GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Having sold virtually all my long glass in the latest "purge" (either due to lack of use or because of somewhat unsatisfactory results compared to ... the Panasonic FZ1000), I decided to take the "plunge" and buy into FF tele lenses. Caution dictated I start with a well-received, but inexpensive (and comparatively compact) lens:

DSC_2903.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

To be used mostly on the D750, as a long companion to either the 24-70mm f/4 Z or the 24-200mm f/4-6.3 Z. Should work very well on the FTZ adapter, too, if I don't feel like taking two cameras. It may, however, also trigger the acquisition of a Z50 at some point in time (as a simple way of getting more reach). But I'll check out the lens's performance on the D750 and Z6 first ...

I'll decide later whether to let go of my 70-200mm f/4G in the process ... but that is still my most reliable long event lens, so that'd be a huge step. However, the 24-200mm Z all but matches it IQ-wise, and it's a much more versatile lens with phenomenal I.S. performance. Constant f/4 is all good and well, but technology progresses ...

M.

Last edited:
Sigh. I finally broke down and ordered the Fuji 16-80 f/4. Of all things, it was this stairwell graffiti project that pushed me over the edge. I looked at the 16 2.8 for $400 but I rarely use wide angles. In the end it was just better to put the money toward the $800 16-80, especially since the OIS will be helpful on the XT30 and really useful on the XH1, since the OIS and IBIS can work together. It's been a very long time since I deliberately bought a normal zoom for it's own sake.

Last edited:
Having sold virtually all my long glass in the latest "purge" (either due to lack of use or because of somewhat unsatisfactory results compared to ... the Panasonic FZ1000), I decided to take the "plunge" and buy into FF tele lenses. Caution dictated I start with a well-received, but inexpensive (and comparatively compact) lens:
I'll decide later whether to let go of my 70-200mm f/4G in the process ... but that is still my most reliable long event lens, so that'd be a huge step. However, the 24-200mm Z all but matches it IQ-wise, and it's a much more versatile lens with phenomenal I.S. performance. Constant f/4 is all good and well, but technology progresses ...

M.
I've heard some pretty good things about the AP-F version of the 70-300.

As for the 70-200 f/4? It was my go to event telephoto. I loved it, actually made my FF kit lighter than my APS-C kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard some pretty good things about the AP-F version of the 70-300.

As for the 70-200 f/4? It was my go to event telephoto. I loved it, actually made my FF kit lighter than my APS-C kit.
I took the 70-300mm AF-P out yesterday on the Z6/FTZ. Very satisfying in every way (I carried the combo in the hand - with my hold on the FTZ, not the camera, though I doubt it would have been a problem since the lens isn't heavy at all), and the lens certainly holds up very well on a 24MP sensor; AF was, for the most part, quick and reliable, though at f/5.6 on the long end, it can struggle a bit if scene contrast is low, but that's to be expected. So, no regrets so far, on the contrary ... Just to point it out: The Z6/FTZ combo was considerably more enjoyable in use than the D750 with this lens, and results are more consistent and sharper, too.

Now if only I could find (or rather: rediscover) any comprehensive reviews of how the 70-300mm performs on a Z50 - which is bit of a stretch to hope for, but I remember at least one of those ... Ironically, apart from the reach, the threesome (Z50+FTZ+70-300mm) should make a better hike-worthy (i.e. sturdy and well enough sealed) tele-zoom kit than the Z50 with the 50-250mm ... which would, of course, be lighter by about a pound, but that's bearable in the real sense of the word. Pair that with the Z6 and either the 24-70mm f/4 or the 24-200mm, and you get very versatile setup indeed ... Consider me intrigued ...

Crazy times - sometimes, the market seems to drag its feet, and then, all of a sudden, it appears to burst with options. However, the most important thing for me is this: The 70-300mm further strengthens Nikon's position in my collection, and, somewhat surprisingly, validates the Z mount decision thanks to the great performance of the FTZ adapter ... Nikon really *did* put together a compelling system - they may have been somewhat late to the game, but boy, did they play their cards well ...

M.

Nikon Z50 - bought mainly as a kind of independent tele-converter for my Z and F lenses. It works well with the FTZ and the 70-300mm E - that's its key purpose.

