GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Just some (cheap) frames with 5x7 mats, I spruced up the hallway a little bit.

PXL_20201011_192345074~2.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With the latest price drop and the very real threat of the next lockdown both manifesting themselves today, I decided to get these two lenses now (I had planned to add them for some time):

DSC_2933.jpg

I'm very happy with my Nikon (Z+F) kit now. Not so much with the situation, but I'm determined to make the best of it, whatever comes my way ...

(Sorry, the shot is a bit wonky ... well, I'm tired, and the V1 needs a bit extra care as it is; anyway, it was never going to be a work of art ...)

M.

With the latest price drop and the very real threat of the next lockdown both manifesting themselves today, I decided to get these two lenses now (I had planned to add them for some time):

View attachment 238214

I'm very happy with my Nikon (Z+F) kit now. Not so much with the situation, but I'm determined to make the best of it, whatever comes my way ...

(Sorry, the shot is a bit wonky ... well, I'm tired, and the V1 needs a bit extra care as it is; anyway, it was never going to be a work of art ...)

M.
Their counterparts in the G system are fine lenses so it will be interesting to see how they compare. Can’t help thinking the new versions are perhaps a little bigger?

Their counterparts in the G system are fine lenses so it will be interesting to see how they compare. Can’t help thinking the new versions are perhaps a little bigger?
I still own the 85mm f/1.8G and I have used it with the FTZ adapter on the Z 6; the whole setup was bigger and also felt way bulkier than the Z 85mm f/1.8 S. Crucially, all the rattle and hum the G lens makes when on the adapter (mostly on switch-on, admittedly) doesn't happen with the Z lens, so that's already a big plus for a lens I mainly use to document events and do portraits (though I increasingly find it a good walk-around lens, too). Finally, I'm after native Z lenses anyway - so the move was imminent for some time, and when it became apparent how good a lens the Z 85mm f/1.8 S is, I knew I would get it sooner rather than later because I really like the focal length.

I've already decided keep the D750 around for older (screwdriver) AF lenses, but for most of my shooting, the Z 6 has taken over. The G lenses are clearly more at home on the D750 as well, though they work fine on the Z 6 - in principle. I still have the 70-200mm f/4G, 85mm f/1.8G and and 60mm f/2.8G Micro. Furthermore I recently acquired the 70-300mm E - an astonishingly inexpensive lens that works great on the Z 6 via FTZ adapter (and delivers very nice images to boot), so I actually use it more on the Z bodies than on the D750; I intend to keep it for the foreseeable future. The next two lenses to go will most probably be the 85mm f/1.8G and the 70-200 f/4G (the Z 24-200mm is almost as good optically and much smaller - though I certainly like the constant f/4 of the G zoom). However, I'm in no hurry to get rid of them because they're a known quantity and certainly do the job on the the D750.

The Z lenses have so far been in a different league, even when compared to their very good G counterparts; I really liked the 35mm f/1.8G when I had it, but the Z 35mm f/1.8 S blows it out of the water optically and technically. The Z 50mm f/1.8 S smokes all previous 50mm lenses Nikon has produced (maybe except for the 50mm f/1.2 AIS - but that's not a lens I intend to own). Finally, the Z 85mm f/1.8 S easily outdoes the 85mm f/1.8G on paper, and so far, what I see is just wonderful. I'll start posting images in the next couple of days - maybe as early as tomorrow if time allows (which is far from certain, unfortunately - things spiral out of control around here pretty darn quickly, no idea what'll happen tomorrow ...). We'll see.

M.

Nice additions Matt. Those S lenses sure are highly touted, so I’m sure you’ll be pleased.

I just had a Sony FE 35mm 1.8 delivered today. Found a good deal on a used one, so decided to add it to my collection.

C7965295-BB0F-4979-9E05-6B534494B338.jpeg

I now have the Sony 28, 35 (both 1.8 & 2.8 versions), 55, and 85 FE lenses. All are great optics, while remaining on the small to very small side - something I very much prefer over the big bulky glass. My “large” lens is the Tamron 28-75, which I recently acquired to use indoors with flash for when I want some versatility.

Edit: not sure why my image is appearing sideways?

Nice additions Matt. Those S lenses sure are highly touted, so I’m sure you’ll be pleased.

I just had a Sony FE 35mm 1.8 delivered today. Found a good deal on a used one, so decided to add it to my collection.

View attachment 238255

I now have the Sony 28, 35 (both 1.8 & 2.8 versions), 55, and 85 FE lenses. All are great optics, while remaining on the small to very small side - something I very much prefer over the big bulky glass. My “large” lens is the Tamron 28-75, which I recently acquired to use indoors with flash for when I want some versatility.

Edit: not sure why my image is appearing sideways?
Awesome addition. That's the one I think would've kept me in the Sony FE camp. I went with a Samyang 35mm 1.4 instead and was really alarmed by "front cannon ball effect". I never had the chance to try the 55 but I'd say that's my ideal/dream FE kit.

