GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Ordered the last of the Nikkor Manual Focus lenses I've been wanting - an AI Converted Nikkor N 24/2.8 that will be a nice 35 eq on my D7100.

Just trying to decide if I want to stay with Capture One Express or pay for the Pro version and then, rent or own? Hmm...
Mmm, that lens and that camera, you probably won’t need any special software that’ll improve on the images.

View attachment 226153

After watching Dave McKeegan's video and reading a post on dpreview I decided to order this card reader. Sandisk offers UHS-I type SD cards with read speeds over 90 MB/s but these are only attained when using a Sandisk proprietary card reader like the one shown here. I have a number of Sandisk cards that are advertized as 150 MB/s read speed, but the actual read speed is only 90 MB/s via my iMac SD card input. With this reader the read speeds went up to over 140 MB/s, even for a Sandisk Extreme card that was labeled as 90 MB/s; exactly the same experience as Dave McKeegan describes in his video. Weird it is, but at least I get to read the huge files from the Sony A7R4 a little bit faster.

Also tried a few Lexar cards but these didn't benefit from this specific card reader, read speeds maxed out at 90 MB/s despite their labeling of 95 MB/s, both on the iMac and Sandisk card readers.

BTW, AJA System Test Lite is a nice program to measure write and read speeds for the Mac. Available from the App Store for free.View attachment 226154
I have that card reader and can vouch for it. For example, my old MBP’s SD card reader is really poor. No such issues with the Sandisk though, connects every single time and the card does indeed transfer files like a rocket.

I’m going through #GAS and counterGAS at the moment - although #GAS is winning.

Earlier this year I bought a Leica CL; I’m enjoying it so much that somehow I now have four TL lenses to go with it, and I’ll consider the Sigma 30/1.4 when it is available in L-mount - what I really want is 28mm, but I’m hoping I can cope with 30mm. I picked up an as new ONA Bowery (with red lining) to hold that kit at embarrassingly good price. I think the ONA bags look best after a few years of hard use, so that is my next mission.

To counter this, I have sold my underused Olympus 7-14/2.8 and my Sony 70-400G, and I have put some of my other μ43 and A-mount lenses on the market. Fingers crossed I can move on another half-dozen lenses that are underused because I have other options. The downside Of selling - both lenses were sold for actual cash, the folding stuff, and I have to work out how to deal with it. I’ll have to work out how to deposit it in my account so that I can spend it.

Well. Big changes! I realised I found the X100T rather limiting despite its excellent IQ. I’ve sold that for exactly what I paid for it, so it’s been a free 4 month hire. And I had a couple of old phones that went for gratifyingly large sums on eBay. And I sold the 7 Artisans 25mm lens.
Instead of all that I have ordered a Panny GX9 +12-32 and 35-100 lenses, a 7 artisans 60mm macro lens, and the upgrade to the latest version of the Nik Collection. Phew....

Nice!
I love those two lenses and can imagine the GX9 to be quite amazing.
And looking for a 7 Artisans follow up too.

An $89 no name 7.5mm Fisheye for mFT. What actually arrived in the plain white box with a little m43 sticker was a Risespray. I think it's the same as the 7 Artisans(?). I wasn't able to give it a workout as it's a Father's Day gift but I did sneak it out of the box and snap off a few. From the LCD it looks like this may be a viable, cheap answer to the Samyang. Pretty tiny for an APS-C design and build quality is nice.

We celebrated F-day today as my oldest has plans tomorrow.
I took delivery today. :D
The Risespray/7A/etc. is sharp.
Maybe Samyang sharp, maybe not, but surely adequate for under $100 new.

Proof of life.
7.5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well. Big changes! I realised I found the X100T rather limiting despite its excellent IQ. I’ve sold that for exactly what I paid for it, so it’s been a free 4 month hire. And I had a couple of old phones that went for gratifyingly large sums on eBay. And I sold the 7 Artisans 25mm lens.
Instead of all that I have ordered a Panny GX9 +12-32 and 35-100 lenses, a 7 artisans 60mm macro lens, and the upgrade to the latest version of the Nik Collection. Phew....
Add an Oly 17mm and you've an X100t (like) camera when ever you want. I made sure to pick up a Pan 14mm for my Pen F when I decided to sell my X70.

The GX9 & 12-32 / 35-100 is a great, tiny combo. You could opt for the Pan 20mm over the Oly 17mm if you're ok with the limitations (a little slow AF by m4/3 standards and not AF-C compatible). My only compliant with the GX9 is what they removed from the GX85, there 4th pin in the hot shoe, the power pin.

While I do prefer Olympus bodies I've owned several Panasonic and with each of the last 3 I've added a modified Olympus FL-LM3 flash. It was just so handy to have a little flash with a tilt/swivel head that I didn't need to bring along batteries for.

