GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

I've owned both the XT10 and 20. While they are good cameras with nice output, I've tried numerous cameras with the center-mounted EVF, and I'm just not a fan. I've never kept any camera with that configuration for very long.
I’ve seen very little mention of this series on this forum, especially compared to all the other Fuji bodies. I’ve always found that curious.

I've owned both the XT10 and 20. While they are good cameras with nice output, I've tried numerous cameras with the center-mounted EVF, and I'm just not a fan. I've never kept any camera with that configuration for very long.
Since shooting Fuji, I am the same way. I only move to something like the X-T2 when the performance is needed for AF. But the rangefinders have become my loves.

On a different note. It seems that after getting back into more fun, casual shooting. My preferences have shifted, and I'm trying to keep a simple kit again for a while. So I did some trading around while my getting my dad's other lenses to sell. I'm going to run with a 16/35/56 trio.

I don't know what it says about me...but the more I see these old film cameras, the more I wish newer cameras took more design cues from them now. I know there are some...and it is one of the reasons I love the Olympus PEN-F and the Fuji XPro and X100 lines. I realize I'm in the minority here.

Sexy, functional, no frills for a pleasant shooting experience.

I look at my shelf in the office and see all those film rangefinders and TLR cameras.....lovely devices and still in working condition today.
No, not in the minority. With the rumors about a new Pen F (and possibly 2 versions according to one rumor), I would love to see a much simplified version. I'd love an update with the newest phase AF sensor, basic sealing, and half (or less) of the bells and whistles.

My X-E3ish camera.
View attachment 224099
Hi-res mode with the Sigma 60. Up close it looks like it'd give the DP2m a run for the money.
I went from the GX85 to the X-E3 and now to the Pen F.

FWIW, I never minded the 20mm's AF when shooting it on the E-PM1 - but what I didn't like was the unruly, ratchety aperture mechanism. The 20mm is no speed demon, but pretty accurate; I still find it more than adequate to use on the GF1 where the aperture doesn't rattle so much. I guess that's happening if the camera gets the lens ready to shoot - on Olympus bodies, AF efficiency seems to be "prioritised", which may make the aperture open up again after user adjustments and metering ... I'm not sure, but that's what it looks like.

However, I now own the 27mm f/2.8 - and the 20mm isn't far behind at all, neither in IQ (where I think it's equally good, with the advantage of a brighter aperture) nor in AF speed. Only deploy time is lagging (it takes its time to wake up on Olympus bodies).

But as you know: All other lenses you mention (14mm, 15mm, 17mm) *clearly* beat the 20mm for speed. I'm glad I'm not facing the conundrum you've put yourself into, David: For me, the advantages of the 15mm over the 17mm optically are fortunately obvious, and the 15mm does away with all weaknesses the 20mm has, whereas as a compact pancake lens, the 20mm holds its own, especially since its optics are really something worthwhile, always have been. That's not the case for the 17mm in my opinion - nice enough, but not on the same level (aberrations are too high for my taste, resulting in only *mostly* pleasing images). Wether you keep the 14mm or the 15mm (or both), the 20mm makes the better companion in my view. Of course, YMMV.

If Panasonic would take the time to upgrade the electronics (motor, control) of the 20mm, I'd be all over the result ...

M.

I got the Fuji 27mm when I had the X-E3 specifically because it seemed like a great P20 alternative that did have the P20's AF issues.

I've of two minds of the P20. It's a lens that I love everything about except AF speed and AF in lower light. Size, image quality, and focal length are wonderful. My problem is that generally when I want a "faster" prime it's because I need faster AF in lower light and not shallow DoF. So I could get a P20 to go with my P14 as a pancake pair and also keep the PL15 to pair with my PL25 when AF speed in lower light is the need.

My dad was very kind to give a 27mm pancake to my son and I to share. It looks like on the X-E3, that could be a pocket camera.
1591092948690.png

My dad was very kind to give a 27mm pancake to my son and I to share. It looks like on the X-E3, that could be a pocket camera.
View attachment 224694
Again, a great catch! It's a nifty little lens, one of my favourite pancakes ever ... (nothing beats the old Contax Tessar, but the 27mm is more or less the equal of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7).

M.

Fuji adapter and 2 lens hoods arrived, on time, despite the obvious potential issues.

After running the adapter fit guide, my Voigtlander Vintage Line Color-Skopar 21/3.5 is a no-go for the Fuji adapter. I'll keep it on a Rayqual adapter, the other lenses are good to go for the Fuji. It's nice being able to call up the lens menu from the adapter.

Now, to get out and use the stuff when I feel up to it.

Picked up a second Nikon F locally - previous one was from Japan and it worked fine but the seller didn't mention the stuck prism head (not really a big deal but it would be nice to clean it out). This one is in better nick, prism comes off as it should and only has a bit of cosmetic wear to it.

49986754481_bc95543e7b_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_6090053 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

I completed a project this weekend, modifying and mounting a 3" Picatinny rail on the Olympus 300mm lens tripod collar. A removable dot sight slides on and off in seconds, held by 2 socket head bolts. This should make the alignment stay the same every time it's mounted without having to sight it in again.
49992932492_fc56a2d173_c.jpg

Completed Dot Sight Mounting Project
by Graham Moore, on Flickr

I completed a project this weekend, modifying and mounting a 3" Picatinny rail on the Olympus 300mm lens tripod collar. A removable dot sight slides on and off in seconds, held by 2 socket head bolts. This should make the alignment stay the same every time it's mounted without having to sight it in again.
View attachment 225411
Completed Dot Sight Mounting Project by Graham Moore, on Flickr
This may be a dumb question. But, what do you use the red dot for on a camera?

This may be a dumb question. But, what do you use the red dot for on a camera?
The principles are the same for firearms and telephoto lenses.
The angle of view is so narrow with a long telephoto lens that it's almost impossible to acquire and track fast moving birds or aircraft looking through the viewfinder. The dot sight has 1:1 magnification so you can look outside the edges of the sight window, reposition the camera so the bird's inside the window and align the bright dot onto your target. If you've set up the sight alignment to match the lens center, you're going to be able to shoot pictures of the bird as it flies. Autofocus looks after that issue, you just have to aim.

The principles are the same for firearms and telephoto lenses.
The angle of view is so narrow with a long telephoto lens that it's almost impossible to acquire and track fast moving birds or aircraft looking through the viewfinder. The dot sight has 1:1 magnification so you can look outside the edges of the sight window, reposition the camera so the bird's inside the window and align the bright dot onto your target. If you've set up the sight alignment to match the lens center, you're going to be able to shoot pictures of the bird as it flies. Autofocus looks after that issue, you just have to aim.
That’s brilliant! I’ve never considered anything like it. Having tried photographing birds in flight or aircraft I see the genius behind this. This is my mind blown 🤯 moment for the day.

Kine Exakta
with Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar f:2.8/5 cm
and extension tubes
Ihagee Dresden Kine Exacta__1-01.jpeg

It's old, really, in more ways than one, because I got it last week. And, from now on, my posts will be going downhill from this, the first one... Be warned!

Last edited:
I recently had the misfortune of my newly acquired Sigma 60mm 2.8 depositing a large fiber from the depths of the lens innards to right under the element almost dead center.

I don't think it would've effected image quality but my OCD cried out.
And opportunity. So I returned it and picked up a 56 1.4.

The 60 was a deterrent from spending on the 56. And a bandaid for the Sigma 30 which tried really hard but always fell just a little short.

Now two halves are a whole and the GAS tank has been filled.
five.six.jpg

Back