GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

I finally got my A9 prepped and wearing it's battle armor! I usually spend an hour prepping a camera. If it's a used body I wipe it down with a damp cloth and also clean the dials with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol. I then do a factory format and reset. I sync all my camera clocks to the same time and then custom set all the buttons to my custom settings. Batteries get a full charge and I verify shutter count. I do all this before even shooting with the camera!

View attachment 231522
SONY_A9_01 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Extremely envious of you! The A9 will be fantastic I’m sure.

And I like your prepping of used cameras. I never put much thought into it other than doing the factory reset and quick wipe down of the screen, but I will follow your routine on the next one. Which, coincidentally, is arriving on Monday. Will post an update then. Not A9 exciting though. :)

Extremely envious of you! The A9 will be fantastic I’m sure.

And I like your prepping of used cameras. I never put much thought into it other than doing the factory reset and quick wipe down of the screen, but I will follow your routine on the next one. Which, coincidentally, is arriving on Monday. Will post an update then. Not A9 exciting though. :)

I had no intention of buying an A9 but a used body popped up for a good price and I couldn't pass it up! It was priced way less than what others were selling the camera used. Plus it's the mirrorless camera I've been wanting in terms of specs and performance. It's just a bummer I can't travel anywhere right now, except domestically! Maybe in 2022-23 I'll also add an A9II! :D

I like prepping all my new/used cameras meticulously before I even shoot with them. It's a habit I picked when I used to shoot entertainment news. I also do the same with my lenses.

Well, my m4/3 kit is complete, with the arrival of my mint PL 12-60 this afternoon. I'm still old school enough to find it somewhat odd to see Sunday deliveries. The G95 + PL 12-60 combination is not what I'd call compact, but it fits well in my hands, does not feel heavy, and has a great balance. It also fits easily in my bicycle bar bag, with room for the P 45-150 in an auxiliary pouch. Not really sure how much I'll be using my O 45/1.8, but it was so inexpensive that I'm holding onto it for now.

Well, my m4/3 kit is complete, with the arrival of my mint PL 12-60 this afternoon. I'm still old school enough to find it somewhat odd to see Sunday deliveries. The G95 + PL 12-60 combination is not what I'd call compact, but it fits well in my hands, does not feel heavy, and has a great balance. It also fits easily in my bicycle bar bag, with room for the P 45-150 in an auxiliary pouch. Not really sure how much I'll be using my O 45/1.8, but it was so inexpensive that I'm holding onto it for now.
Complete, schmomplete! There's no such thing as a complete kit of photographic equipment! I'm happy you're happy though. But don't you want the Laowa 7.5 mm macro, if you think about it a little bit? I know I do... 😋

I had no intention of buying an A9 but a used body popped up for a good price and I couldn't pass it up! It was priced way less than what others were selling the camera used. Plus it's the mirrorless camera I've been wanting in terms of specs and performance. It's just a bummer I can't travel anywhere right now, except domestically! Maybe in 2022-23 I'll also add an A9II! :D

I like prepping all my new/used cameras meticulously before I even shoot with them. It's a habit I picked when I used to shoot entertainment news. I also do the same with my lenses.
We will need some commentary after you’ve had a chance to work with it.

We will need some commentary after you’ve had a chance to work with it.

I was thinking of doing a quick write-up comparing the two. Basically if you don't need the speed of the A9, the A7III is actually the better camera in some ways. The A9II fixes many of the issues of the A9, but at a significant price increase especially on the used market.

The A7III wins with slightly sharper images due to the weaker AA filter (A9 requires an additional 10% sharpening to match), better battery management and the USB type-C port. The A9 wins in overall durability and the low penalty of using the E-shutter. I keep burst shots at low, because mid and high create a ridiculous amount of images ( around 12fps & 20fps). The nice thing about the electronic shutter is that it doesn't count those clicks which I verified through a camera count website.

Bought another Kodak Bantam, as the one I have is unusable due to the bellows being pinholed beyond repair.
Have a couple of freshly spooled rolls of 828 film for it as well.

kodakbantam.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well, the package was delayed a day, but arrived this afternoon. I’m back in the group of X100 series owners. I found a very good deal in a used T model in excellent condition with only 3000 shots on it.:)

I’ve always loved the X100 series and have owned both the S and F models when they were the current release. Sold them mainly because I didn’t want so much $ tied up in a single lens camera, when I tend to use my Sony ILC for the majority of my images.

But the allure of owning one was still there, so I figured I’d grab an older model if I found the right price. Narrowed it down to the T since they have some nicer features over prior models (WiFi, better screens, & Classic Chrome) but have dropped to price levels very similar to that of the original and S versions.

Looking forward to having one in the kit again.

9FAB8C90-BC0E-41E9-84BE-105A57576BC6.jpeg

What would be the advantage of the A7III over the A9, except maybe for some cash in hand?

The A7III is actually the better camera for non-action shooters. Raws are bit sharper, battery consumption is less and it has USB type-C making it way easier for charging and data transfers. I'm still keeping my other A7III body. Though I've been thinking of selling it to fund a Z6 or maybe a D780! :roflmao:

Lastest photography related acquistion; the last book I was missing from a series that takes an indepth look at (post-)battle photographs; The Dams Raid, Dieppe, The Ploesti Raid, Villers-Bocage and now this one.

battle_of_bulge_through_lens.jpg

This one seems to command the most money from collectors. Lucky to get it for a ....fair... price.

Does the A7III have a weaker AA filter?
The A7III is actually the better camera for non-action shooters. Raws are bit sharper, battery consumption is less and it has USB type-C making it way easier for charging and data transfers. I'm still keeping my other A7III body. Though I've been thinking of selling it to fund a Z6 or maybe a D780! :roflmao:
i always wonder what the actual price difference is between building these two bodies. I do understand the need to factor in R&D costs for the final retail price.

i always wonder what the actual price difference is between building these two bodies. I do understand the need to factor in R&D costs for the final retail price.

The sensor and many of the components are reenforced in the A9 and more magnesium alloy versus mag. alloy + plastic chassis in the A7 III. Also each camera is manufactured in different locations (Thailand and China). Though it'd be interesting to find out what the actual cost is to build each camera.

The A9 and A9m2 are the only cameras that have the stacked sensor which is probably a costly item to produce. This sensor configuration is responsible for crazy fast AF acquisition and tracking, minimal rolling shutter of the electronic shutter and no-blackout viewing.

Back