GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

My most recent double acquisition: an Olympus Stylus 1S bridge camera + a Nikon TC-E15ED (1.5x) teleconverter. I bought the camera very lightly used from a fellow photographer on our sister (mu-43.com) website, in the hopes that it might become a) a much lighter-weight alternative for birding & wildlife to the Sony RX10m4 (which is a remarkable camera, but over time just felt toooo big and heavy to lug around on long hikes), and b) possibly a cool small travel camera.

The 1S (basically identical to the 1, with cosmetic and firmware improvements) certainly qualifies as a small camera.

EP5_Nov24_21_Stylus1S_#3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Plus it's got that nifty auto-open-auto-close lens cap which I quite like (I had one on my LX7 and another on my G1X MkIII, and they are brilliant little gadgets).

EP5_Nov24_21_Stylus1S_#2.jpg

The resemblance to its nearly identically sized (but much larger sensored) mu-43 Olympus sibling, the E-M5, is not accidental.

EP5_Nov24_21_Stylus1S_#1(silver.efex).jpg

It's a handsome little camera with a very solid feel to it (though obviously it can't compare to the tank-like heft of my former Sony RX10). But it feels significantly better built than a handful of older Lumix FZ bridge cameras I used to own years and years ago. (No, it's neither as solid - nor as heavy - as the newer generation of much larger Panasonics, the FZ1000's.)

Since birders are never happy until one can get even closer to the subject, the 300mm extreme end of the Stylus 1S's telephoto is decent, but gives only half the reach of the later RX10's 600mm equivalent. Olympus's solution was to offer a 1.7x teleconverter with very good quality, but a handful of obsessive Stylus 1 owners have done experimentation with various other brands of TC's and their conclusions (and images) suggest that the best (IQ-wise) teleconverters to date have been made by Nikon, for some of their bridge cameras. The other advantage of the Nikon TC-E15ED) is that they are dirt cheap these days, less than half the price of the Olympus TCON-17x's. (They do require a step-down ring to fit onto Olympus's CLA-13, which is in turn necessary for any TC use.)

This is what the whole thing (camera + adapter + teleconverter) looks like---

EP5_Nov24_21_Stylus1S+teleconverter#1.jpg

Not only is the whole package waaay lighter (and smaller) than the RX10M4 - but it's also significantly smaller than my other previous temporary telephoto zoom experiments (an Olympus 75-300mm on my GX9, or a 55-300mm on my old Pentaxes).

EP5_Nov24_21_Stylus1S+teleconverter#2.jpg

But in spite of the small size and relatively light weight, it feels quite good 'in hand'.
AF speed can't compare to that of the RX10M4 (with its remarkable lens) but for most of what I do and plan on doing with it, it's more than fast enough. Olympus also designed a cool bit of hardware, a lever on the camera front with two positions - one for AF, the other converting the camera to MF for seriously detailed fine-focusing (of more static subjects). The cool thing about this hardware is that the zoom lens itself has a very-usable, large knurled ring which, in AF mode, serves as a click-stop aperture ring - while in MF mode, converts to a focusing ring. That feature alone, which I had read about but couldn't quite wrap my mind around until starting to use it, is worth its weight in gold.

The lens seems to be another underrated Olympus/Zuiko masterpiece. No, a 1/1.7" sensor can't give me the quality of my other larger-sensored cameras; but as the Fuji X30 and the Pentax Q7 (both of which share this sensor size) have taught me, it's nonetheless a surprisingly good sensor. Best of all, initial returns on the Nikon teleconverter indicate it lives up to its (admittedly not well publicized) reputation. I'm attaching two (uncropped - the whole frame) shots taken with it, for illustration. The first, a visiting adult Bald Eagle, whom I glimpsed this morning sitting in a tree, more than 1/4 mile from my house---

Stylus_Nov24_21_distant_bald_eagle.jpg

The second, yesterday, but from much nearer (obviously), of a visiting bird (a white-crowned sparrow)---

Stylus_Nov23_21_white-crowned_sparrow#1.jpg

And, just for fun, two photos taken without the TC. The first, taken during a random neighborhood stroll---

Stylus_Nov20_21_bird_mailbox#1.jpg

The second, interestingly, was the first photograph I took with this camera after it arrived; taken late at night, inside a closet, at rather high ISO (3200), slowish shutter speed (1/30 second), wide open at max aperture (f/2.8) - really more of an experiment, to see if the constant f/2.8 lens can be used for available light photography, and whether I could live with the noise levels from the tiny sensor.

Stylus_Nov13_21_Kafka_cap.jpg

I think this camera's going to be a keeper.

Last edited:
Well....so went into the local camera store and they had a used Oly 12-100 for $800....brought the trade and it is MINE!!
IMG_4285.jpg

Yes - it is dirty, I have not cleaned it up yet.

Initial impression....well, this is one of those situations where I could kick myself for not getting the lens sooner. I loved shooting with it on the EM1.2. Great all around experience with it today. Will post some images on another thread.

Looking forward to using this more in the future.

Buying old Lumix cameras seems to turn into a hobby of its own, am a bit miffed having missed out on a rather sweet deal on a GH2, with the 14-42PZ, battery grip, 5 batteries, remote and some other sundries for $175ish, due to the fellow selling it sold it to someone that could pick it up. Then again, today the stars aligned and I am now eagerly awaiting a GM5/12-32 for $330ish and a lumix DMW-PS10 bag , a little 3 liter, new from another vendor, for $37ish including postage.

What I should use the GH2 for, I have no idea, but it was cheap and by all accounts somewhat smallish and cheerfull.

