GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Looks like Nikon are doing small 40mm and 28mm F2 lenses for the Z Mount. So for me, a tilt in Nikon's favour against Canon. As is the Fringer Adapter allowing you to use every Canon EF lens on a Nikon Z camera with no change in AF speed or focusing. That can't be done the other way round in Canon's favour. At least currently, but who knows in the future. I must say I'm glad to be sitting on the sidelines seeing how this Canikon battle emerges. I'm terrified that if I make a move now, I'll make the wrong decision and waste lots of money in the process so the wise decision as someone who already has sufficient gear is to wait another year and see how things develop. But I can already see that my fears of modern yet boring computer generated images being generated by these new Canikons are dissappearing as third party lens solutions are really improving, F0.95 lenses are commonplace, I even saw that Meyer Optik Gorlitz lenses in 30mm/35mm/50mm/58mm/75mm/100mm varieties will be or are available right now. Despite all this (and whilst we're talking GAS), I am still checking the eBay prices on a used Fuji S5 Pro, the thought of using my F mount lenses with that CCD sensor is tempting.

Well, if the compact Z mount lenses were to be f/2 and optically good enough, I'll actually be able to shrug off most of my current (or should I say recurring?) GAS towards the small Sony offers, from the A7C kit to the new primes. Actually, I'd like to add one or two more zooms, too, the Z 24-105mm (that's the lens I've been missing lately for various reasons) and, probably, also the Z 18-140mm DX - if the latter is good enough and sealed, it'd transform the Z 50 into a truely versatile travel and "mobility" camera. I'd quite like that ...

As for adapting, apart from the FTZ I really like simply because it works great and isn't too bulky, I haven't found any third party solution that works as advertised yet, neither for Sony nor for Nikon Z. After trying various brands, I'm basically done fiddling around with electronic/AF adapters if they're not native (that's one of the reasons I sometimes feel a faint tug to add a FT1 ...). It just doesn't satisfy - 'nuff said. I'm still enjoying "dumb" adapters, though - shooting manual lenses on mirrorless cameras can be a lot of fun. One of the best things I've found in the last couple of months was a E-to-Z dumb adapter that makes it possible to use my E mount adapters on the Z 6 and Z 50. It's obviously no gold standard (which is the reason why I have a Novoflex NIKZ/LEM as well), but it works and saves me from swapping everything out just yet - something which I may still do eventually once the A7 II is gone.

I also have backed the Lomography Atoll 17mm f/2.8 lens which will come with a Nikon Z helicoid adapter (the lens itself is M mount). From my experience with Lomography's lens offerings, I'm pretty sure both items will be nice enough to work with and reasonably good quality. The helicoid adapter will provide me with an additional way to use my M mount lenses ...

M.

Speaking of adapters, this is more of a desire than an acquisition but here goes:

I think there could be a nice market for adjustable focus helicoids/adapter rings, that 7Artisans or the likes perhaps could be ideal actors on this idea.

Quality adapters but with a way to adjust the precise extension from the sensor so that you can get hard infinity focus and correct distance scales. Wouldn't that be just great?

The Chinese M mount lens manufacturers have already "struck gold" by having their lenses adjustable which alone makes them very desirable over other manufacturers. Adapted lenses on a mirrorless EVF camera of course don't need adjustment but having a hard stop infinity and accurate distance scales are something that are often wrong when adapting.

Well, I had to send back the Olympus OM-1 with 50mm f1.4 that I bought in the shop a couple weeks ago due to the malfunction with the aperture lever inside the camera mount. But, I apparently didn't learn my lesson as I just won an auction for two OM-1's, one with the 24mm f2.8 and one with a 50mm f1.8. Really hoping they (or at least one) work! Crossed fingers.

IMG_20210406_150533148.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_20210406_150547166.jpg

Looking good. Now it'll be a while until I get the camera to the service but we're almost there.

You know, I've realized the worst thing you can do in this thread is to complain about something, carefully go through in your head why you don't like it, and in the process convince yourself to buy one.
Which is why I am browsing fools frame cameras for the moment, but on the cheap, though. So far I have refrained from any buying, but I can see myself with a EOS5 MkII and some primes, easily enough, and possibly the Nikon D700 with something or the other.

I blame the small sensor challenge, which had me trawling the local classifieds looking to see if there was a Pentax Q of some variant to be had, a Nikon Coolpix A could be nice, and watching a ton of Mathias Burlings "cheap and cheerfull oldies" videos on the tube... Interestingly enough, a complete Canon kit, with a choice of primes wouldnt be much dearer than the Ricoh GRIII... Different beasts, though.

