GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

I’m not familiar with how it works. Can you see the view through the app and take pictures remotely? If so, it could be a cool little wildlife camera, where you could set up a feeding spot and then remotely shoot photos and videos. You can do the same with a camera, but this might be even easier to get creative angles, and you wouldn’t worry so much about an animal messing with more expensive gear.
It works pretty similar to the way you can connect to any other Olympus camera through their app and shoot remotely. It connects via WiFi and Bluetooth. You can select the mode (PASM), ISO, aperture, etc. from within the app and can move the focus point via the touchscreen and snap a photo.

The trouble is that it's really laggy and I'm constantly getting pop-up messages about the connection being lost (despite the fact the phone and camera are within a foot of each other). I'll have to play around with it some more to see if I can do anything to improve the connectivity.

The wildlife application could be fun, but you'd have to be hiding behind a tree pretty nearby for it to work, I'm afraid.

Peter Forsgård posted a video about the Air a few months back. He mounted his on the end of a long telescoping pole and got some interesting perspectives out of it that way. I'm sure there are plenty of other interesting uses one can find.

- K

KWPilotReflex01.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Acquired this week; an early K.W. Pilot reflex

Decided to get a nicer messenger bag. I only have an el cheapo...pretty small and falling apart. This used ONA Prince Street Leica Edition certainly looks lovely. Hopefully function is as nice as the form.
View attachment 296804
View attachment 296805
Turns out my ONA Prince Street is actually a Berliner ii, according the small tag I found tucked in a side pocket. Unfortunate, as it’s a slightly smaller bag than the Prince Street, and my small work laptop will not fit. So this bag will not serve double duty.

However, it is LOVELY. And thankfully it is still just large enough to fit my full frame DSLR gear. Actually, it fit the Df with a large Tokina 16-28 f2.8 mounted, as well as a 24-85 zoom and 35 or 58mm primes (but not both). It would also be more than enough space for when using a small mirrorless with a couple lenses and a film camera with a lens or two. May not be exactly what I expected, but I’m thrilled with it.

Also, I bought DxO filmpack 6 as my free trial had just expired. I’m really enjoying it.

Perks of the job. This showed up today...
58335A15-E837-4E64-A977-4347E5C89365.jpeg

Nikon swapped out the Z6 and FTZ adapter I was borrowing from them for a Z6ii and second gen FTZ, and also provided a 24-200 lens. An email accompanied it shortly after its arrival, and in Icelandic it said ‘Enjoy your trip to Iceland’. I leave for Iceland the 28th. Thanks Nikon!

Perks of the job. This showed up today...
View attachment 297892
Nikon swapped out the Z6 and FTZ adapter I was borrowing from them for a Z6ii and second gen FTZ, and also provided a 24-200 lens. An email accompanied it shortly after its arrival, and in Icelandic it said ‘Enjoy your trip to Iceland’. I leave for Iceland the 28th. Thanks Nikon!
Yes, but did you BUY it like us common folk? :p

Of course not! 🤣It’s on loan to me. What kind of perk would it be if I had to purchase it?
I guess the thread does say “acquisition“ and not “buy” like in that other place with a similar thread. So are you traveling there via your magic wardrobe, and are you taking any other gear?

Also, with some of the wait times out there, just getting an item you’ve ordered can sometimes feel like a perk. I have no clue when my XF 70-300 is going to arrive. It’s like a VS support request.

Last edited:
I guess the thread does say “acquisition“ and not “buy” like in that other place with a similar thread. So are you traveling there via your magic wardrobe, and are you taking any other gear?

Also, with some of the wait times out there, just getting an item you’ve ordered can sometimes feel like a perk. I have no clue when my XF 70-300 is going to arrive. It’s like a VS support request.
I’ll be traveling via plane vs Narnia wardrobes unfortunately. I will be bringing a small ton of gear for this trip. I kind of figure the name of the game for Iceland will be weather sealing and ND filters, so outside of a complete compliment of filters and the Z6ii goodies above, I’m also lugging with -
Nikon Df
Tokina 16-28 2.8
Tamron 35mm 1.8
Nikkor 24-85 variable
Tamron 150-600

If I have room maybe I’ll toss in my X100f for fun.

Oh sure, give a drunk a drink! I’m still trying to figure out how to save a custom film sim.

Far and away the most comprehensive collection of recipes for Fuji custom (in-camera) film Sims can be found on Ritchie Roesch's superb website, Fuji-X Weekly--

In addition to dozens and scores of mind-bogglingly cool Film Sim recipes, Ritchie has organized them according to which X-Trans Fuji camera you happen to have (as the abilities and customizability of the different Fujifilm cameras vary quite a bit, from model to model). If you are 'into' the possibilities of in-camera jpeg film sim recipes, the Fuji-X Weekly is a true treasure trove - and almost reason enough, in itself, to buy an X-Trans Fuji camera to experiment with them (if one is so inclined).