I must say I'm a but underwhelmed so far - because of the build quality; after watching and reading quite a few reviews, I didn't expect a camera that felt less refined than my D5500 did. It's fine in the hand and quite a good shooter in use, but coming from the Z6, I can tell you that this isn't a mini version of that camera - it's clearly more cheaply made and lacks control points. The dials are stiff (especially the front dial) and less positive in terms of feedback, so quick changes are more difficult to make accurately. The shutter came as a bit of a shock as well - "ratchety" is how it feels compared to the very smooth one on the Z6. I think it's no better, if not worse than the A6000's shutter - and that's almost six years old.

That said, the images are fine, the kit lens is impressive, the camera *is* pleasantly light, and the grip is very nice. It's a keeper, just not a stunner.

M.

Last edited:
I’ve recently bought a Panasonic 14mm/2.5 and an Olympus 45mm/1.8, to be shared between my G7 and GX9. I’ve used the 14 quite a bit so far and really like it. The 45 is in reserve for garden shots and getting some portrait practice.
Both are good lenses, especially the 45, but the 14 is a very underrated lens. I've taken many of my favorite pictures with it. It's also a great museum lens on a small Pen body.

IMG_20200917_204246_1.jpg

And the next project camera has arrived, another one from H.Martin (or one of their subcontractors/furniture shops in the Alsace)
A tailboard "Chambre de Voyage" ...in other words a Travel Camera.
Another vintage curtain shutter, a two curtain one at that, a design licensed from Thornton-Pickard. This one also need replacement curtains.
Unfortunately the plate holder doesn't belong with this cameras. Shame because it is a thing of rare beauty.
But it does contain a couple of film sheaths I can use on the other travel camera.

I've had the 35mm f2.4 for 18mths or so and use it very lightly. I mainly got it because the Sigma 17-35mm f2.8 that came with my K-7 seemed very soft but now I realise it was probably just the K-7 being a K-7. I knew there was a 50mm DA out there too but was fine using the manual-focus 50's (I had a K-mount and M42-mount Pentaxes).

Anyway, I saw another eBay bargain and picked up a 50mm f1.8 DA - super cheap & almost obnoxiously budget-build (just like the 35mm) but the pics seem fine. Its weird because I'd struggle to think of an original manufacturers lens that feels this cheesy in Nikon or Micro-Four-Thirds land (maybe the Oly body-cap lenses?). Will slap it on the K-5 and see how it performs - ultimately its the pics that count.

50365169648_55a0878f01_o.jpg
_9210055 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

I've had the 35mm f2.4 for 18mths or so and use it very lightly. I mainly got it because the Sigma 17-35mm f2.8 that came with my K-7 seemed very soft but now I realise it was probably just the K-7 being a K-7. I knew there was a 50mm DA out there too but was fine using the manual-focus 50's (I had a K-mount and M42-mount Pentaxes).

Anyway, I saw another eBay bargain and picked up a 50mm f1.8 DA - super cheap & almost obnoxiously budget-build (just like the 35mm) but the pics seem fine. Its weird because I'd struggle to think of an original manufacturers lens that feels this cheesy in Nikon or Micro-Four-Thirds land (maybe the Oly body-cap lenses?). Will slap it on the K-5 and see how it performs - ultimately its the pics that count.

View attachment 235707_9210055 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr
Those plastic fantastic primes are so cheap, the KP kit I've been looking at one B&H is only $40 more than the body only. They do look annoyingly cheap, but I'll get one if I get a KP.

Those plastic fantastic primes are so cheap, the KP kit I've been looking at one B&H is only $40 more than the body only. They do look annoyingly cheap, but I'll get one if I get a KP.

Agreed - picked this one up for $84USD. Took 3 weeks to arrive from the US (the 40mm DA Limited from Japan took 6 days by comparison) but thats life - wasn't in a super hurry. I was tempted by the older 50mm FA series but they looked big - I might try and track down a 50 f1.4 FA just for a little bit of extra speed in the short-tele range (at least on APSC). I'm actually enjoying my Pentax foray quite a lot. I can't see myself investing in the new stuff but they have the basics covered in their older bodies, primes & zooms (maybe lacking in cheap ultra-wides but I can use my m43/Nikon stuff for that).

I had no real intention of acquiring this lens, but I happened on a nicely low-priced Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II M.C. and bid on it without any expectation of winning it. But I did, so here it is on the M 262, next to its ancestor (the Mk I) on the M8 (obviously, the latter's all "filtered up" for the M8's sensor ...).

DSC_2927.jpg

I like what I've seen from the new lens so far - decidedly better behaved than the old one, but with no less character, even though contrast is higher and bokeh a bit less wild.

M.

Back