GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Well, I did it . . . sprang for an inexpensive Pentax K-30 with a low shutter count. Why? Dunno, nostalgia maybe. My wife tried to talk me out of selling the first one I had - should have listened. I still have a couple of lenses laying around that will fit it, so I thought, why not? I will say the Pentax UI is super simple to navigate. The K-30 isn't really a compact, but it's not huge, either. Here's my X-T1 and the K-30, both with 18-55 kit lenses: Compact Camera Meter

Yeah there is something in cameras we got rid of. Last year (or was it the year before) I replaced my on-sold K200D with one bought via Pentaxforums, cost me $175 with a battery grip I never use. Another $70 (I’m talking AUD all the way here so in USD a lot less for both) for the desperately needed sensor clean, and its good as new. The other one I sold which I wish I had not, was the K-r I had. I just *had* to have a K5 (no, i did not!) and sold the K-r. For me, and how I shoot, the K-r was the much better (and lighter) option. And, if I can pick one up cheaply in the future, I will do so.

Here's a cabinet I made to display some of my old film cameras. The metal window I got at our local dump for $10. Most of the other materials I had on hand in the shop.

View attachment 128198

I recognize the Stereo Realist in there. I bought one of those on a whim at an estate sale 15 years ago and then had to visit my local camera shop to find out if I could buy film for it and still use it. I was (and did!). I had mixed results without truly understanding exposure or knowing how to use a light meter, but on sunny days, I got AMAZING 3D film shots that really pop. Unfortunately gave it up after a year....and I'm not sure anyone processes, cuts and mounts 3D slide film anymore. But when I showed people the slides, they all said something to the effect of "why isn't everybody shooting like this". Once you see your memories captured in 3D, it's hard to argue.

Last edited:
Yeah there is something in cameras we got rid of. Last year (or was it the year before) I replaced my on-sold K200D with one bought via Pentaxforums, cost me $175 with a battery grip I never use. Another $70 (I’m talking AUD all the way here so in USD a lot less for both) for the desperately needed sensor clean, and its good as new. The other one I sold which I wish I had not, was the K-r I had. I just *had* to have a K5 (no, i did not!) and sold the K-r. For me, and how I shoot, the K-r was the much better (and lighter) option. And, if I can pick one up cheaply in the future, I will do so.
Yeah, I've done that a couple of times. Don't know why I get so restless and "have" to try other cameras. I have printed some of my best images through the years, and without digging through my archives, would have a hard time telling you which camera captured which image.

I recognize the Stereo Realist in there. I bought one of those on a whim at an estate sale 15 years ago and then had to visit my local camera shop to find out if I could buy film for it and still use it. I was (and did!). I had mixed results without truly understanding exposure or knowing how to use a light meter, but on sunny days, I got AMAZING 3D film shots that really pop. Unfortunately gave it up after a year....and I'm not sure anyone processes, cuts and mounts 3D slide film anymore. But when I showed people the slides, they all said something to the effect of "why isn't everybody shooting like this". Once you see your memories captured in 3D, it's hard to argue.
I shot quite a few rolls with the Stereo Realist in my film days. In the 1970s the Oakland (Calif.) Camera Club had an annual evening of stereo slides. Quite spectacular projected on a screen. Some of the views looked like you could walk right into the scene.

I haven't taken delivery yet but I've got a Nikon SQ on it's way from ebay... I'm building up a bit of a collection of "vintage" digital cameras...

Here's the K-30 with my mint copy of the Vivitar 70-150 f3.8 Close Focus (I already had the lens). Despite the performance of modern high grade AF lenses, I can't seem to fully get away from legacy lenses, so I have a few I pull out from time to time.

DSCF8684.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back