GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Nikon should be releasing 28 and 40 compact primes for the Z mount, per their roadmap
I know - that's why I don't find it too difficult to hold out.

However, now the 40mm f/2.5 is available (or will be soon), the information on the Sigma 45mm is a double-edged sword ;) (Honestly, thanks for this very useful piece of information!)

In earnest: I'm not really re-considering. I'm pretty much sold on the Z system - it just works for me. Once the 28mm and 40mm arrive and are sufficiently capable (which I have no reason of doubting) *and* sealed, I'll be truely happy - while there are a couple more lenses I'm waiting for, those two will fill the one major gap I see. It's just a bit of a nuisance that again, Sony was faster to release something so eminently useful, though at a high price. I'm fully ready to concede that the A7C has superior AF, too.

However, the Z 50 proves itself to be exactly the unassuming, high-performance EDC I need, not least because the kit lens is so good - and the Z 6 is such a good camera I simply don't feel the need to seek anything else, not even within the Z system, though the Z7 II may offer an upgrade path over time, but I'm by no means sure if I even want that - more megapixels would obliterate my whole (purposefully modest - but portable!) processing pipeline, and I find the 24MP files (and the 20MP files coming from the Z 50) fully satisfying. With the compact primes, the system will realise its full portability potential - and I really want both, the 28mm being the more universally useful one (42mm-e on the Z 50), the 40mm the ideal partner for the Z 6 for my preferences.

In the meantime, the Z 35mm f/1.8 S is a superbly pleasant lens to use - though the package is just a tad too big to fit in my favourite EDC bag alongside everything else I'm used to taking along. Come to that, that's not something that needs to stay that way (time to cull the contents of that bag ...).

M.

now the 40mm f/2.5 is available (or will be soon)
Gah, if only it was F2. Then again, I'm hearing that their 85mm F1.8 wide open is so good there's practically no need for anything faster, ie shooting an F1.2 will make little or no difference. It's all different with this new gear apparently. It's these tiny details that tip you over in terms of deciding whether to invest in a completely new system.

Gah, if only it was F2. Then again, I'm hearing that their 85mm F1.8 wide open is so good there's practically no need for anything faster, ie shooting an F1.2 will make little or no difference. It's all different with this new gear apparently. It's these tiny details that tip you over in terms of deciding whether to invest in a completely new system.
A third of a stop, Ray ... And apparently, the bokeh is quite nice. I don't mind the f/2.8 of the Sigma 45 one bit, and from what I see, the 40mm seems somewhat sharper. Not quite as pleasant in its rendering maybe, but smaller *and* sharper *and* sealed ... You see, I don't make things any easier, neither for me nor for you ;)

M.

A third of a stop, Ray ... And apparently, the bokeh is quite nice. I don't mind the f/2.8 of the Sigma 45 one bit, and from what I see, the 40mm seems somewhat sharper. Not quite as pleasant in its rendering maybe, but smaller *and* sharper *and* sealed ... You see, I don't make things any easier, neither for me nor for you ;)

M.
Not going fully mirrorless right now but wow, if i was, I'd find it real hard choosing between the Nikon & Canon. What appeals to me most is Canon with the lenses, Nikon with the bodies (yes I know, they're both extremely good in each department too).

Not going fully mirrorless right now but wow, if i was, I'd find it real hard choosing between the Nikon & Canon. What appeals to me most is Canon with the lenses, Nikon with the bodies (yes I know, they're both extremely good in each department too).
It was certainly a lot easier for me, as I've owned Nikon gear for ages (over thirty-five years) and really liked their handling and results. The Z 6 felt like a natural next step - an ingenious mix between the best of Nikon FF DSLRs, Nikon APS-C DSLRs (size and weight!) and mirrorless technology at a very impressive level (EVF, I.B.I.S., even AF), with really good results - very, very rewarding. And the Z 50, even though it's a somewhat limited package, works astonishingly well for what it is (and far outshoots my - old, I know! - Sony A7 II!). That's how I like my gear.

