GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Bought on evilbay 4-5 weeks ago but just arrived. Thought I'd pair it with something a little odd (its not at all unbalanced!) -

View attachment 204287

View attachment 204288

View attachment 204289

The adapters were shot with the Nikon lens (at f5.6) and roughly the same distance away - so the Viltrox with a cheap Nikon/M43 adapter and the cheap Nikon/M43 adapter was shot with the Viltrox. I didn't adjust the IS so theres not a lot of point zooming in. Intrigued to try this out on some of my lenses over the next few months.
The EPM1? I still have mine. I always enjoyed this little camera and, for some reason, the EPM2 didn't share the same attraction for me.

Last edited:
The EPL1? I still have mine. I always enjoyed this little camera and, for some reason, the EPL2 didn't share the same attraction for me.

No, I should have been clearer in my post - the Viltrox was my acquisition. I've had the E-PM1 for several years now. Its my last 12mp m43 camera since my E-P1 died.

No, I should have been clearer in my post - the Viltrox was my acquisition. I've had the E-PM1 for several years now. Its my last 12mp m43 camera since my E-P1 died.
Oh, no, that was clear. I just liked the body you chose for the odd pairing. I also made a mistake in my post. I meant EPMx not EPLx.

Last edited:
Just when I thought I was GAS-free this came along. I was impressed with Karen's videos shared in SiJy but could not justify another camera so went for a phone gimbal instead.
Arrives in a week and I can't really blame Briar. Will share some results after I've played with it. Btw phone apps unlock extra phone options like 4K, Slow-mo, timelapse etc.

Screenshot_2019-08-29 MOZA MINI - S Smart Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer Time-lapse Photography fo...png

Just when I thought I was GAS-free this came along. I was impressed with Karen's videos shared in SiJy but could not justify another camera so went for a phone gimbal instead.
Arrives in a week and I can't really blame Briar. Will share some results after I've played with it. Btw phone apps unlock extra phone options like 4K, Slow-mo, timelapse etc.
I'd be curious to read your results after you've had a chance to play with test it for a bit. :) What kind of phone are you going to pair it with?

I'd be curious to read your results after you've had a chance to play with test it for a bit. :) What kind of phone are you going to pair it with?
I have a Samsung S7 which technically is not fully supported. Emailed the company who said it will work but can't guarantee all functions will be available. At $102 AUD it is worth a try and may help me having PD. For interest it is a Moza Mini-S built by Gnudsen who make a lot of camera stabilzation gear. I also like that it folds down.

s-l1600.jpg

Bought a Hasselbad Xpan with the 45mm lens. It should arrive tomorrow.

I will look to sell my Leica M9-P to make for it.

I grew up in the film era but I didn't get into photography until the world was well into the digital age. May I trouble someone with questions about films and scanners, and potentially developing the film myself at home?

*Just found Ken Rockwall's guide to film photography.

Last edited:

I grew up in the film era but I didn't get into photography until the world was well into the digital age. May I trouble someone with questions about films and scanners, and potentially developing the film myself at home?

We have a film forum. You may want to post this over there as well in case none of them are looking here.

There is a lot of valuable information over in the film section, I think. And quite a few knowledgable people as well as enthusiasts. You should be fine over here :)

M.

Instead of editing a previous post, just a little note (that may or may not be helpful for others): Another step in the big purge completed - down to three distinctive compacts, each with its particular use case. LX100 and original GR gone, GR III in the house (and being appreciated!), so FZ1000 (superzoom), G1X III (zoom compact - weather resistant), GR III (super-compact street shooter) left, and that's it - unless some miracle occurs (not likely).

But that's not news, it's just keeping stock.

Going forward, I'm now contemplating which of two mirrorless systems to eliminate in earnest - and since it won't be the Nikon Z and 1 systems (the latter will stay - not for nostalgic reasons, but because I still enjoy shooting with the V1 occasionally), it comes down to either Sony (F)E or :mu43:. Quite a big difference, in use cases as well as system depth in my case. However, we're at a point where Sony E could actually replace :mu43: in my current usage - I'd have to let go of quite a few interesting options, though (long tele, including zooms, and fisheye and ultrawide options on the other end of the spectrum).

When I got into Sony (F)E, it was to be just a playground, and I have so far kept that promise I made to myself. However, I find myself enjoying the lowly (and dated, by now!) A6000 so much that it really makes me pause and think. Some say the A6600 is overpriced, but it brings together more or less everything I want in a small body that still can take big lenses. The new 16-55mm f/2.8 is the lens the system was sorely lacking. I concede that it'd be quite an expensive switch - but it might well be worth it once the dust has settled.

In spite of all this, I may well stick with :mu43: because it's still *the* best choice for a nice balance between compactness and performance - even though the GX9, mature and well-spec'd though it is, hasn't turned out the be-all-end-all body that I was hoping for, mainly because it just doesn't play well with bigger lenses (even when using the additional grip). So, in order to make things work for me again, I would definitely have to switch bodies again. Unfortunately, for my needs and desires, there's no other compelling option: The current G series bodies are too big for my liking, and Olympus doesn't have an up-to-date enthusiast model out yet. However, with the release of the Olympus E-M5 III around the corner (or at least, not as far away as it was), I may be able to decide this year and complete the whole plan within a year.