Awesome addition. That's the one I think would've kept me in the Sony FE camp. I went with a Samyang 35mm 1.4 instead and was really alarmed by "front cannon ball effect". I never had the chance to try the 55 but I'd say that's my ideal/dream FE kit.

I’ve taken some images yesterday and today and they look pretty good on the back of the camera - will see how they stack up once I load them into Lightroom, but expecting the same.

The FE55 is an optically stellar lens - almost too sharp lol. A bit long for everyday, so that’s why I added the FE35.

Yet another chapter unveils itself..

A nice copy of an X-H1 arrived the other day.
Quite the contrast from the modest little RP.
It's a beast on all levels.
The EVF, the tilt and tilt screen, the shutter, build quality, the grip/ergonomics and IBIS are wonderful.
Image output, responsiveness, and AF very good.
Button assignments and function seem second nature.
I've forgotten how fluent I am in the Fuji language. Familiarity feels nice.

I'll often compromise on features and performance to fit into a desired budget.
This one has the features and the fit.
Tool and toy.

Could be a longer chapter than usual.

Last edited:
Probably the last SLR lens I'll adapt on Sony. This is the best copy of this lens I've tried (3 total). The first two were also optically good on an adapter, except they were flawed when mounted to a Nikon DSLR...making it a hard sell if I ever tried to get rid of it! This copy focuses very well on a Nikon DSLR, though I feel it's running an older firmware which may require a FW update at Sigma repair. Though I'm in no rush!

Waiting for Sigma to make the 50mm f/1.2 ART DG lens for mirrorless!

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX (non-ART) + Neewer Nikon to Sony AF adapter + Sony A9:
50529018041_41020f3099_b.jpg

Images of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM in Nikon F-mount + Neewer Nikon to Sony AF adapter + Sony A9
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Last edited:
I had a Viltrox 56mm 1.4 arrive the other day.
It shipped in the OEM box with a plastic envelope for added protection.
Needless to say, the AF wouldn't focus closer than 3M.
It's on it's way back to the owner now.

I was very impressed by the size/build and the images at the 3M range were very nice.
Will likely try again later.

Probably the last SLR lens I'll adapt on Sony. This is probably the best copy of this lens I've tried (3 total). The first two were also optically good on an adapter, except they were flawed when mounted to a Nikon DSLR...making it a hard sell if I ever tried to get rid of it! This copy focuses very well on a Nikon DSLR, though I feel it's running an older firmware which may require a FW update at Sigma repair. Though I'm in no rush!

Waiting for Sigma to make the 50mm f/1.2 ART DG lens for mirrorless!

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX (non-ART) + Neewer Nikon to Sony AF adapter + Sony A9:
View attachment 238562
Images of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX HSM in Nikon F-mount + Neewer Nikon to Sony AF adapter + Sony A9 by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr
Tried to get one of those to use with the RP.
Settled with the 1.8stm and the 1.4usm. Definitely not the Sigma.
That looks like a clean copy.

Tried to get one of those to use with the RP.
Settled with the 1.8stm and the 1.4usm. Definitely not the Sigma.
That looks like a clean copy.
I'm a little jealous of Canon users. Apparently many of these older Sigma lenses work amazingly well with the EF to RF adapter. Plus Sigma put built-in focus motors in many of the non-HSM models giving Canon users more adapted options.

Last edited:
Busy few weeks -
  • a Manfrotto Pixi tripod (nice),
  • a Sigma EF610 Pentax flash (not bad - Pentax RC flash is weird tho'),
  • and I can only show a Oly FL600R flash foot as the flash itself is having its hot-show glued back on after a 60cm drop onto grass. Plastic build quality is terrible - the plastic is very thin at the point with so much stress - not impressed. I'll use it wirelessly on a tripod or foot so I don't care too much about the hot-shoe). If the super-glue doesn't work I'll try sugru, and f that doesn't work, I'll try some epoxy and/or cut off some plumbers pipe to wrap around the shoe. From a technical perspective it works fine and is super easy to use.
50539504367_dcd68b851c_o.jpg
IMGP8730_DNG_embedded by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

They say the third time's the charm. I hope so. This is the 3rd small Zuiko f2.8 pancake lens I've acquired over the last decade or so... and it seems like almost the ideal keep-it-on-most-of-the-time lens for my Olympus E-P3. A little plastic bodied marvel--

Zuiko17mmf2.8#1.jpg

But this one came equipped with Olympus's auto-open lens cap, originally designed for the tiny semi-pancake 14-42 zoom, but it works with the 17mm also--

Zuiko17mmf2.8#4.jpg

When you power the camera on, the little lens cap extends slightly and opens--

Zuiko17mmf2.8#3.jpg

And when you power the camera off... Voilà! it closes, magically, by itself.

Zuiko17mmf2.8#4.jpg

I remember, actually, losing one or two of those tiny, pretty little Olympus lens caps...it's nice not to have to think about that any more.

Back