GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Ok you won't believe me but I only placed a bid in support of a great lens. Didn't believe it went for so little. I only check Finnish markets you know, they're higher. You *have* to believe it wasn't GAS this time :D I only received the CV 50/1.5 not two days ago and this doesn't mean I'm totally out of control... I just bid on it because that's what I occasionally do in support of the seller. It wasn't GAS, it wasn't...

win.png

So... a thing happened today. A lens from a doomed system for a doomed camera arrived. Now, to make some decisions on what gear has to go. :coffee-79:

HD Pentax-D FA* 50/1.4

Initial impressions - it's a beast. AF is quite snappy compared to the older * and Limited lenses in my bag. I'm wobbly enough it's going to be difficult to keep focus nailed at f/1.4, so stopping down and tripod will be in more use.

original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I didn’t realize there was derision. It’s one of my favorite lenses, especially on the XE3.

When it was released, there were a vocal group of Fuji fanatics that weren't happy due to the lack of aperture ring, build quality was perceived as lesser, optical performance was considered less than the other lenses at the time, etc... First time I was with Fuji, I had one, and it was one of my most used lenses.

The A7Rii just arrived. The outer box was crushed a bit but the inner box is fine. I took a picture of my shoe trying to set the AF. That was the best shoe picture I've ever taken.
The lcd screen starting flashing so I sent it back. The replacement open box A7R III arrived today. :redface: So far I’ve made it through the first 155 pages of the 666 page “Help Guide”. 😈

Last edited:
The lcd screen starting flashing so I sent it back. The replacement open box A7R III arrived today. :redface: So far I’ve made it through the first 155 pages of the 666 page “Help Guide”.😵

"Only" 666 pages? For a "Help Guide"?? Dang... :eek:

edit - hope this one works flawlessly for you.

Thanks. This one is essentially new and has been in action since 2:30 without issue. Same size as an EM1 II but as heavy as the XH1. I don’t think i’ve ever felt a camera as dense as this one. Unfortunately, the same is true for the settings and menus. RTFM is my only hope.🤓

So... a thing happened today. A lens from a doomed system for a doomed camera arrived. Now, to make some decisions on what gear has to go. :coffee-79:

HD Pentax-D FA* 50/1.4

Initial impressions - it's a beast. AF is quite snappy compared to the older * and Limited lenses in my bag. I'm wobbly enough it's going to be difficult to keep focus nailed at f/1.4, so stopping down and tripod will be in more use.

View attachment 205287

What a lovely beast of a lens.
And from what I hear in Pentaxian circles, one of the truly outstanding pieces of glass to mate with a K-1. I think you scored a truly fine lens here --- congrats!!!

What a lovely beast of a lens.
And from what I hear in Pentaxian circles, one of the truly outstanding pieces of glass to mate with a K-1. I think you scored a truly fine lens here --- congrats!!!

Thanks Miguel. Now the question becomes, can I put it to proper use? :hiding:

Having bought a long since (years and years, at least) discontinued camera - the Ricoh Rx1R (the 1st gen model without an AA filter), I figure it would only be appropriate to accesorize it with another long-since discontinued item, made by a company that I believe went out of business some 3 or 4 years back. The item is a leather half-case - made in Japan by Ulysses - featuring a clever bottom panel which unsnaps for easy SD card - battery access - and a nifty built-in leather handle which improves the feel-in-hand (aka handling) of what is otherwise a simplistic bar-of-soap-body desgin.

Three extra benefits: the case fits the camera, literally, like a glove....it was beautifully made....and it looks kinda cool.

UlyssesCase#1.jpg

UlyssesCase#2.jpg

UlyssesCase#3.jpg

@MiguelATF Ulysses is still around though, at least they have a website! Hard to find in the States however.

Thanks for the correction.
They stopped making Rx1R cases after the camera was replaced by the 2nd generation - ii - version. I found this one used on fleabay aka evilbay - via a seller from Australia, of all places. Did I mention it fits the camera beautifully?

Nice little slip there :) Ricoh ousting Sony in this field - that would be quite something ...

M.

You're right, Matt --- a total Freudian slip - calling my new (to me) Rx1R a Ricoh, instead of a Sony ... but it does appropriately reflect how I feel about the camera: a fine and relatively small (though not really pocketably, unless one has large-ish pockets) ultra-high-quality fixed-lens compact camera. My former Ricoh GR belonged to that club, as did my former Coolpix A - and as almost does my current Canon G1x Mk III (it doesn't really qualify because of having a zoom, instead of a fixed semi-wide-angle like the other members of the club, obviously).

What is really surprising to me is how much more compact the G1x3 is (or feels) than the Rx1R. A lot of that has to do with the Rx1R's lens - which though relatively small compared to some DSLR optics, is beefy for a compact camera. By comparison, the G1x3's lens (to me an impressively fine zoom) seems dinky. And obviously it can't match the Zeiss lens's low-light capabilities. And probably to some, mentioning the Canon's lens in the same paragraph as the Sony's ultra-great Zeiss lens will seem like heresy....but, in its own ways, it's truly fine :)

Back