GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

The 65-116 TET is my latest acquisition. Looks like its in better nick than my other one (in the centre) but has a stiffer action and rattles so I guess a bearing or something similar is loose in there... I should really check the auto-aperture function in case the connector is knackered.

Regardless, heres my Oly OM Zuiko Macro family - the 80, 135 & 50 -

View attachment 254959_4120206 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr
No one has a bad word to say about any of those OM 50s.

Interesting. Did you remove the PB-4's Nikon F mounts to adapt lens and camera?
Yes. If you have some modest machinist skills (grinding, drilling small holes, and tapping threads), it isn't too difficult.

Here's more about the conversion.

For that conversion, I got a reversing ring (58mm —> µ4/3rds) and ground the threads off. Then I took the Nikon mount off the bellows, and also ground that flat. Then I joined the two with three each 2mm countersunk screws. Looks pretty clean and has a smaller minimum length over using clunky adapters.

I did something similar on the front. If you look closely, you'll see it claims to be an "OM FOURTHIRDS ADAPTER." I took it apart, discarded the 4/3rds lens mount, drilled, tapped, and countersunk 2mm holes in the intermediate part, then put the OM mount back on the front.

Last edited:
Yikes. :eek:

Maybe.

K-3mkIII Premium kit on preorder.

1st come, 1st served, no idea where I am on the list or how many kits are on the way.

Time to start going through existing gear and prepping stuff for sale.
Among all cameras on sale today, that camera intrigues me the most. I know a couple of people here in NZ who have already received theirs and they are totally overwhelmed to the point that their mirrorless FFs are sidelined.

I use the P30t for my 135 film needs and haven't really looked into their digital realm that much..

Among all cameras on sale today, that camera intrigues me the most. I know a couple of people here in NZ who have already received theirs and they are totally overwhelmed to the point that their mirrorless FFs are sidelined.

I use the P30t for my 135 film needs and haven't really looked into their digital realm that much..

Cool. I didn't know they had made it into people's hands yet (other than reviewers). Glad to hear they're enamored with the camera.

Pentax gets short shrift in reviews IMHO, and their marketing (at least here in the US) has been abysmal. They really are good cameras (provided you don't need top-level AF), and some of the lenses just cannot be had anywhere else.

Pentax was a love/ hate thing for me until the K-1. Their APS-C bodies had OVFs that were too small and dim for my eyes and caused too much eye strain and headaches, which was frustrating because I loved the ergonomics, lenses, etc... K-1 fixed the eye strain issue, but is lacking in buffer size/ speed of clearing and AF at a level I want for birds and airshows.

I'm really hoping this plays well with my eyes and the AF is close to the hype. I'd love to be back to one system.

Had a Vivitar XV-1 (IIRC, long time ago) back in the '80 timeframe, with a couple K-mount lenses (35, 50, 135). Haven't used much K-mount stuff until digital.

I guess I may find out something at the end of the month or into the first week or so of May. Tick tock...

Last edited:
Cool. I didn't know they had made it into people's hands yet (other than reviewers). Glad to hear they're enamored with the camera.
They are already in-stock in Australia, which NZ distributors are getting theirs from. Our top camera store already has it listed. The wait time here is less than 1 week.

Pentax gets short shrift in reviews IMHO, and their marketing (at least here in the US) has been abysmal. They really are good cameras (provided you don't need top-level AF), and some of the lenses just cannot be had anywhere else.
It's the same here. I know many Pentaxians in the South Island and I don't know how they get theirs. Maybe the stores there stock them because of the harsher climates. I haven't actually held a Pentax DSLR yet. They pop up on TradeMe once in a while but they get snapped up easily.

I'm really hoping this plays well with my eyes and the AF is close to the hype. I'd love to be back to one system.
Looking forward to your review, mate!

They are already in-stock in Australia, which NZ distributors are getting theirs from. Our top camera store already has it listed. The wait time here is less than 1 week.

It's the same here. I know many Pentaxians in the South Island and I don't know how they get theirs. Maybe the stores there stock them because of the harsher climates. I haven't actually held a Pentax DSLR yet. They pop up on TradeMe once in a while but they get snapped up easily.

