GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

I was just wondering if you were still using the Wandrd Prvke and how you have found it? Also, do you use a camera insert with it?

I have heard the material can be easily marked. Has this been your experience?

Thanks in advance
Yes, Andrew, I still am using it - and I think overall, it's become my favorite small daypack which works for both a few cameras and all kinds of other things, too. The main compartment easily houses one or two smallish cameras and a lens or two. It came with a nifty and customizable insert but (confession follows) I stuck the insert in a drawer and just sort of shove whatever camera or lens (or lenses, plural) I'm taking with me into the main compartment. There are a number of other tiny little compartments which I find useful for all kinds of things - including extra batteries, chargers, plugs, and whatnot. There's even a tiny section which is perfect for wallets and what not.

The case also has a padded sleeve into which, if necessary, I can slide my 13" MacBook Air, which surprises me since the case almost doesn't seen big enough to hold a tiny laptop. It also has room to stash extra gloves, cap, a shirt or sweater for layering in the cold, etc. The laptop sleeve also works wonderfully for bringing along a book, as well as my never-leave-home-without-it e-Book aka my Amazon Kindle.

I wouldn't exactly say that I've abused it but I have used it quite a bit and hadn't really noticed that the material is easily marked. Though, on second thought, it's possible it may not be quite as pristine as it was when I originally purchased it. But overall, the best parts are its functionality - its surprising capacity for such a smallish pack - and its comfort: it is a seriously comfortable (and adjustable) day pack.

I may have to re-explore using my photo insert one of these days, but, honestly, just having one space to chuck in a camera or two or a lens or two works for me. It's more or less the same tactic I've used for various shoulder bags that I've had which have doubled as camera bags.

Overall, it's been a fine bit of gear - and I have used it far, far more than I ever expected.
Hope this answers some of your questions. If you've got more, fire away!

Yes, Andrew, I still am using it - and I think overall, it's become my favorite small daypack which works for both a few cameras and all kinds of other things, too. The main compartment easily houses one or two smallish cameras and a lens or two. It came with a nifty and customizable insert but (confession follows) I stuck the insert in a drawer and just sort of shove whatever camera or lens (or lenses, plural) I'm taking with me into the main compartment. There are a number of other tiny little compartments which I find useful for all kinds of things - including extra batteries, chargers, plugs, and whatnot. There's even a tiny section which is perfect for wallets and what not.

The case also has a padded sleeve into which, if necessary, I can slide my 13" MacBook Air, which surprises me since the case almost doesn't seen big enough to hold a tiny laptop. It also has room to stash extra gloves, cap, a shirt or sweater for layering in the cold, etc. The laptop sleeve also works wonderfully for bringing along a book, as well as my never-leave-home-without-it e-Book aka my Amazon Kindle.

I wouldn't exactly say that I've abused it but I have used it quite a bit and hadn't really noticed that the material is easily marked. Though, on second thought, it's possible it may not be quite as pristine as it was when I originally purchased it. But overall, the best parts are its functionality - its surprising capacity for such a smallish pack - and its comfort: it is a seriously comfortable (and adjustable) day pack.

I may have to re-explore using my photo insert one of these days, but, honestly, just having one space to chuck in a camera or two or a lens or two works for me. It's more or less the same tactic I've used for various shoulder bags that I've had which have doubled as camera bags.

Overall, it's been a fine bit of gear - and I have used it far, far more than I ever expected.
Hope this answers some of your questions. If you've got more, fire away!
Thanks, Miguel. Your comments are most helpful. I am thinking of the Pvrke 31 in the second version and a photo insert as I want the bag to be an everyday carry for Uni now that I have retired from University, just to back to as an on-campus student :doh: With the insert, I am thinking it will be easy to swap from one mode to the other and to carry to two bodies and an O 12-100 + O 75-300 hopefully attached. Oh also if we are ever allowed to travel again it will be my carry-on bag.

Bought part of a film stash from a friend who's cutting back on his film photography;
Some Fomapan 100, some Ilford HP5+ and PAN F.

Picked up this Welta Weltax last sunday at a flea market;
Weltax02.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stela with Anastigmat-Erisar shutter/lens combo, uncommon, but not particularly special.
The camera is missing the 6x4.5 frame mask, of course.