I blame the small sensor challenge, which had me trawling the local classifieds looking to see if there was a Pentax Q of some variant to be had, a Nikon Coolpix A could be nice, and watching a ton of Mathias Burlings "cheap and cheerfull oldies" videos on the tube... Interestingly enough, a complete Canon kit, with a choice of primes wouldnt be much dearer than the Ricoh GRIII... Different beasts, though.
You’re welcome.

A month or so ago, I lashed out on a s/h Olympus Pen Mini, E-PM2, to complement my E-M1 MkI and E-M1 MkII.

It's absolutely tiny! 269 gms, plus another 90 gms or so for the auto collapsing 14-42 EZ with auto-opening lens cap.

It had 2,777 shots on it ...

Came with two OEM batteries (both in excellent condition). I bought a car charger and one extra battery for it (BLS-5), along with a car charger and extra battery for my E-M1 MkII (BLH-1).

IMG_20210306_155523.jpg

My E-M1 MkII + 12-100 weighs about 1250gms, and will not fit in a polo shirt pocket ... ;) :rofl: .

A month or so ago, I lashed out on a s/h Olympus Pen Mini, E-PM2, to complement my E-M1 MkI and E-M1 MkII.

It's absolutely tiny! 269 gms, plus another 90 gms or so for the auto collapsing 14-42 EZ with auto-opening lens cap.

Came with two OEM batteries (both in excellent condition). I bought a car charger and one extra battery for it (BLS-5), along with a car charger and extra battery for my E-M1 MkII (BLH-1).

View attachment 254420

My E-M1 MkII + 12-100 weighs about 1250gms, and will not fit in a polo shirt pocket ... ;) :rofl: .
The pink hot shoe cap is a bold fashion choice. :D
On thing to note about the E-PM2. Turn off the IBIS and set the shutter delay to 1/8 sec. . Most agree that IS made the shutter shock worst and the the delay made it better. Aside from that, the PM2 had the same really good 16 MP sensor as the EM5, EM5 ii. and EM1.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve @drd1135 . I'd already worked that out.

The sensor in the E-PM2 is the same Sony 16 MPx one in the E-M5 MkI. The E-M1 MkI uses a 16 MPx Panasonic sensor.

That 'pink' hot shoe cover is supposedly 'red'! I have swapped it for a red one. They are FAR easier to find than the black ones ... :rofl: .

The ILIS in my 12-100 works well ... Practising my holding technique helps otherwise. Shame the E-PM2 didn't have an EFCS.

Last edited:
Picked up a 135mm OM mount Zuiko Auto-Macro - working distance with the 65-116mm Telescoping Extension tube is interested. I'll need to experiment a bit more with it.

View attachment 254503_4080173 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr
I have this one too, it's great on a bellows. I even concocted an adapter made of several extension tube parts and filter step rings to use it on a Minolta Auto Bellows III.

I have this one too, it's great on a bellows. I even concocted an adapter made of several extension tube parts and filter step rings to use it on a Minolta Auto Bellows III.
I got a great deal on a second 65-116 extension tube so I'll have to do a side by side shot with my 80mm & 135mm macro's. Oly really were world-leaders in that field back in the day (wonder if they had some overlap with their micro-scope division to help with optics?)

I really want to try the lens out with some bees but will have to wait for the weekend to sit beside some flowers...

View attachment 254420

A few years ago I had the original E-M1, and now have the Mk II. I didn't remember there was such a size difference until I looked at your image. I don't consider the Mk II to be a large camera, but it looks like it compared to the Mk I. Interesting.

A few years ago I had the original E-M1, and now have the Mk II. I didn't remember there was such a size difference until I looked at your image. I don't consider the Mk II to be a large camera, but it looks like it compared to the Mk I. Interesting.
Tony, it's the 12-50 macro vs the 12-100, in part. However, the MkII is noticeably bigger in the hand than the MkI.

The E-M1 MkII + 12-100 is only about 10 grams less than my E-30 + 14-54 MkII, BUT the latter feels quite different and much bigger and heavier than the former!

It's why I always recommend to people that they physically handle gear before buying.

And the E-PM2 is just tiny ...

Ah, but it's at its best on the incredible Olympus Telescoping Extension Tube!

Although, I like to use it on a Nikon PB-4 tilt-shift bellows.
Frankenbellows.jpg

The 65-116 TET is my latest acquisition. Looks like its in better nick than my other one (in the centre) but has a stiffer action and rattles so I guess a bearing or something similar is loose in there... I should really check the auto-aperture function in case the connector is knackered.

Regardless, heres my Oly OM Zuiko Macro family - the 80, 135 & 50 -

51110571399_5f37480cfd_o.jpg
_4120206 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back