The GM5 is probably my grail camera, and I have regretting not getting one whilst they were available new, I ended up with the GX8 instead, after handling both models and the G7 in a brick and mortar, deeming the GM5 to be to small, the G7 to be to plasticky and the GX8 to be just right (bedding and porridge optional). The idea was to have get another house to compliment my GX7, instead I ended up with a GX7 in the drawer and just running with the GX8.

The lord works in mysterious ways... 😂

Lumix bag.jpgGM5 front.jpegGM5 back.jpeg

Last edited:
What I should use the GH2 for, I have no idea, but it was cheap and by all accounts somewhat smallish and cheerful.
At the time I really liked the GH2's handling, but it had one flaw that drove me crazy: no electronic first curtain, so shutter shock was horrible. I went through a few telephoto zooms, the last one being the very nice 45-175mm, but I had to use shutter speeds of 1/500 or faster to avoid motion blur caused by the shutter's movements. The GH2 was succeeded by the Sony NEX-6, incorporating electronic first curtain, what a relief that was!

Well....so went into the local camera store and they had a used Oly 12-100 for $800....brought the trade and it is MINE!!
View attachment 279173

Yes - it is dirty, I have not cleaned it up yet.

Initial impression....well, this is one of those situations where I could kick myself for not getting the lens sooner. I loved shooting with it on the EM1.2. Great all around experience with it today. Will post some images on another thread.

Looking forward to using this more in the future.
It will soon be one of your favourite lenses. I've got a used one from a photo shop (exhibition piece), it was only mounted on cameras to show people its full range, and I got it even cheaper than what you paid for yours. It had no traces of usage whatsoever, used like new.

What I like especially about it: at full length it has a beautiful bokeh (see #7,170), and I can't see why people criticize its sharpness on the long end (maybe you must be a pixel counter for that). For me it's the ideal lens when I'm on a short weekend trip and don't want to carry three primes with me. For the last few weeks I've concentrated my shootings mainly on this lens and it's quite a long time since I last mounted the 2.8/12-40 pro. I'll probably sell that one.
There are only two Oly lenses that have fascinated me more: the 1.8/75mm and the 2.8/60mm macro.
I'm looking forward to seeing your first shots taken with it.

Last edited:
It will soon be one of your favourite lenses. I've got a used one from a photo shop (exhibition piece), it was only mounted on cameras to show people its full range, and I got it even cheaper than what you paid for yours. It had no traces of usage whatsoever, used like new.

What I like especially about it: at full length it has a beautiful bokeh (see #7,170), and I can't see why people criticize its sharpness on the long end (maybe you must be a pixel counter for that). For me it's the ideal lens when I'm on a short weekend trip and don't want to carry three primes with me. For the last few weeks I've concentrated my shootings mainly on this lens and it's quite a long time since I last mounted the 2.8/12-40 pro. I'll probably sell that one.
There are only two Oly lenses that have fascinated me more: the 1.8/75mm and the 2.8/60mm macro.
I'm looking forward to seeing your first shots taken with it.

The 75mm 1.8 is one of those magical lenses. The first time I left m43 for Fuji, I was almost going to keep a cheap OMD body (EM10) and that lens because I was afraid I'd never find it's equal. In m43, there is none, but luckily for me the Fuji 90mm f/2 is the answer. Still not 100% the equal in my eyes to the O75/1.8, but good enough for me.

Buying old Lumix cameras seems to turn into a hobby of its own, am a bit miffed having missed out on a rather sweet deal on a GH2, with the 14-42PZ, battery grip, 5 batteries, remote and some other sundries for $175ish, due to the fellow selling it sold it to someone that could pick it up. Then again, today the stars aligned and I am now eagerly awaiting a GM5/12-32 for $330ish and a lumix DMW-PS10 bag , a little 3 liter, new from another vendor, for $37ish including postage.

What I should use the GH2 for, I have no idea, but it was cheap and by all accounts somewhat smallish and cheerfull.

The GM5 is probably my grail camera, and I have regretting not getting one whilst they were available new, I ended up with the GX8 instead, after handling both models and the G7 in a brick and mortar, deeming the GM5 to be to small, the G7 to be to plasticky and the GX8 to be just right (bedding and porridge optional). The idea was to have get another house to compliment my GX7, instead I ended up with a GX7 in the drawer and just running with the GX8.

The lord works in mysterious ways... 😂

View attachment 279211View attachment 279212View attachment 279213
Congrats on the purchase, GM5 brother. Prepare to be allowed to go where no cameras have gone before, places where system are restricted.

Having to buy my own St.Nicholas day / Christmas gifts...... 🙄
So I ordered a couple of second-hand books;
Kuc's "Auf den Spuren der Contax", part 2, dealing with the Post-War Contax cameras.
Zuhlke & Kruckenhauser's "Bergbild mit der Leica", from 1938 on mountain/snow photography. (Max Zuhlke worked under Max Berek at Leitz at the time)

It will be next week before it arrives, but I ordered a copy of the Stephen Shore book American Surfaces.

Other than that, making final decisions on what goes, and will be waiting for the new 27WRs to be in stock so I can pick one up when I feel the need.

It will be next week before it arrives, but I ordered a copy of the Stephen Shore book American Surfaces.

Other than that, making final decisions on what goes, and will be waiting for the new 27WRs to be in stock so I can pick one up when I feel the need.
I like that book! My only wish would be for the photos to be bigger, but there are quite a lot of them, and there is definitely a variety of interest in what's displayed. But as a very considered set of snapshots it's really interesting.

I like that book! My only wish would be for the photos to be bigger, but there are quite a lot of them, and there is definitely a variety of interest in what's displayed. But as a very considered set of snapshots it's really interesting.

I'm going to enjoy paging through it, most likely. That body of work looks like so many of our family travel snapshots from the '60s and '70s.

Next year I'll getting a few other table books I've been wanting. Eyeing a couple from David Yarrow, I really like his monochrome wildlife photos.

Back