GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Jock, congrats on the Mk IV - I love my III. I see, like me, almost as much fun can be had accessorizing. :drinks:

That was actually a package deal . . . all that stuff for $100 less than the usual price of the RX10 IV. Since a memory card, external charger, extra battery, protective filter, and rear screen protector were all part of the deal (and those were things I would need anyway), it seemed like the way to go. The tripod isn't bad and has a quick release plate. I don't know if I will ever use the flash/video light unit or the memory card wallet or image recovery software. The small camera backpack is really kind of weird, and I haven't taken the time to figure it out since I have a shoulder bag that I prefer.

Cheers, Jock

Last edited:
I picked up a minty used copy of the Nikon 105mm 1.4 E lens for a really good price . So far focus seems spot-on using both my Nikon D750 and Sony A7 III + Commlite ENF-E1 adapter. Lens is sharp wide open, but with crazy/smooth OOF rendering. I'm split right now 50/50 if I should keep it or sell the lens, since I'd have to sell some stuff to make room. It's a bit slow to focus, kind of heavy, but it renders like no other lens on the market!

Size-wise it's a tad smaller than the Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art, but doesn't focus as fast. It also works fine on my Sony A7 III, which I find funny because some of the best lenses you can use on a Sony body is Nikon glass! :D

A couple shots of the 105mm 1.4 E mounted on the Sony A7 III + Commlite ENF-E1 Pro adapter:

32823965107_4ae05fc907_b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

190503_NIKON_105_GEAR_PHOTOS_FRIOLO by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

32823965777_73597b2603_b.jpg

The Grandpa Nikon 105mm 2.5 AI-S next to the Grandson 105mm 1.4 E:
32823967897_6a73f6b7e6_b.jpg

So, a thing happened yesterday... :coffee-79:

original.jpg

Z6 bundle with FTZ, XQD card, camera bag. Also picked up the RRS base plate, spare battery, card reader, and LM-NZ adapter. Will use the Z with these lenses for a while and see how I get along with the ergos and performance. If it looks like a good match for me, I'll add a Z lens or two after making a decision on what other gear goes on the chopping block.

Inspired by the wonderful stuff produced by @Nuskyn I have swapped my LX100 for an RX100 mk 3. It will be much more carryable (?) for holidays and general travel. From a first play I like the new 2 row Fn option, it seems to focus closer than the Mk 1, and the viewfinder is a nice bonus. I prefer it to the one in the LX100 even though it's lower resolution. I may even get to take some photos with it soon!!

Last edited:
My DJI Osmo Mobile gonna died. Contacted DJI about repair (out of warranty, of course). $65/hour and it will take 2 hours. Um... New ones are $140...

I notice this is a largely documented issue about the Osmo Mobile, so instead of investing in another DJI, found Zhiyun Smooth 4 for $80 brand new.

Lovely device, already did some initial tests and it will work out fine for what I need.

Sony A6000 - a total impulse buy, a camera I definitely don't need. But the offer was so good I just couldn't resist ...

Still, I'm quite happy I finally got one to play around with - because essentially, it has already cured any future GAS for Sony's APS-C line. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine camera, especially for the price I paid, it's just not one that I enjoy shooting with overly much. I'll give it a couple of weeks before deciding if I move it on or not; it may still find its place as a cheap stand-in for just about every other camera I own - because in most ways, it's sufficiency personified, and that alone can be seen as quite a feat. And it does click rather nicely with the somewhat capricious Samyang 24mm f/2.8 FE ...

One specific observation, though: It's snappier in operation than the A7 II (both cameras using the latest firmware) - that's something I didn't expect; maybe it has something to do with the A7 II's I.B.I.S. ... The A7 II's AF is more reliable, though.

Everything else about the A6000 is - by today's standards - decidedly pedestrian; the GX9 is the much more rounded camera, and the G1X III produces more pleasing files (by some margin).

M.

Got a new light travel zoom camera. A Samsung WB750.
I used to have the WB700 and liked it but I gave it away years ago.
I found a very cheap WB750 in excellent condition.
Good zoom range, great battery life, easy to use and very pocketable.
Image quality is good.
I also acquired a GoPro Hero + LCD refurbished from GoPro UK. Silly price.
This will be given to 8yo nephew to use over the holiday.

Although it's not a new model of camera to me, I did exchange my broken XH1 for a higher grade demo version, this time with the grip, for some extra money. I'm looking forward to actually using this camera without the random "stuck in video mode" problem.

Sold my Fuji kit in 2 mins on eBay ( their 15% off promotion for buyers, and free sales, both came in handy!). I’ve just received a Panasonic G7 and the Panny 12-60 lens for a very reasonable price from Camerajungle. I like it a lot from a little scoot around the controls and menus. I may now be able to afford extra lenses - that’s the main reason I decided to give up on Fuji (again). The lenses are great but boy are they pricey.

Olympus E-M1 mk2... Been to-ing and fro-ing a lot about that one :)
Or if I should rather go for an RX10mk4... But the RX10 would have added yet another system to my shelf and left my m43-system in the current (slightly unsatisfactory) state.

With the current instant and trade-in rebate the E-M1 mk2 is down to a "reasonable" price (in my view)... My first impressions are, it's a really nice camera - and focusses much better with the Oly 75-300mm than the mk1 did. Yay :)

Dropped by the Photographer's Gallery in central London and could not resist grabbing a few 35mm films.
I went for Kodak Vision 3 250D, Vision 3 50D, Tungsten Vision 3 500T, Tungsten Vision 3 200T.
All packaged by Nick & Trick.
Motion picture film with ramjet layer.
I found a few labs which will remove it and develop them.
I also have a couple of Cinefilm rolls on the way(Kodak motion picture without ramjet).

Back