GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Arrived today, so far so good!

View attachment 261282

That is friggin' hilarious and coincidental!

I walked into one of my local camera stores today with some left over money from the photo business I just dissolved and picked up:

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
Olympus 17mm f/2.8

IMG_3826.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just because I've always wanted to mess around with them.

I mucked about a little bit today with the 20mm f/1.7 while my dog frolicked at the park. Yes it is a bit slower to focus than other lenses, but I love the size of it. I put it on the EM5 II and played about. I'm about to download the images now and take a look. I think it will be a good companion to the P12-60/2.8-4 lens when I need more light gathering. It only set me back $130. I believe it is the version 1, but I hear optically there is no difference.

The Oly 17mm f/1.8 I always stayed away from because of the crap reviews it got everywhere. However, I saw some pics from @AndyH44 on another thread an thought they didn't look that bad. For the price ($100), I thought it was worth the risk.

I also had an issue with the WANDRD DUO Daypack I got. I got along with it better than the Peak Designs Backpack, but there is a hard plastic like rim that lines the top and sides of the bag on the inside of the zipper. My guess is to have the bag keep it's shape. That liner started ripping from the bag. I've put in a warranty claim with WANDRD, and they stated that it might take up to 2 weeks before they can even contact me to deal with a warranty issue.

So, I also decided that I really like the concept of the rolltop camera daypack. Not wanting to overpay, but appreciating the design of the WANDRD PRVKE 16L, I found a "knockoff" of sorts on Amazon from BESNFOTO. which is basically the same thing, but got it from $70. The PRVKE with the camera cube and all the extra straps is $250. The BESNPHOTO one comes with all the extras for $70. So far so good on it. Might share all that info in it's own thread.

I know, I struggle a little bit with not being patient with WANDRD, but 2 weeks to even look at the claim, which I clearly documented with pictures and a 2 paragraph description just seems a little bit long to me. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS for sure.

Last edited:
That is friggin' hilarious and coincidental!

I walked into one of my local camera stores today with some left over money from the photo business I just dissolved and picked up:

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
Olympus 17mm f/2.8

Just because I've always wanted to mess around with them.

I mucked about a little bit today with the 20mm f/1.7 while my dog frolicked at the park. Yes it is a bit slower to focus than other lenses, but I love the size of it. I put it on the EM5 II and played about. I'm about to download the images now and take a look. I think it will be a good companion to the P12-60/2.8-4 lens when I need more light gathering. It only set me back $130. I believe it is the version 1, but I hear optically there is no difference.

The Oly 17mm f/1.8 I always stayed away from because of the crap reviews it got everywhere. However, I saw some pics from @AndyH44 on another thread an thought they didn't look that bad. For the price ($100), I thought it was worth the risk.

I also had an issue with the WANDRD DUO Daypack I got. I got along with it better than the Peak Designs Backpack, but there is a hard plastic like rim that lines the top and sides of the bag on the inside of the zipper. My guess is to have the bag keep it's shape. That liner started ripping from the bag. I've put in a warranty claim with WANDRD, and they stated that it might take up to 2 weeks before they can even contact me to deal with a warranty issue.

So, I also decided that I really like the concept of the rolltop camera daypack. Not wanting to overpay, but appreciating the design of the WANDRD PRVKE 16L, I found a "knockoff" of sorts on Amazon from BESNFOTO. which is basically the same thing, but got it from $70. The PRVKE with the camera cube and all the extra straps is $250. The BESNPHOTO one comes with all the extras for $70. So far so good on it. Might share all that info in it's own thread.

I know, I struggle a little bit with not being patient with WANDRD, but 2 weeks to even look at the claim, which I clearly documented with pictures and a 2 paragraph description just seems a little bit long to me. FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS for sure.

The P20/1.7 is always a good choice, and you learn to anticipate the slower focusing, it's an acceptable trade-off for the image quality. Actually, I remember the 17/2.8 being pretty slow to focus as well, not really that much faster than the 20mm.

While I briefly had the original EM5, I was pretty conscious of the fact that the 20mm created pretty bad banding at higher ISO - it did with the EM10 that I owned for quite a while, and a quick test confirmed that it did with the EM5 even more. I think it shouldn't be a problem with the EM5ii.

