GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

This may be a slight heresy here but my latest acquisition that I ordered this morning is not camera related. Oh no, not at all. Though I imagine it will be in more than a few pictures I take in the near future... ;)

A Paul Reed Smith SE Standard 24. My neighbors may be less happy than I for me to have it :drinks:

D20699C.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D20699.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got my z mount 105 MC yesterday and took it out for a spin today. Quick Lightroom edits on my phone.

Attachments

• E8BA8EEC-F599-43AF-8BF3-7CB6C22FC6C2.jpeg
    E8BA8EEC-F599-43AF-8BF3-7CB6C22FC6C2.jpeg
    624.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DA730ED3-7C7B-4444-B922-4B135889F310.jpeg
    DA730ED3-7C7B-4444-B922-4B135889F310.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 49E2681B-4148-4148-927F-E903EDD0C316.jpeg
    49E2681B-4148-4148-927F-E903EDD0C316.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 37
  • F5137B9D-D7FA-4E07-A505-E3F9622A6F70.jpeg
    F5137B9D-D7FA-4E07-A505-E3F9622A6F70.jpeg
    486.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 9AD9DE67-8D05-4073-87C6-1963B78C05D5.jpeg
    9AD9DE67-8D05-4073-87C6-1963B78C05D5.jpeg
    598.4 KB · Views: 49
  • FBA3FD3D-8620-4BE4-B957-A67D9D7A4393.jpeg
    FBA3FD3D-8620-4BE4-B957-A67D9D7A4393.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Panasonic S1 deals and while I haven't snatched anything yet, today I placed to order two Urth adapters (Leica M and Nikon F to L-mount) so that I have adapters ready.

While those Urth adapters are cheap and are shipped free of charge, the experience left a bad taste as after my order I received a welcome message in email, offering 10% off the next purchase. How often am I going to order stuff? Now I am inclined to cancel the whole thing.

This whole affair is bizarre, to be honest. I hardly have any GAS towards this camera -- it's as if I am doing this out of old habit? To be sure, I have mild curiosity to see how it works and if would offer benefits to me.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Panasonic S1 deals and while I haven't snatched anything yet, today I placed to order two Urth adapters (Leica M and Nikon F to L-mount) so that I have adapters ready.

While those Urth adapters are cheap and are shipped free of charge, the experience left a bad taste as after my order I received a welcome message in email, offering 10% off the next purchase. How often am I going to order stuff? Now I am inclined to cancel the whole thing.

This whole affair is bizarre, to be honest. I hardly have any GAS towards this camera -- it's as if I am doing this out of old habit? To be sure, I have mild curiosity to see how it works and if would offer benefits to me.
Mike, learn to use fully what you already have.
All of my gear is better than I am ...

John I know your heart is in the right place and the underlying idea is solid, but your advice sounds a bit trite, if I am being brutally honest here.

It's not always about perfect utilization of a camera or lens. There's also preferences and convenience and personal style that weigh in.

For example I know perfectly well that carrying a tripod with my old MP240 would eliminate the issues I have with its high ISO performance. But I'm a handheld shooter at heart, and tripods are clumsy in big cities anyhow.

Or perhaps I should dedicate more time to my wonderful m4/3 companion instead of checking out the latest FF cameras? Well sure, but the cameras I have are just incredibly shitty in low light. I am not talking about ISO performance but simply how the camera struggles to feed the EVF image in pitch dark and everything is just miserable. The tool has to be enjoyable to use. These days I opt for optical viewfinders because they never lag, no matter how low the light levels are.

In other words, I don't want my camera to dictate my shooting style. It ought to be the other way around. If my style evolves over time, as it has, then I let my tools evolve with it.

I have a pretty solid idea what features I want in my camera improved to help it accommodate my particular style -- sadly the latest digital Leica cameras are prohibitively expensive. That's why I have these "side quests" to see what's there over the fence.

I have just acquired a used Lumix 45-200mm for some extra reach. It had the firmware v1.0 when I got it and now it's updated to v1.3 which significantly improved exposure and OIS.
IMGP9266.JPG

IMGP9272.JPG

IMGP9278.JPG

When putting it on the GM5, it's the camera which needed rotating like a rear lens cap.

The kit is now slightly front-heavy. 🙂

I have just acquired a used Lumix 45-200mm for some extra reach. It had the firmware v1.0 when I got it and now it's updated to v1.3 which significantly improved exposure and OIS.
View attachment 277787
View attachment 277788
View attachment 277789
When putting it on the GM5, it's the camera which needed rotating like a rear lens cap.

The kit is now slightly front-heavy. 🙂
That was my first telephoto lens for µ4/3, it didn't do bad at all on the G1. Yours looks like it had a real workout of the previous owner(s); usually not a bad sign, they must have liked it enough to use it.

That was my first telephoto lens for µ4/3, it didn't do bad at all on the G1. Yours looks like it had a real workout of the previous owner(s); usually not a bad sign, they must have liked it enough to use it.
Yup, according to the seller, the family used it for almost ten years doing landscape photography. They have now switched to a PanaLeica 100-400m.

Finally ...

View attachment 277830

And here's me feeling ill enough to know that I won't be able to use this lens out and about for at least another couple of days (if not longer - touch wood). Bugger ...

M.
All the best! At least you have something to look forward to, surely will motivate your body to ramp up recovery 🤞. That 2/40 is a whole lot smaller than my Zeiss Batis 2/40.

Reading through this stuff makes me feel better. I still have my ongoing dilemma over my Leica SL2s purchase. My latest thinking is that I will keep the SL2s and sell all my Sony gear to finance a Leica Q2. I use the A9 mainly for photographing Lucy because of it's eye focus but now she is 4 I feel that she's finding it rather intrusive, plus we don't see so much of her now she is at play school. I'm trying to decide whether or not to trade in the A9 or the RX1RII .... finding it a difficult decision!

After a brief try out, I decided to move on the Olympus 9mm fisheye BCL. I also sold my Olympus 14-150. With those funds I have bought (re-bought) a Panasonic 12-60, which I feel is sharper and has more 'pop' than the 14-150, plus I don't need the extra reach 99% of the time; and the Panasonic 25mm/1.7, that being mostly for photographing Stanley the Spaniel indoors (the little 12-32 being fine for outside work but a bit rubbish in low light, and I don't want to use flash).

This may be a slight heresy here but my latest acquisition that I ordered this morning is not camera related. Oh no, not at all. Though I imagine it will be in more than a few pictures I take in the near future... ;)

A Paul Reed Smith SE Standard 24. My neighbors may be less happy than I for me to have it :drinks:

View attachment 277351

View attachment 277353

I did a similar thing, recently. I bought a smaller guitar than the one I had previously because I am, shall we say, a bit too “bulky” for most acoustic models (its part of why I sold the last.) Imagine my disappointment when I found I can’t remember nearly anythng I used to play, and not only that, my hands and fingers are too arthritic now to manage the strings. QUELLE DOMMAGE!! (the shot is a product shot, not mine)

Its a Yamaha APXT2 (APXT2 - Overview - Yamaha - Music - Australia)
FF7F6C13-D9A6-4D61-AAA5-82EBB86D5600.jpeg

Last edited:
Back