GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

That’s brilliant! I’ve never considered anything like it. Having tried photographing birds in flight or aircraft I see the genius behind this. This is my mind blown 🤯 moment for the day.
Way back when I was briefly into Pentax, I spent a lot of time on pentaxforums.com. One of the trends in those days was to photograph birds with the original Pentax Q, using one of many adapters then available. I actually bought a red dot gun site to do the same. Some guys were really good, and had really big lenses on their Q. Longest I tried was a 200mm, and I found focusing to be very tricky. My results were mixed.

Way back when I was briefly into Pentax, I spent a lot of time on pentaxforums.com. One of the trends in those days was to photograph birds with the original Pentax Q, using one of many adapters then available. I actually bought a red dot gun site to do the same. Some guys were really good, and had really big lenses on their Q. Longest I tried was a 200mm, and I found focusing to be very tricky. My results were mixed.
I was one of those guys, although I didn't go specifically for birds and I wasn't really good. I used an old SMC Pentax 50 1.4 (pre-M). Here's a shot of the Q with the adapted 50:
Q50.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a shot from the Q with the adapted 50. I believe the crop factor is 5.5, making it a 275 mme:
Q+50.jpg

These were both shot today because all of this is sitting in my office. I just can't bring myself to part with the Q. It has many flaws, but it is a jewel for what it is. I also tried the old M200 f4 on the Q. "Focus is tricky" is like saying "Eating a tire is hard". I had more luck with the old M50 f4 macro. You needed to use some kind of physical stabilization but the DoF was amazing for a macro.

Sorry to go off topic like this. I have a report I don't want to write and Turley brought it up. ;)

Last edited:
It was the "classic" setup of those times on the Super TL: 2,8/35mm, 1,8/50mm and I think the 2,8/135mm (these last two are somewhere in the basement). Doesn't look bad with half a century gone.
View attachment 213643

But the original kit lens set sold with the camera, in the ugly rectangular camera bag, was:
Orestogon f:2.8/29 mm, Domiplan f:2.8/50 mm, and Orestor f:2.8/135 mm.
All made by Meyer Optik Görlitz.

Last edited:
An $89 no name 7.5mm Fisheye for mFT. What actually arrived in the plain white box with a little m43 sticker was a Risespray. I think it's the same as the 7 Artisans(?). I wasn't able to give it a workout as it's a Father's Day gift but I did sneak it out of the box and snap off a few. From the LCD it looks like this may be a viable, cheap answer to the Samyang. Pretty tiny for an APS-C design and build quality is nice.

My dad was very kind to give a 27mm pancake to my son and I to share. It looks like on the X-E3, that could be a pocket camera.
Again, a great catch! It's a nifty little lens, one of my favourite pancakes ever ... (nothing beats the old Contax Tessar, but the 27mm is more or less the equal of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7).

M.
The 27mm does indeed make the X-E3 jacket pocket friendly. That and the X70 I had were a great 1 - 2 punch of pocket options.

But since I moved back to just m4/3 I just picked up a P20 (thanks @AndyH44) to go with my P14.

Picked up another oly 9mm BCL. Fun little lens that makes up in character what it lacks in sharpness.
I think I need to find a slightly larger EDC bag to fit the Pen, P14, P20, & my 9mm BCL.

Another book. Yesterday we visited an exhibition of Vivian Maier's color work in Amsterdam. While I liked it, the B&W work speaks to me a little more, so I bought a book with that; I later may regret not having bought the color book...

S01-20200617-001.jpg

Edit: just decided to get the color book as well before it's going to be sold out. Learnt long ago that you buy a book as soon as you start thinking that you'll regret not buying it, because it will be sold out at the time you get to it.

Last edited:
I recently had the misfortune of my newly acquired Sigma 60mm 2.8 depositing a large fiber from the depths of the lens innards to right under the element almost dead center.

I don't think it would've effected image quality but my OCD cried out.
And opportunity. So I returned it and picked up a 56 1.4.

The 60 was a deterrent from spending on the 56. And a bandaid for the Sigma 30 which tried really hard but always fell just a little short.

Now two halves are a whole and the GAS tank has been filled.
View attachment 225446
'cause with M4/3, when you CAN go f1.4... you do it!

Well. Big changes! I realised I found the X100T rather limiting despite its excellent IQ. I’ve sold that for exactly what I paid for it, so it’s been a free 4 month hire. And I had a couple of old phones that went for gratifyingly large sums on eBay. And I sold the 7 Artisans 25mm lens.
Instead of all that I have ordered a Panny GX9 +12-32 and 35-100 lenses, a 7 artisans 60mm macro lens, and the upgrade to the latest version of the Nik Collection. Phew....

Ordered the last of the Nikkor Manual Focus lenses I've been wanting - an AI Converted Nikkor N 24/2.8 that will be a nice 35 eq on my D7100.

Just trying to decide if I want to stay with Capture One Express or pay for the Pro version and then, rent or own? Hmm...

S01-20200619-016p.jpg

After watching Dave McKeegan's video and reading a post on dpreview I decided to order this card reader. Sandisk offers UHS-I type SD cards with read speeds over 90 MB/s but these are only attained when using a Sandisk proprietary card reader like the one shown here. I have a number of Sandisk cards that are advertized as 150 MB/s read speed, but the actual read speed is only 90 MB/s via my iMac SD card input. With this reader the read speeds went up to over 140 MB/s, even for a Sandisk Extreme card that was labeled as 90 MB/s; exactly the same experience as Dave McKeegan describes in his video. Weird it is, but at least I get to read the huge files from the Sony A7R4 a little bit faster.

Also tried a few Lexar cards but these didn't benefit from this specific card reader, read speeds maxed out at 90 MB/s despite their labeling of 95 MB/s, both on the iMac and Sandisk card readers.

BTW, AJA System Test Lite is a nice program to measure write and read speeds for the Mac. Available from the App Store for free.
Schermafbeelding 2020-06-19 om 20.12.39.png

Last edited:
Well. Big changes! I realised I found the X100T rather limiting despite its excellent IQ. I’ve sold that for exactly what I paid for it, so it’s been a free 4 month hire. And I had a couple of old phones that went for gratifyingly large sums on eBay. And I sold the 7 Artisans 25mm lens.
Instead of all that I have ordered a Panny GX9 +12-32 and 35-100 lenses, a 7 artisans 60mm macro lens, and the upgrade to the latest version of the Nik Collection. Phew....
Please tell about the 7artisans macro when you get it!

Back