GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Manfrotto 500AH Fluid Tripod Head and a Kirk Enterprises replacement bridge plate for this FTH.

Fluid Head.jpg

Nikon Z6 + Nikkor 24-70mm @ 1/25 f4 ISO1250

Last edited:
They totally will. But I was barely able to get through a couple of paid shoots with the primes. Where the zoom versatility would have made it a cake walk. Now I just have the resist the call of the primes 😵

This is a struggle with me too.
I'm starting to realize that I may need both.
For the time being, I'm going to add another trigger and run two bodies.

A “prime” example of how photography differs as a hobby and as a job.

Relevant and funny on such a high level.

This is a struggle with me too.
I'm starting to realize that I may need both.
For the time being, I'm going to add another trigger and run two bodies.
I may find I need a prime or two, or want for creative purposes, down the road. You are spot on about it being a struggle. But my days of selling/buying just what I need at the time are past me. I'm going to build a kit based around the 16-55/50-140. Getting yourself a second body is also a good idea for the purpose of having a backup. That's the main reason I picked up a second X-T2/battery grip. While you can reschedule portraits if a malfunction happens. It's always easier to swap out bodies and keep going. This is the other reason I'm thinking the 18-55 is good to get. It can be a backup to the 16-55.

This morning I traded my Sony A7Rm2 for the A7Rm4. I got a good trade-in price and an additional € 400 discount on the new camera. Saliant detail: the seller asked his manager if the discount offer was still valid because Sony had retracted some discounts because of the Covid-19 outbreak. Fortunately this discount wasn't affected and moreover the store manager said that he had made an agreement with me last week, so the deal stood. Phew! Now digging through the menus and setting up the camera, will take me a couple more hours.

S01-20200303-010.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

How are you liking it?
I just ordered a 60". Was $50 off.
I think it might be pretty useful.
I love it! You are right in that it is very useful. The black backing is removable, making it a shoot through umbrella. There are so many angles you can position these in. I also have a pair of the 60". For headshots I put a 60 on either side of the person, and the 88 right behind me.
T2B14187-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I plan on getting a pair of the 45" instead of strip boxes.

I need to do the math and figure out how big a zoom is equivalent to cropped a 61 MP image down to 6 mp. Unfortunately, my students and colleagues seem to feel that I need to teach my classes.

I've written a python program for this kind of calculation!

Assuming a 3:2 sensor of 61 megapixels, and a pic taken with a 50 mm lens, you can crop it down to 159 mm equivalent at 6.0 megapixels.

In normal street zoom terms, if you sport a 24 mm lens on the body, you can go up to 75 mm equiv and you keep 6.2 megapixels.

$ ./fov_vs_area.py -a 61 -s 24 28 35 50 75
Cropping from 24 to 28, we go from 61.0 to 44.8 megapixels
Cropping from 24 to 35, we go from 61.0 to 28.7 megapixels
Cropping from 24 to 50, we go from 61.0 to 14.1 megapixels
Cropping from 24 to 75, we go from 61.0 to 6.2 megapixels

Being that I love the little Panasonic lenses too much, I now suddenly decided to check the Panasonic camp and bought a well-kept GX80 (GX85).

This is not the right direction I wanted to take with my "secondary" system (wanted lightweight and super cheap; this is 100 grams more and 150 euros more) but the EPL5 is not delivering all that well, and I've had my share of experiences from Olympus bodies. Who knows, maybe Panasonic is the one that clicks with me on a deep spiritual level and soon I'm selling my Leicas to buy GX8's and G9's in triplicates. :confused-95:

One can hope.

Back