For someone who hasn't built a strong brand relationship, it's much, much more difficult nowadays, with Sony, Canon and Panasonic, and even Leica, offering really interesting alternative options (this is speaking from my point of view, of course). I'm glad that I feel that so far, none of them is clearly superior to what I have chosen - and given the value and performance of my current main system, that's pretty unlikely to change on the whole. That said, the R6 and S5 both had me dithering for a while, the Panasonic even more so than the Canon. I'm over that, though.

All of which only serves to make "left-field" market entries like the Sony A7C all the more intriguing - oh, no, I ought to say "irritating" ... Bugger that. It's an interesting camera, for all its perceived "shortcomings", period. Not one I have any kind of real use for, but interesting nonetheless. A Z 4 with the Z 50's EVF in RF configuration would immediately trigger all-out G.A.S. ... especially if Nikon added in I.B.I.S.! Anyway, that's neither likely nor going to happen any time soon, so I'm all-in on lenses right now. Which is always a good thing in my book.

If everything goes to plan, I may be able to move on quite a bit of other gear as well - for instance, who'd have thought that a lowly plastic kit lens would ever compete with the Fujifilm 18-55mm on equal grounds ... and that lens drew me into the Fujifilm system in the first place, alongside the still kind of lovely X-E3 ...

M.

So, I've recently got a worm-eaten Butcher Midg No.3 that's going to take a bit of work to bring back to life.

I did a bad thing and bought another one.......to my Credit Card's distress.

Murer's Express Newness....not exactly sure about the size. Possibly a 6x9...though it looks larger.
Comes with a free Kodak No.2 Box Brownie
MurerExpress.jpg

MurerExpress01.jpg

And to stretch my Credit card even further, I was offered a Mountain-Elmar lens today.
This is not going to end well...... ;)

So, I've recently got a worm-eaten Butcher Midg No.3 that's going to take a bit of work to bring back to life.

I did a bad thing and bought another one.......to my Credit Card's distress.

Murer's Express Newness....not exactly sure about the size. Possibly a 6x9...though it looks larger.
Comes with a free Kodak No.2 Box Brownie
View attachment 253595

View attachment 253596

And to stretch my Credit card even further, I was offered a Mountain-Elmar lens today.
This is not going to end well...... ;)
Nothing like an ancient camera with the word "Newness" on the side. :D And it comes with a free Kodak No.2 Box Brownie? 👍

DSC_3201.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For a while now, I've pondered over one sufficiently compact, yet worthy lens to shoot on the D750; after seeing (on this board - if only I could remember by whom) what the Voigtländer Nokton 58mm f/1.4 can do, I bid on the SL-II version when it came up locally - and won; it's minty (a bit of residue, probably from cleaning, in the grooves of the focusing ring, no marks to speak of). I tried it this afternoon - very nice, characterful, not entirely "clean" (there is quite a bit of CA going on, mostly LoCA), but very good overall, and certainly rewarding to shoot with, with very pleasing results. I'm already pretty sure it was the right choice - and a nice treat after a trying month (nothing to do with what has been going on the forum - RL taking its toll in pretty loaded times ...).

M.

Found a great deal on the Panasonic 12-60/2.8-4. Going to test it out soon with the EM1.

I found that I really liked the focal range of the Fuji 16-80/4, and this is comparable field of view.
Same here with the range. I had a coupe versions of the Nikon 24-120s and the older 28-105.

I considered getting the PanLeica trio, but decided on the PL8-18 and Oly 12-100 Pro. Think I'm going to be really tempted to trade my PL for the up coming 8-25 Pro if they can keep the size down, it's also a great range. (Like that Nikon DL18-50 that never happened) .

Same here with the range. I had a coupe versions of the Nikon 24-120s and the older 28-105.

I considered getting the PanLeica trio, but decided on the PL8-18 and Oly 12-100 Pro. Think I'm going to be really tempted to trade my PL for the up coming 8-25 Pro if they can keep the size down, it's also a great range. (Like that Nikon DL18-50 that never happened) .
Not that I think the compact camera system had any legs, I think the DL series of cameras that Nikon was going to release would have been way more successful then their KeyMission series. Like you, I would have been very interested in the 18-50 as well as the 24-85, as that is my sweet spot street and general purpose range.

Back