GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

DSC_2976.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After many false starts and missed opportunities, I finally found one of those in really good nick and at a very fair price. From what I've been able to try it so far, I'm impressed - and it's not as hard to focus with the rangefinder as I thought it would be.

This is the original Tele-Elmar 135mm f/4 - not the last version which looked a lot more modern, but one of the intermediate ones (some call it the "II") with the smoother ribbed focusing ring. The lens is a lot smaller than I feared it would be, and it balances surprisingly well on the M10 (just using Leica's accessory thumb rest).

M.

View attachment 248385

After many false starts and missed opportunities, I finally found one of those in really good nick and at a very fair price. From what I've been able to try it so far, I'm impressed - and it's not as hard to focus with the rangefinder as I thought it would be.

This is the original Tele-Elmar 135mm f/4 - not the last version which looked a lot more modern, but one of the intermediate ones (some call it the "II") with the smoother ribbed focusing ring. The lens is a lot smaller than I feared it would be, and it balances surprisingly well on the M10 (just using Leica's accessory thumb rest).

M.
Would love to know how you get on with it in terms of focusing the RF patch.

Of course....the French seller gets back to me and says this Aires IIIc wasn't supposed to be up on Ebay, as he sold this camera 2 weeks ago :doh:
So I clicked BIN on a nicer looking one but with different issues.

Man, I wish sellers would use Ebay Standard International Delivery instead of Ebay Global Shipping Program. Same protection but with direct shipping (and no Pitney Bowes serving as a 3rd party shipper at inflated prices) . :(
It would instantly increase their international sales!

Man, I wish sellers would use Ebay Standard International Delivery instead of Ebay Global Shipping Program. Same protection but with direct shipping (and no Pitney Bowes serving as a 3rd party shipper at inflated prices) .
Yes. The Global Shi**ing program is the absolute worst. Super expensive and there are big delays when waiting for shipments from the UK. Royal Mail has always been a favorite when a seller offers it.

I just took delivery of a nice Nikon FE film camera and 5 rolls of HP5. I finished shooting one roll today and will be sending it off for Processing and scanning tomorrow.
Looking forward to seeing the results. I used 3 lenses which I already had all E series (not the best but good enough for my needs) 50mm, 100mm and 70-210 f4.0 zoom. It's been years since I used film so I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Would love to know how you get on with it in terms of focusing the RF patch.
Sorry I haven't responded earlier; I think it works basically well, but depending on the background and/or contrast, it can be difficult to regardless of the lens, as most rangefinder users will know from experience. It can be difficult to nail focus in such cases. I tested this out today and had a small number of clearly misfocused shots in such circumstances. Probably usable at web resolution, but not satisfying for me - because the lens is impressively sharp when focused correctly which, by extension, is obviously possible.

Also, at closer distances (below three metres or so), you have to aim slightly high - the frame is otherwise pretty accurate, but I misjudged a couple of shots and had to redo them.

Here's a shot I enjoy even if it's not perfect (and the third try of three): The lens does a really nice job at subject isolation. This was framed and shot in difficult lighting conditions (set manually to f/4 and 1/125s, using Auto ISO). Looks solid to me (and I have even sharper shots, you'll find them in other threads).

L2623914.jpg

M.

Sorry I haven't responded earlier; I think it works basically well, but depending on the background and/or contrast, it can be difficult to regardless of the lens, as most rangefinder users will know from experience. It can be difficult to nail focus in such cases. I tested this out today and had a small number of clearly misfocused shots in such circumstances. Probably usable at web resolution, but not satisfying for me - because the lens is impressively sharp when focused correctly which, by extension, is obviously possible.

Also, at closer distances (below three metres or so), you have to aim slightly high - the frame is otherwise pretty accurate, but I misjudged a couple of shots and had to redo them.

Here's a shot I enjoy even if it's not perfect (and the third try of three): The lens does a really nice job at subject isolation. This was framed and shot in difficult lighting conditions (set manually to f/4 and 1/125s, using Auto ISO). Looks solid to me (and I have even sharper shots, you'll find them in other threads).

View attachment 248633

M.
Thanks Matt. You know this month I very nearly got a Tele Elmarit 90mm f2.8, it looks like a fine lens to couple with a RF, but was held back as the number of also fine Zeiss/ Nikkor 85mm lenses for DSLR’s whether manual or AF are boundless and seem to be able to get me the same result with a tenth of the effort. I really do wonder whether it’s wise for me to go beyond 50mm in RF terms.

