GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

I've been looking at telephoto lenses of late. I didn't want huge and expensive, but I did want to be able to pull in the view at times. I found a great deal on a brand new Fuji XC 50-230mm II, and a black one, at that. Balance on the X-T1 is excellent, and it is lighter and shorter than the Vivitar 70-150 I've been using, while giving me 50% more reach. I think my days of using adapted lenses on digital are coming to an end, although I'll still use MF lenses with film.
The 50-230 is an excellent lens, Tony. If I went back to Fuji from Sony I'd pick one of those up like a shot.

Nice purchase! Good for video as well as still photos. And its lens seems to be a bit better than the one on the newer and more-expensive FZ2500.

Amazon offered the FZ1000 for $499 during its Prime Days promotion in the U.S. a month or so ago. I spotted it just a bit too late and got on the waiting list in case anyone cancelled their order. But they did not.

Enjoy yours. :2thumbs:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that a very lightly used (fewer than 500 clicks on the shutter) original, silver Fuji X100 is now on its way to my house. The price was just too good to resist. I had an X100T but traded it to help pay for an X-Pro2. I'm looking forward to checking out the only X100 series model with a traditional Bayer-array sensor.
Wow, that must have been stashed in a cupboard for a few years! I loved the images from the original X100 but could never get to grips with using it. I may have another go one day!

Just "invested" in the `panny FZ2000 bridge camera. I wanted length and wide angle for a carry anywhere camera with good video and a 1" sensor. Great swivel screen, slow mo' video (for a street shooting idea I have for the near future).

It is quite a heavy lump but am liking it so far. Will post pics soon.

Big one..

IMG_5486.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

New but not GAS
IMG_5494.JPG

Little one...
IMG_6489.JPG

Well, after some years of resistance, but after another substantial price cut (20% off the usual retail price, less than $500), I finally pulled the trigger on a Panasonic FZ1000. It's not the lastest model, but it does everything I need from such a camera (and then some), and now for a lower price than its smaller sibling, the FZ300, usually goes for (and the price is also lower than any interchangeable superzoom lens that can match it quality-wise). We'll see how it goes.
Just as a little follow-up to my earlier post, I'm pretty impressed with one specific aspect: The FZ1000 deploys *very* quickly for a superzoom compact; I was hoping it would, having read about it extensively online, but it's better than I had dared to hope; the FZ1000 is *much* faster to catch a first shot than the LX100 - and while those cameras are different enough to make comparing them pretty senseless, that's something to note because it makes shooting so much more enjoyable. Three things made me think about getting rid of the LX100, two of which are directly connected to speed: deploy time and the power zoom (the third is the tendency of the LCD to deteriorate in a very ugly way - but that can be counteracted with a good screen protector). So far so good - the next post won't be in this thread ;)

M.

Just as a little follow-up to my earlier post, I'm pretty impressed with one specific aspect: The FZ1000 deploys *very* quickly for a superzoom compact; I was hoping it would, having read about it extensively online, but it's better than I had dared to hope; the FZ1000 is *much* faster to catch a first shot than the LX100 - and while those cameras are different enough to make comparing them pretty senseless, that's something to note because it makes shooting so much more enjoyable. Three things made me think about getting rid of the LX100, two of which are directly connected to speed: deploy time and the power zoom (the third is the tendency of the LCD to deteriorate in a very ugly way - but that can be counteracted with a good screen protector). So far so good - the next post won't be in this thread ;)

M.

I almost got the FZ1000 for an upcoming trip, but finally decided it would not be enough to cause me to leave my Pen-F and the 12-40 at home, and carrying both would be too much, since I'm going to be lugging many large gifts with me. It's a very attractive alternative to lugging a lot with you. I'll probably take a small Olympus Stylus 1s with me for more telephone reach.

So, instead (cause I had that bee in my bonnet that said "buy something"!) I got a Sony RX-1 to replace a Leica X1 that I sold to help finance the purchase (and which I will miss). Thus begins the slippery slope of adventures in full frame. The camera should arrive today and the viewfinder for it tomorrow. I got very good deals on both, so the two together came in at around $1100. If I love it half as much as I love the Pen with the 12-40 F2.8, I'll be very happy indeed. I like having a fixed lens 35mm compact around.

My youngest managed to kill my wife's camera (it was one of those jobbies with the telescoping barrel design), so I had to replace it, and decided it's best to get one more robust without that vulnerability- Fuji XP120. My son approves the accent color - it's his favorite. The missus doesn't like the fact that we have to use rechargeables now, the old one could go forever on a pair of AAs, but that's the price you pay for more capability.

IMG_20170825_171221.jpg

To quote Goose from Top Gun "I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE DOING THIS." Yeah, well, if I'm staying in Fuji X land, it had to happen - especially since I've pushed the 55-200 to it's limits and then some. No regrets!

IMG_20170825_170947.jpg

Last edited:
Troy, what is that good-looking 8-18 all about? First time I've heard of that lens. And photos from it or user impressions?

It's Panasonic's answer to the Olympus 7-14pro with MOAR reach and the ability to take screw on filters. I bought it for landscapes but it turns out it's my perfect walk around solution for cityscapes and street photography... (y)

P1030875.JPG

P1040400.JPG

P1040457.JPG

P1040618.JPG

P1040537.JPG

P1040532.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I did it . . . sprang for an inexpensive Pentax K-30 with a low shutter count. Why? Dunno, nostalgia maybe. My wife tried to talk me out of selling the first one I had - should have listened. I still have a couple of lenses laying around that will fit it, so I thought, why not? I will say the Pentax UI is super simple to navigate. The K-30 isn't really a compact, but it's not huge, either. Here's my X-T1 and the K-30, both with 18-55 kit lenses: Compact Camera Meter

Back