Exploring new gear and whole systems is fun, but it doesn't do anything for your time spent shooting, and it's certainly not conducive to getting familiar with a particular system.

What could complicate things would be other cameras hitting the market in the not-too-distant future, like, e.g., a Nikon Z APS-C body as has already been rumored online. Depending on what that would offer, hesitation might set in again. But then, it might speed things up as well - so, not to worry.

Even though it might seem counter-intuitive, this thread has been a major motivation to finally get things in check and stop diversifying. Of course, doing so for quite a number of years has left me with quite a few odds and ends, i.e. (too many) options. But I've been transitioning to more focussed decisions for a while now - and people sharing their motivation behind their purchases has helped a great deal.

M.

The GR III does a lot of things well, more so than previous GR models in my opinion. My GR II couldn't focus in low light, got really grainy at ISO 1600 and above (though I did sort of like the grain), wasn't really fast enough AF for a lot of street work, requiring me to prefocus or snap focus often, and the 16MP files weren't that conducive to cropping from the wide angle.

Now, I find the GR III handles cropping quite well, AF is considerably better in low light, plenty fast to AF for street, and the good high ISO performance and latitude in the RAWs makes it a very versatile camera. Previous to owning it, I considered my GX85 essential for shooting on the street, because I didn't have anything else that could obtain focus fast enough. Now I'm able to consider whether the GX85 is fulfilling other uses for me as well as it could. I've owned it for over 3 years and it has been a dependable camera, but the 16MP files just don't have the resolution that I find I'm wanting now. I like shooting with primes, but I do like being able to crop a little if it's appropriate.

I've put my GX85 with the Olympus 25mm f1.8 on the Bay to see if there's any interest at a price I consider reasonable. Keeping the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 because it's a magic lens, which I've had a long road of experience with (and owned twice), along with the 12-32mm pancake that sits on my wife's GF7. If I sell the GX85, the GF7 will be the only M4/3 camera in the house for the moment. Then I will decide what I am looking for in a different system, or which M4/3 body would suit me better.

@MoonMind I never got excited for the GX9, as it seems like such a modest incremental boost over the GX85. It would make sense to pick one up for the 20MP sensor, but I am just not a fan of the EVF, I'd like a considerably better one. Ideally, I think I'd take a G9 in a heartbeat if I found one really cheap, the files from that body do look superb. But all the same, I need to decide what I'm looking for as I could branch into a different system quite easily at this point. I've looked at the Sony FE, I liked the ergonomics of the original A7 and the lenses available are intriguing, including the MF options - except that MF with an EVF just isn't all that fun. But then, the lens stable of M4/3 is unparalleled for mirrorless cameras. If lenses are what I want, it seems silly to move away from that.

If the EM5 III comes out and has just the right combination of features and price point, it could magically solve my indecisiveness. I do think I prefer SLR-style EVFs for mirrorless cameras over the RF style. If it's not the right camera, then I might even go so far afield as trying out a Sigma SD Quattro kit if I find one cheap. I'm all over the board right now.

The GR III proves to be a very enjoyable camera - in spite of the fact that I find it a tiny bit less nice in the hand than the GR precisely because it's even smaller! Surprisingly, the aspect I like the most so far is the ability to focus even closer, together with the strong performance at close focus distances; combine this with touch AF/release, and you have a super-easy way of snapping wayside details. File quality is indeed impressive, performance is fluid. I'm not yet very good at using the camera, though, but I'll get there.

As for the GX9, ironically, there's hardly anything wrong with the camera - but as much as I enjoy using it with primes, I don't like it anywhere near as much with zooms. Essentially, the bigger the setup gets, the I seem to feel comfortable with it. And that's a real shame, considering that the 12-40mm f/2.8 is one of my most loved lenses. Crucially, this wasn't the case with the E-M10, so the E-M5 III is what I rest my hopes on at the moment. In absolute terms, the GX9 really is a great tool (and a much better performer than the A6000, objectively!) and the best :mu43: body I've ever owned. And since :mu43: is my *small* system, anything much bigger just won't fit its use case (hence, the G9 and G90/95 just don't fulfill my personal needs). Bottomline, the problem definitely lies with me and my preferences ...

M.

I really wish Panasonic had put the 20MP sensor in the G85. The G95 is more expensive and larger, but the G85 seems like an ergonomic sweet spot with size.

I used an EM10 for a couple of years, and while it certainly wasn't perfect, there was a lot to like about the OM-D philosophy. While the GX85 slides in and out of a coat pocket easier, doesn't snag as much, is a little more stealthy, and objectively focuses faster than OM-D's, I think the GR III is taking over as my "stealth" camera, and I'm wanting more of a take-my-time, thoughtful approach in my other body.

My GX9 arrived this morning right after I came back from my bike ride. I'm quite looking forward to getting out and about with it and a couple of small primes. I have tried zooms in several different systems, and while IQ was never an issue, I always drift back to finding myself wanting smaller. The G80 + PL 12-60 was an excellent combination, but at the time, I was itching to jump back into Fuji. No regrets, but the G80 and X-T2 just confirmed for me that DSLR style bodies are not for me.

Back