And these are on their way to me as well;

Leotax F
leotax02.jpg

Lordomat
Lordomat01.jpg

Just ordered a used Nikon Z 16-50 lens for my soon incoming Nikon Zfc.

the Zfc kit is coming with the 28mm SE prime, but looking to see how the smaller kit lens fairs. If I like the performance of the 16-50, I should have a nice, small travel kit in Nikon. Can use the adapter 70-300 for the long zoom game.

all my other systems have their travel load outs, so why not this Nikon! 😜

Okay, I just ordered:
  • the Nikon Z 7 II;
  • the Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S;
  • the Z MC 105mm f/2.8 S;
  • the Nikon Z fc kit with Z 28mm f/2.8 SE.
The Z fc kit will arrive later (maybe by the end of this month, not sure); I'll pick up the other stuff next week.

I'll also be getting a bunch of accessories, but I'll decide later what exactly; anyway, I already have stocked up on CFExpress cards a little while back (for the Z 6).

As is usual for me (by now), what's as important as what's coming in is what's going out:
  • the Sony A7 II;
  • the Sony A6000 (no, I'm not keeping it after all - the Z 50 and Z fc can take over now that I own a Z-to-E adapter; not the AF one, a simple dumb one, but it works);
  • the Sony FE 55mm f/1.8;
  • the Samyang 35mm f/2.8 FE;
  • the Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C (tough decision, but I'll be fine for the time being, what with the Z fc and the 28mm SE ...);
  • the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 C for Sony E;
  • the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G;
  • the Olympus 25mm f/1.8;
  • the Olympus 45mm f/1.8;
  • the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 C for :mu43:;
  • the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 A for :mu43: (still on the fence about this one, though - it's one of the best lenses of its kind, small and strong; I just don't use it much);
  • various bits and bobs around the Sony system, AF adapter, speedlight, flash system accessories; maybe even the external charger I've used for Sony batteries if I can't find a useful insert ...
  • maybe more that I've forgotten about at the moment; I'll put it all together over the weekend, I think.
By the time the Z fc is landing, I'll also have decided on the Fujifilm system. I'm still not entirely sure I'll keep it because these days, I just pick up the Z 50 whenever I could also go for the X-E3, but I do like all the bits I have ...

M.
I just went back and re-read this post. Would be curious to know what makes you grab the Z50 over the Fuji kit?

Just ordered a used Nikon Z 16-50 lens for my soon incoming Nikon Zfc.

the Zfc kit is coming with the 28mm SE prime, but looking to see how the smaller kit lens fairs. If I like the performance of the 16-50, I should have a nice, small travel kit in Nikon. Can use the adapter 70-300 for the long zoom game.

all my other systems have their travel load outs, so why not this Nikon! 😜
I think you're going to like the 16-50. Output is very nice imo.

I just went back and re-read this post. Would be curious to know what makes you grab the Z50 over the Fuji kit?
Sorry if it sounds trite, but: Mainly the grip, but also the fact that it's a straightforward camera to use, with excellent ergonomics, including a far superior EVF to the X-E3. It's obviously a lot nicer to carry in the hand with the Z 16-50mm than the X-E3 with any lens other than the 27mm - even though I think that Fujifilm did a good job with the grip of the X-E3; it feels a lot more secure than, say, the GX9. Moreover, it's no problem to shot the Z 50 with longer lenses - it works perfectly fine with the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E on the FTZ adapter. The X-E3 is just about manageable with the 90mm attached (and the additional grip doesn't help enough).

And in terms of IQ, I'm constantly and pleasantly surprised by what the Z 50 delivers. It's not better than the X-E3, but it's not any worse in practical terms, especially regarding the results after a little pp.

Please note: I don't dislike the X-E3 - on the contrary, I really lilke that camera. But I find myself picking the Z 50 - because it works for me, and because it certainly delivers the goods.

As things stand, I'll probably keep the Fujifilm setup around for the time being - the X-E3 kind of marks the sweet spot of the X-E line for me, and as such is a hard camera to let go. And I certainly like the lenses - even though the Z 16-50mm is actually a more reliable performer (again, after pp) than the Fujifilm 18-55mm, a lens I'm still quite fond of and find more "charming" ...

Anyhow, I shot the X-E3 with the 23mm f/2 again last week and found it rather pleasant ... We'll see how things stand once the Z fc and 28mm SE arrive.

