GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Grandpa posing with mother's finest: M4-P with my first M mount 35mm (Voigtländer Nokton Classic), M10 with my latest (and greatest - Zeiss Distagon).
DSC_2576.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Got it used for 60% of the price; apart from a bit of wear on the outside, everything's tip-top.

M.

I was seriously looking at a FZ1000. Oddly, this lead to the purchase of the XF 27 2.8 for the XE3 and the Samyang 35 2.8 for the A7. :hmmm: That’s the last time I ask Luke for advice.
I think you chose wisely - and Luke did help. My take is easy to illustrate:

DSC_2582.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Small lenses are a boon - and good as the FZ1000 basically is, its portablility is, shall we say, limited; put differently, I generally pick up a FF camera with nice glass whenever I'm fine with that kind of size (at the moment, that means the Z 6 with 24-70mm). But for walk-around shooting, I usually take something smaller - the A7 II represents a kind of upper limit there. In short, I wouldn't use the FZ1000 as an EDC.

The X-E3, on the other hand, would certainly fit that purpose - and the A7 might, too.

The Samyang 35mm f/2.8 is my most used lens on the A7 II, giving me a really compact FF package with my favourite FoV, sufficiently good AF and very nice IQ. And the A7 is even smaller ...

Still, the FZ1000 will probably survive all forthcoming purges because it's so useful - and so cheap; it's a "no worries" camera in all respects but low light.

M.

Some new strings for my ukulele. And since this is a photo site . . . .

View attachment 191630

I have 3 ukuleles, a concert, a tenor and a baritone which I have strung with standard tuning ukulele strings from aquila. It sound rich and full bodied like a fine wine :)
None were particularly expensive but I just enjoy the sound.

I think you chose wisely - and Luke did help. My take is easy to illustrate:

View attachment 192145

Small lenses are a boon - and good as the FZ1000 basically is, its portablility is, shall we say, limited; put differently, I generally pick up a FF camera with nice glass whenever I'm fine with that kind of size (at the moment, that means the Z 6 with 24-70mm). But for walk-around shooting, I usually take something smaller - the A7 II represents a kind of upper limit there. In short, I wouldn't use the FZ1000 as an EDC.

The X-E3, on the other hand, would certainly fit that purpose - and the A7 might, too.

The Samyang 35mm f/2.8 is my most used lens on the A7 II, giving me a really compact FF package with my favourite FoV, sufficiently good AF and very nice IQ. And the A7 is even smaller ...

Still, the FZ1000 will probably survive all forthcoming purges because it's so useful - and so cheap; it's a "no worries" camera in all respects but low light.

M.
That's good to know. I like the A7 body but the Rokinon 50 1.4 is really big and heavy. I admit I didn't use the A7 much initially because I was so appalled by the size of such a "normal" lens. I've gone back and forth quite a bit about buying the Samyang. It is funny, however, that I bought two lenses of similar focal length for two different formats. I should learn from the fact that I seem to be buying the same camera over and over again.

I should learn from the fact that I seem to be buying the same camera over and over again.

Likewise. There are several cameras of which I have owned more than one copy. I have gone back and forth between m4/3 and Fuji a couple of times. Each has its appeal.

I've been through this with the X-Pro2. First having sold one when I had a pair of them because I thought I wanted to go back to the X-T1. Then having sold one when I thought I needed a X-T2. Now I've sold a bunch of bodies and landed back with the X-Pro2. This time to stay.

I've been through this with the X-Pro2. First having sold one when I had a pair of them because I thought I wanted to go back to the X-T1. Then having sold one when I thought I needed a X-T2. Now I've sold a bunch of bodies and landed back with the X-Pro2. This time to stay.
I peek at Fuji every now and then. The new 16-80 WR may be a game changer. I could possibly see myself in the future with an X-T2 and a 16-80. I have other financial priorities than camera gear right now, but that is a combination I may rent later in 2019. We just had to fork over a chunk of cash for some home maintenance, so camera gear changes will have to wait a while.

Wait, you got a G9 and didn’t tell us? I feel so hurt.

I thought that's what I did on this thread LOL!

Last fall, my GX85 struggled with focusing on a black motorcycle moving against a busy background trees. Shots like this:

43803064070_eddc9ed17e_c.jpg
NH 132 New Hampton, New Hampshire
by John Flores, on Flickr

So after two years of great use, I thought about upgrading. I was leaning towards the smaller form factor GX9 but its AF seems one step down from the G9 and it didn't have a mic input. Plus, with the G9 I also got $500 off the PL 8-18, something I couldn't do with the GX9. So it only cost me $1800 to save $1000!

Back