Thanks Matt. You know this month I very nearly got a Tele Elmarit 90mm f2.8, it looks like a fine lens to couple with a RF, but was held back as the number of also fine Zeiss/ Nikkor 85mm lenses for DSLR’s whether manual or AF are boundless and seem to be able to get me the same result with a tenth of the effort. I really do wonder whether it’s wise for me to go beyond 50mm in RF terms.
It certainly more tedious to shoot 90mm or 135mm, but I found the results both from my Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 and now the Tele Elmar 135mm f/4 very satisfying - high quality, very appealing rendering. The Elmarit-M sits squarely in the goldilocks zone for a tele lens for the M system as far as I am concerned. I have travelled with the Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 (pre-ASPH.), the Summicron-M 50mm f/2 and the Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 - very versatile, and very impressive results while still remaining pretty compact. In fact, that kit only got one single addition, the tiny Voigtländer Ultron 35mm f/2, since then, and I admit I'd probably take the Voigtländer 50mm f/1.5 instead of the Summicron-M - but the Elmarits would definitely make the cut again.

However, the "tele" lens I enjoy most on the M10 is definitely the Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 - a truely great lens, comparatively small and affordable. It's the one Leica lens I bought new after trying it - it's that good. Sadly, the Summarit line has been discontinued ... And there's one caveat I've read numerous times (not one that concerns me personally!): It's considered "too sharp" (i.e. revealing) for portraiture ... To put that into perspective: The lens I'd pick today for that kind of shot is the Nikon Z 85mm f/1.8 S anyway - a fabulous performer, and part of a superb system. But I still prefer the images coming from the Summarit-M for most other purposes - and that's saying something because I do love the results from the Nikon Z 85mm!

M.

Last edited:
This is not about a new acquistion, but rather a follow-up to my last post:

If someone's looking into cheap and functional tele lenses for M mount, there's one that always gets overlooked: The Elmar-C 90mm f/4. It's a sturdy little lens with very nice build and image quality - and it can be had for a couple of hundred dollars, compared to at least twice or three times the money you have to shell out for its more reknowned cousins ... Here it is with some of the family (I didn't include the Summarit); nice and small - and a bargain. Yes, the Tele-Elmarit 90mm f/2.8 is even lighter and not noticeably bigger - but it usually costs at least twice as much or more. The image also shows that the 135mm isn't an awful lot bulkier than the Elmarit-M, even though it is longer.

DSC_2995.jpg

Here's a shot taken with the Elmar-C today.

LM103041.jpg

The worst I read about it was that it didn't hold up this well towards infinity. Well ... so you see it at its worst here (wide open, no less) ;)

M.

This is not about a new acquistion, but rather a follow-up to my last post:

If someone's looking into cheap and functional tele lenses for M mount, there's one that always gets overlooked: The Elmar-C 90mm f/4. It's a sturdy little lens with very nice build and image quality - and it can be had for a couple of hundred dollars, compared to at least twice or three times the money you have to shell out for its more reknowned cousins ... Here it is with some of the family (I didn't include the Summarit); nice and small - and a bargain. Yes, the Tele-Elmarit 90mm f/2.8 is even lighter and not noticeably bigger - but it usually costs at least twice as much or more. The image also shows that the 135mm isn't an awful lot bulkier than the Elmarit-M, even though it is longer.

View attachment 248734

Here's a shot taken with the Elmar-C today.

View attachment 248739

The worst I read about it was that it didn't hold up this well towards infinity. Well ... so you see it at its worst here (wide open, no less) ;)

M.
This Elmar-C 4/90 is obtainable as a Minolta equivalent too, the Minolta M-Rokkor 4/90. Review here.

Pulled the trigger on TTArtisan 50mm f1.2 for Fuji. Studied several reviews and samples, but it was Jonas Rusk who sold me on it:

His reviews are dangerous if you're on the fence about buying something.
After waiting for a while, a "like new" Fujinon 16mm f1.4 came up at Fuji Shop so I went for it. Just need to get out and try it now.
I'm trying not to buy one of these again. I don't actually need one for anything. But that is one of my all time favorite lenses.

His reviews are dangerous if you're on the fence about buying something.

I'm trying not to buy one of these again. I don't actually need one for anything. But that is one of my all time favorite lenses.
Found a good XF16f1.4 a while ago and it is by far & away the best Fuji offers and my favorite as well. Actually, cropping produces images equal to 23mm primes so I won't be getting one of those as first planned.

Trigger pulled on a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX HSM for Pentax, saw it used on B&H in "9" condition for $239, which is pretty good even in eBay terms right now for that lens, hopefully B&H is conservative with their rating and it'll be in really good shape. I had a gift card almost literally burning a hole in my wallet (felt that way, anyway). Reports on this lens are generally really good.

Trigger pulled on a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX HSM for Pentax, saw it used on B&H in "9" condition for $239, which is pretty good even in eBay terms right now for that lens, hopefully B&H is conservative with their rating and it'll be in really good shape. I had a gift card almost literally burning a hole in my wallet (felt that way, anyway). Reports on this lens are generally really good.

I had the same lens (OS version) when I shot Nikon many years ago. It was optically excellent. For the price you paid, you will be very happy!

I had the same lens (OS version) when I shot Nikon many years ago. It was optically excellent. For the price you paid, you will be very happy!
I think the K mount version isn't given OS since their bodies have had IBIS for so long, but should be the same optics. Still have to see if I get on with the large size relative to what I've been using.

Back