Picked up a K mount Sigma 10-20mm. I know people can get enamoured with different things - speed, sharpness, reach. At the moment I'm on a wide kick.

51251566357_ded8fac00c_o.jpg
_PXK1339 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Quick shot down the valley at 10mm

51251566332_fa4dd420ef_o.jpg
PXK59946 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Pentax 15mm DA for Comparison

51252491173_cfa5337a7a_o.jpg
PXK59953 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Picked up a K mount Sigma 10-20mm. I know people can get enamoured with different things - speed, sharpness, reach. At the moment I'm on a wide kick.

View attachment 261321_PXK1339 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Quick shot down the valley at 10mm

View attachment 261322PXK59946 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Pentax 15mm DA for Comparison

View attachment 261323PXK59953 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr
Very cool! My issue that's turned up with the K-mount Sigma 17-50/2.8 is a heck of a lot of purple fringing. Have you run into any with the 10-20?

Very cool! My issue that's turned up with the K-mount Sigma 17-50/2.8 is a heck of a lot of purple fringing. Have you run into any with the 10-20?
Weather has been terrible here. Will have to get it out and about - will let you know when I post some pics in the Pentax thread. Incidentally I got a Sigma 17-70 f2.8 with my K-7 and was not super impressed with it on the older sensor; seemed to perform much better on the K-5.

I have a Jupiter 12 as my wide angle lens. It's not a bad lens and I don't want to get rid of it but it's not necessarily the one I want as my primary wide lens. Then I found this:

s-l500.jpg

For a ridiculously low price. The pictures look good for the price, there is one possible problem in the description but the price was low enough to take the risk. It should go well with my 50/1.5 Nokton and 90/4 Elmar.

Despite DHL's claims it wouldn't be till next tuesday, my new to me 35/1.7 Ultron arrived. Supposedly foggy and wobbly. I don't see _any_ haze even with the flashlight. I don't feel any barrel wiggle. I think that I got one hell of a steal, I mean deal, here folks.

20210623_153312.jpg

This bit of brassing is the worst thing I can find.
20210623_153314.jpg

Looks pretty on the 240 ;)

20210623_154704.jpg

I stumbled across a reasonably-priced camera + lens duo --- of a camera I have been intrigued by since it was first announced, and more intrigued by the posts of our own Bill Palmer (aka Lightmancer) here on Cameraderie - as well as via the photographs (and words) of two photographers I admire immensely, Patrick La Roque and Charlene Winfred.

X30_Jun22_21_X-Pro3_top.jpg

It's beautifully made. And I like the way (or should I say wayS, plural) it's designed. Dials and buttons that seem to make sense.

X30_Jun22_21_X-Pro3_dials.jpg

Was having a conversation with a close friend of mine who is a fine photographer and who, like me, only started using digital cameras after years and years of shooting analog (mainly older-school SLR's). He commented that in 99% of his shooting, he only uses the viewfinder or EVF, and never consults the screen. I don't think I'm as high as 99%, but in this day-and-age of screen-only photography, I definitely fall into the obsessed-with-viewfinders camp. Short version: I think I can live with this layout, easily.

X30_Jun22_21_X-Pro3_back.jpg

The lens is a departure for me - I've gravitated toward wider angles for some time - but for years I shot with only a 50mm on ancient Pentaxes, so in a way this 35mm feels like, if not exactly a homecoming, a return to familiar territory.

X30_Jun22_21_X-Pro3_front.jpg

My quick initial reactions: the OVF is interesting but the EVF is much, much nicer. Sizewise, it feels surprisingly comparable to my former wonderful Pentax KP: the Fuji is longer but the Pentax is deeper and heavier, and overall, both cameras feel nicely substantial (and well-engineered) in hand.

More (hopefully) to follow...

I stumbled across a reasonably-priced camera + lens duo --- of a camera I have been intrigued by since it was first announced, and more intrigued by the posts of our own Bill Palmer (aka Lightmancer) here on Cameraderie - as well as via the photographs (and words) of two photographers I admire immensely, Patrick La Roque and Charlene Winfred.

View attachment 261944

It's beautifully made. And I like the way (or should I say wayS, plural) it's designed. Dials and buttons that seem to make sense.

