetic leather covering that comes standard on the pricier Fujifilm cameras (like the XPro2), which in turn of course look like the original black leather coverings which Leitz started putting on Leica's 8 or 9 decades ago. The x70 normally comes with a bare metal black body --- the top plate is either silver or black - but the metal body itself is just the tiniest bit slippery - so having the leatherette covering is rather nice. I got mine mail-order from Aki-Asahi in Japan, who have been making cool (and well-fitting) real leather and leatherette camera skins for a long time.

I went into a shop in Perth back in January with the full intention to buy one but I just couldn't hold it comfortably, a lot to do with the slipperiness versus the size to weight ratio... I reckon if they sold them like yours as a standard then I wouldn't have been able to put it down...

Last edited:
Well, after some years of resistance, but after another substantial price cut (20% off the usual retail price, less than $500), I finally pulled the trigger on a Panasonic FZ1000. It's not the lastest model, but it does everything I need from such a camera (and then some), and now for a lower price than its smaller sibling, the FZ300, usually goes for (and the price is also lower than any interchangeable superzoom lens that can match it quality-wise). We'll see how it goes.

M.

Well, after some years of resistance, but after another substantial price cut (20% off the usual retail price, less than $500), I finally pulled the trigger on a Panasonic FZ1000. It's not the lastest model, but it does everything I need from such a camera (and then some), and now for a lower price than its smaller sibling, the FZ300, usually goes for (and the price is also lower than any interchangeable superzoom lens that can match it quality-wise). We'll see how it goes.

M.

Nice purchase! Good for video as well as still photos. And its lens seems to be a bit better than the one on the newer and more-expensive FZ2500.

Amazon offered the FZ1000 for $499 during its Prime Days promotion in the U.S. a month or so ago. I spotted it just a bit too late and got on the waiting list in case anyone cancelled their order. But they did not.

Enjoy yours. :2thumbs:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a very lightly used (fewer than 500 clicks on the shutter) original, silver Fuji X100 is now on its way to my house. The price was just too good to resist. I had an X100T but traded it to help pay for an X-Pro2. I'm looking forward to checking out the only X100 series model with a traditional Bayer-array sensor.

Last edited:
I've been looking at telephoto lenses of late. I didn't want huge and expensive, but I did want to be able to pull in the view at times. I found a great deal on a brand new Fuji XC 50-230mm II, and a black one, at that. Balance on the X-T1 is excellent, and it is lighter and shorter than the Vivitar 70-150 I've been using, while giving me 50% more reach. I think my days of using adapted lenses on digital are coming to an end, although I'll still use MF lenses with film.

Apart from my many, many film-related purchases (q.v. on FilmForever), I've picked up Minolta 50mm MD f1.7, and 7artisans 25mm f1.8 lenses for my Sony a6000. Very pleased with both so far. The Minolta is especially good for macro when paired with an extension tube, and the little Chinese lens is a great all round FL with very nice bokeh.
Selling my Samyang 12mm has funded these plus all the film stuff. I think I made the right decision there, purely in terms of the fun I've had with the new purchases. I may miss the Samyang when we get the dark clear nights and I want to try yet again to capture the Milky Way, but hey we're still in summer :)

Back