M.

Not trite at all. I find these kinds of "intangible" discussions valuable. Honestly, early on, I was all about the specs and nothing but the specs. As I've matured as a photographer, I find that specs are fine if they tick all the boxes you need, but how it feels to use and how the experience of using it makes you feel is just as, if not in some cases more important, than those specs.

I picked the D500 from Nikon as my high performance sports camera because as "neat" as it was to use a D5, I didn't need all that it had to offer and it was just bigger than I needed to carry around with me.

So, thank you for sharing your thoughts on your choices. Makes me not feel as crazy as I do sometimes when people ask me why I'm shooting with a specific camera and I tell them, "it feels good", "I find it fun" and they look at me like I'm nutz. LOL

Sorry if it sounds trite, but: Mainly the grip, but also the fact that it's a straightforward camera to use, with excellent ergonomics, including a far superior EVF to the X-E3. It's obviously a lot nicer to carry in the hand with the Z 16-50mm than the X-E3 with any lens other than the 27mm - even though I think that Fujifilm did a good job with the grip of the X-E3; it feels a lot more secure than, say, the GX9. Moreover, it's no problem to shot the Z 50 with longer lenses - it works perfectly fine with the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E on the FTZ adapter. The X-E3 is just about manageable with the 90mm attached (and the additional grip doesn't help enough).

And in terms of IQ, I'm constantly and pleasantly surprised by what the Z 50 delivers. It's not better than the X-E3, but it's not any worse in practical terms, especially regarding the results after a little pp.

Please note: I don't dislike the X-E3 - on the contrary, I really lilke that camera. But I find myself picking the Z 50 - because it works for me, and because it certainly delivers the goods.

As things stand, I'll probably keep the Fujifilm setup around for the time being - the X-E3 kind of marks the sweet spot of the X-E line for me, and as such is a hard camera to let go. And I certainly like the lenses - even though the Z 16-50mm is actually a more reliable performer (again, after pp) than the Fujifilm 18-55mm, a lens I'm still quite fond of and find more "charming" ...

Anyhow, I shot the X-E3 with the 23mm f/2 again last week and found it rather pleasant ... We'll see how things stand once the Z fc and 28mm SE arrive.

M.
This is how I feel about the X-S10. The ergs are very good and make the camera more fun to use. The X-T30 is nice with small lenses like the 27. So, of course I do the opposite. The X-S10 has the 35 1.4 on it and the X-T30 is right next to me with the 16-80.
My situation is based on two things. I like to use a two-body approach with a fast prime on one and a zoom on the other. I like to walk around with the prime, so the body I like better with the IBIS gets the 35. The zoom is used less often and has OIS so the X-T30 get the 16-80. The zoom is heavy enough so I always use the left hand to support the weight anyway.
2BB9F96E-339A-4290-8094-66FE96308DF9.jpeg

Last edited:
As I've matured as a photographer, I find that specs are fine if they tick all the boxes you need, but how it feels to use and how the experience of using it makes you feel is just as, if not in some cases more important, than those specs.
This is exactly why I loved, and kept going back to the X-Pro2. Even now I have thoughts of going back to the Pro2 despite the fact that it has inferior AF to my X-T3.

This is exactly why I loved, and kept going back to the X-Pro2. Even now I have thoughts of going back to the Pro2 despite the fact that it has inferior AF to my X-T3.

yes, if I ever decide to slim down my fuji gear, I’d sell the X100V before I sold the XPRO2.

I’m weird though and I like the options of having the optical viewfinder and EVF.

Well, the Z16-50 showed up yesterday. Initial impressions are positive. I didn't get much time with it because of the time spent at the car dealership getting my new car. It feels like nothing on the Z6. Can't wait to see how it feels on the Zfc.

Been looking for a Summar or Summitar of late. Thought I'd found a Summar but was advised that it wasn't good at the price it was at. And was advised about a different lens completely that was similar in many ways to the Summitar... So as a result, I have this:

View attachment 264834
coming from an ebay seller in Japan.

I love 50 mm lenses :D
Did you have a look at the old 50mm F1.5 Summarit as well William? Not technically perfect by today’s standards but capable of some unique rendering, probably akin to what you’ve just purchased.

Back