View attachment 261945

Was having a conversation with a close friend of mine who is a fine photographer and who, like me, only started using digital cameras after years and years of shooting analog (mainly older-school SLR's). He commented that in 99% of his shooting, he only uses the viewfinder or EVF, and never consults the screen. I don't think I'm as high as 99%, but in this day-and-age of screen-only photography, I definitely fall into the obsessed-with-viewfinders camp. Short version: I think I can live with this layout, easily.

View attachment 261946

The lens is a departure for me - I've gravitated toward wider angles for some time - but for years I shot with only a 50mm on ancient Pentaxes, so in a way this 35mm feels like, if not exactly a homecoming, a return to familiar territory.

View attachment 261947

My quick initial reactions: the OVF is interesting but the EVF is much, much nicer. Sizewise, it feels surprisingly comparable to my former wonderful Pentax KP: the Fuji is longer but the Pentax is deeper and heavier, and overall, both cameras feel nicely substantial (and well-engineered) in hand.

You know, I’ve sorted of stayed away from the newer Fuji’s on the basis that they won’t render like the older models up to the XT1, but as any other digital camera out there. But now that I see you have the the XP3 in your hands, I just know you’re going to prove that “theory” as bunkum and I very much look forward to seeing the images.

Nice! I love the idea of the X-Pro3, and the idea of using an OVF in particular. But since I'm also thinking about going longer, lenswise, to at least 35mm (possibly 50mm), I wonder if I wouldn't just end up using the EVF. In which case an XT3 would be a slightly less sexy version of exactly the same for half the price, or the XT4 would add IBIS (and a rotating screen I'm not fond of).

I hadn't bought (and kept) a new (to me, I buy nearly everything used) camera since 2014 if memory serves me right, and some cameras have fallen by the wayside to leave me with only an X100 for the last 4 years or so.

Then in May, I bought a Fuji XF10 as always with me cam. Not perfect but it fits my requirements very nicely. I wrote my first impressions here: Fuji Showcase - Fujifilm XF10 - A place to share your photos
Below is how I like to hold it during walks, by three fingers without exerting any effort.

DSC_3694.jpg

Then I went on holiday to the Caribbean island of Curaçao a few weeks ago (yay for vaccines and strict lockdown bringing the breakout there to a quick stop), and borrowed my mom's Olympus TG2 for snorkeling and diving. Fun to take photos underwater, but even though the Olympus TG series has always bested the competition, the button layout is too crowded which leads to wrong settings mid dive, and ultimate image quality isn't that amazing either.

Enter a € 200 steal: SeaLife DC2000 in great condition, along with a busted up housing, handles, and a 128gb micro SD card thrown in for free! I've yet to try it underwater and it might be some time before I get to, but first impressions: camera itself a little bigger than I thought from the pics, housing definitely bigger than I thought. Still much better than an ILC with housing, and the camera without housing already can handle 18m which is the max depth of my license anyway There's very limited adjustability (zero jpeg settings beyond "fine" or "normal"), but everything it does have, is optimized for diving. Robust AF, and decent autofocus ;-) Image quality seems really quite good (1" sensor with f/1.8 lens at 32mm equivalent focal length). Raw recording is indeed abhorrent at 5 seconds, making it effectively a jpeg only camera except for planned static shots. Thankfully DR on the jpegs seems to be quite high.

All in all, it's a pretty chunky bit of kit, but that should aid stability in the water.

DSC_3691.JPG

View attachment 261944

View attachment 261945

View attachment 261946

View attachment 261947

I saw that camera in your Flickr self-portrait of a couple days ago, and have been waiting to see a post in this thread since! ;)

That's a very nicely laid-out camera. I can see now how the small screen would work to improve handling, as you can hold all around the back of the camera with the left hand without "bothering" the screen. I would probably use it like a top-mount LCD (I've never even had one of those in a camera I've owned but wanted one for a long time - in an age of cameras with programmable dials instead of direct settings, it can be helpful to see at a glance what the camera is set at. I'm finding with the EM5ii that carrying it with the screen closed on itself is less than helpful when I need to remind myself of the settings, I have to raise the EVF to my eye to see anything, or else open up the LCD. But then, this camera has both direct dials AND an LCD status screen!). I like the control layout a lot on the back, Fuji has finally been addressing the overkill-buttons problem which digital cameras have suffered from for years.

Back