Looking forward to your review, mate!

We're behind, retailers are saying they won't be getting any until the end of the month. Very few stores have Pentax on the shelves, many authorized dealers will order stuff for you but it's not easy to find gear to handle before purchase.

I'll post my impressions in the Pentax section.

Not quite gear, but it's an acquisition which will never be spoiled by future GAS: I just got Stephen Shore's book American Surfaces in the mail. My hot take review after flipping through it: it's right up my alley. Beautiful early color of everyday scenes and images from road tripping and wandering around early seventies America. Nostalgia, Americana, consumerism and tackiness in a really straightforward, lovable way.

Not quite gear, but it's an acquisition which will never be spoiled by future GAS: I just got Stephen Shore's book American Surfaces in the mail. My hot take review after flipping through it: it's right up my alley. Beautiful early color of everyday scenes and images from road tripping and wandering around early seventies America. Nostalgia, Americana, consumerism and tackiness in a really straightforward, lovable way.

Nice - added to my list for later purchase.

What the hell? As the kids say, you only live once. Pre ordered.

1618492196149.png

It may seem like a small acquisition, but the eyecup which I just bought for my GX9 seems to enhance the camera's overall usability and 'feel' in hand by about 1000 %. It looks a little on the large side---

X30_Apr15_21_GX9_eyecup.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And it definitely sticks out a bit on the rear---

X30_Apr15_21_GX9_eyecup#1.jpg

And, truth be told, it's not designed for wearing glasses. But, when you put your eye up to the viewfinder, suddenly seeing becomes a much more immersive and compelling experience.

When I first purchased this camera, the original owner included what I soon discovered was, for me at least, a vital accessory: the factory hand grip which makes the camera feel a million times better in my hand.

I would say this eyecup may be an equally vital accessory - for transforming and enhancing the way I am using this camera.

X30_Apr15_21_GX9_eyecup#3.jpg

In a nutshell, and I realize this may sound heretical, but it elevates the camera's EVF/viewfinder usability to the level of my former all-time mirrorless favorite EVF, that of my late GX8. It's that good.

Finally received this near new E-M10 Mk4 after FedEx shuffled it around the country and California before delivering it. Odd, but the box looked untouched! As I'm slimming down my MFT gear, this little jewel will be my primary shooter. It has the perfect compliment of features for my needs. :2thumbs:
View attachment 255286
An OMD with that lovely little 17mm pancakes does look like a very enjoyable kit! It's one I hanker after sometimes.

While not directly photo related (I promise I'll add a photo to my Woodcraft thread when it arrives), I purchased some reclaimed Hawaiian Koa to build another ukulele. Authentic Koa is becoming more rare and more expensive, and harvesting live Koa trees is no longer allowed in HI, or so I've read. The wood I bought was salvaged from a fallen tree, and has been drying since 2015. I've only worked with Koa in very small quantities, such as trim pieces, and it's a very attractive wood. Some very expensive hand-made ukes have been made from Koa, so I figured I'd grab some before the scarcity drives the price beyond what I'm willing to pay. Click on the YouTube link at the bottom to hear a professional player putting a high end Koa uke through its paces: aNueNue Custom

Finally received this near new E-M10 Mk4 after FedEx shuffled it around the country and California before delivering it. Odd, but the box looked untouched! As I'm slimming down my MFT gear, this little jewel will be my primary shooter. It has the perfect compliment of features for my needs. :2thumbs:
View attachment 255286
Em10’s are underrated IMHO, and I recommend the Mark II and above to anyone that wants a good m43 body but doesn’t need the weather sealing or high res mode.
Would love to see some samples and your opinion on the 17/2.8 lens.

Em10’s are underrated IMHO, and I recommend the Mark II and above to anyone that wants a good m43 body but doesn’t need the weather sealing or high res mode.
Would love to see some samples and your opinion on the 17/2.8 lens.
Took a couple a while ago SOOC but resized for posting.
P4163016-1920B.jpg
P4163017-1920B.jpg
P4163025-1920B.jpg

The 17/f2.8 is a great pancake and mine has equaled a couple of 17/f1.8 lenses that I used to own. The pancake size makes it the keeper!

Back