I bought a copy of Vivian Maier Street Photographer. I completely blame @Ad Dieleman for this. I saw his post above, googled the book, and found one from Walmart(!) at a good price. I really like her work. My entire library of images now consists of this and The Decisive Moment. It intrigues me that I now have one book from one of the most famous street/journalistic photographers of the 20th century and another from a complete amateur who never showed anyone her pictures.

Had that combo in black some years ago, enjoy.

My original choice would have been black.
Now that I have the silver in hand I think it's an either or.
It's a nice silver.

The Olympus version of the X100. A fixed lens version might have had a “pancake” 17. I’m not saying it would have been a big seller but it could have been smaller than X100 and basically as good. The price would have be critical.

I would've loved one. Smaller, with 5 axis, leaf shutter, flip LCD and the option to go with a VF-x.

It's a nice silver.

I would've loved one. Smaller, with 5 axis, leaf shutter, flip LCD and the option to go with a VF-x.
I often think the silver versions of many cameras look better. But I'm one that buys and sells often (too often) and silver bodies show mark and scratches more.

I fell in love with Olympus the first time I held an E-M5.1, the very solid feel and controls. The E-P5 felt the same as does my current favorite, the Pen F.

The only Fuji camera I've ever owned and used - albeit briefly - was the X70 a few years ago. I liked some aspects of it, others I found a little too fiddly for my (admittedly eclectic tastes), so we parted ways. But, recently, I stumbled across a lightly-used copy of its small-sensored sibling, the third and last of the (now discontinued) compact X series. And I couldn't resist - partly because a good friend owns a copy of the original X100 which I always liked. It's an interesting size - small but not tiny---

GRDiii_June28_X30#1.jpg

But it feels quite good in the hand. The rear screen is more-than-bright enough and eminently usable--

GRDiii_June28_X30#2.jpg

To my surprise, the smallish electronic EVF, which as I understand it, replaced the cool-looking OVF of the X10 and X20, is surprisingly helpful, especially on bright days.

GRDiii_June28_X30#3.jpg

Everything (i.e. all the controls) seems logical, in the right place, easy to reach if you need it, easy to forget about if you don't.

GRDiii_June28_X30#4.jpg

I have a weakness for well-designed small ('compact') cameras - and in my limited (so far) time with it, the X30 feels like one of the better ones. Plus....gotta hand it to the Fuji designers: it looks....like my idea of what a camera should look like ;)

Last edited:
The only Fuji camera I've ever owned and used - albeit briefly - was the X70 a few years ago. I liked some aspects of it, others I found a little too fiddly for my (admittedly eclectic tastes), so we parted ways. But, recently, I stumbled across a lightly-used copy of its small-sensored sibling, the third and last of the (now discontinued) compact X series. And I couldn't resist - partly because a good friend owns a copy of the original X100 which I always liked. It's an interesting size - small but not tiny---
But it feels quite good in the hand. The rear screen is more-than-bright enough and eminently usable--
To my surprise, the smallish electronic EVF, which as I understand it, replaced the cool-looking OVF of the X10 and X20, is surprisingly useful, especially on bright days.
Everything (i.e. all the controls) seems logical, in the right place, easy to reach if you need it, easy to forget about if you don't.
I have a weakness for well-designed small ('compact') cameras - and in my limited (so far) time with it, the X30 feels like one of the better ones. Plus....gotta hand it to the Fuji designers: it looks....like my idea of what a camera should look like ;)
I thought about the X20 some time back, not long after the white blob issue on the X10. Then by the time the X30 came out I had gotten into m4/3.

I still thought about it, it feels great in the hand (better than the X10 or X20 IMHO) and I LOVE the manual lens / camera control setup. Collapse the lens and the camera turns off, deploy the lens and it turns on, simple. I really wish someone would adopt that for a larger sensor fixed camera (add it to an LX100 III and I'd get one).

I loved the Fuji X70, but yes it might be an acquired taste.

It's a nice silver.

The IBIS would have been a big advantage. The built in EVF was actually pretty good as is

The Tamron has rounded out my ultimate travel and street trio! Compared to a mid-range M43 setup, the lenses actually come out a bit smaller if you opt for the 12-100mm and fast Pro primes. The Samyang 18mm 2.8 + 45mm 1.8 + Tamron 28-200 f/2.8-5.6 FE can fit in my small sling easily. Also the Tamron 28-200mm functions as a 28mm 2.8 prime if I lock the barrel, so it's technically also an 18mm 2.8, 28mm 2.8 and 45mm 1.8 prime kit all in one! ;)

My cameras in their full gaffer and neoprene armor:
Tamron_Friolo_001.jpg

Tamron_Friolo_003.jpg

The Tamron in full extension:
Tamron_Friolo_002.jpg

Back