A side note on the previous discussions about Fuji's XF 35mm f/1.4 lens -- I bought one with the lightly-used X-Pro3 I acquired last year and, hands down, it may be THE BEST 50mm equivalent lens I have ever used. I can't say enough good or superlative things about the lens. Its main drawback is, simply, that it is so good, it makes one reluctant to ever use any other Fujifilm lens.

I’ll be traveling via plane vs Narnia wardrobes unfortunately. I will be bringing a small ton of gear for this trip. I kind of figure the name of the game for Iceland will be weather sealing and ND filters, so outside of a complete compliment of filters and the Z6ii goodies above, I’m also lugging with -
Nikon Df
Tokina 16-28 2.8
Tamron 35mm 1.8
Nikkor 24-85 variable
Tamron 150-600

If I have room maybe I’ll toss in my X100f for fun.
If I recall right, “Nam in Sonoma“ posted some great shots from there with the E-M1.3 and E-M1X, HHHR mostly. I think he even had the E-M1.3 fall into the ocean, and he just washed it off with bottled water. So yeah, WR might be important. :D

If I recall right, “Nam in Sonoma“ posted some great shots from there with the E-M1.3 and E-M1X, HHHR mostly. I think he even had the E-M1.3 fall into the ocean, and he just washed it off with bottled water. So yeah, WR might be important. :D
And if I can eek out a single picture that looks half as good as any of his, it’ll be a massive success!

OK, I'll roll over on this one. I have fallen under the sway of Jupiter lenses, mostly Jupiter, KMZ ones, and from the 50's, as early as possible. I ruined one early one I am hoping to resurrect. I got a very nice '57 which has been kind. The color is very accurate. As a '57 it is most likely Soviet glass and internals. I found a '51 Jupiter 8 in Russia and bought it just after the war started. The seller assured me he could deliver. I hoped for the best. It arrived yesterday. It is sharper than the '57 and as a '51 it is most likely still Zeiss glass and Zeiss internals.

Alongside my sweet Canon 50mm LTM f/1.8 the Jupiter 8 has better color and is very smooth. The Canon is very nice but the "pop" shows up in skin tones. If we ever get sunshine here in NW Oregon I will take the '51 out for a stroll. The cost, you ask? US$99 including shipping. Yeah, i got lucky, really lucky.

And if you want to know about Jupiter lenses, and Zeiss, especially the pre-wars (That's as Archie says, "The Big One! WW II") which have special qualities found in the post-war Jupiters, Brian Sweeney is your man. He is a moderator on this board. Russia got Zeiss as a war prize.

Far and away the most comprehensive collection of recipes for Fuji custom (in-camera) film Sims can be found on Ritchie Roesch's superb website, Fuji-X Weekly--

In addition to dozens and scores of mind-bogglingly cool Film Sim recipes, Ritchie has organized them according to which X-Trans Fuji camera you happen to have (as the abilities and customizability of the different Fujifilm cameras vary quite a bit, from model to model). If you are 'into' the possibilities of in-camera jpeg film sim recipes, the Fuji-X Weekly is a true treasure trove - and almost reason enough, in itself, to buy an X-Trans Fuji camera to experiment with them (if one is so inclined).

A side note on the previous discussions about Fuji's XF 35mm f/1.4 lens -- I bought one with the lightly-used X-Pro3 I acquired last year and, hands down, it may be THE BEST 50mm equivalent lens I have ever used. I can't say enough good or superlative things about the lens. Its main drawback is, simply, that it is so good, it makes one reluctant to ever use any other Fujifilm lens.
I have the app on my iPad for it. Yes, it’s an amazing collection of old film types. What I really like is being able to easily access them for what I might be shooting, without having to fiddle much, and then be able to pull JPGs that need little to no editing afterward. There are some shots I want to really work on, but many candid family shots, I just want to be able to transfer the JPGs as I shot them, and maybe save the RAFs that I really want to work with later.

Well my A7 got lost in the post so no A7. I did get that I do not need Nikon 1 series J1,3,5 and 30-110, on the way long as the right delivery company (not Evri/Hermes) Nikon J3 and V1 10-30, 10mm and 18.5 and the flash for the V1. Also ahem another Billingham as I am a massive fan the f2.8 and a Pentax Q with 02 5-15mm lens as I have fancied one for years. I wont keep the J1 nor maybe the V1 and flash both bought to get the lenses with them but the j1 shares a battery with the J3's so not so sure.

Q Fish-Eye - seems OK but like my other 'toy' lenses, there is a knack to focussing - the stops don't really help much - there is a bit of a sweet spot somewhere in the middle.

51950864204_1e5c04525b_o.jpg
P3210004 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

I'll need to try some shots when its less miserable outside

51951160950_d5c911e254_o.jpg
IMGP1976 by Walter Kernow, on Flickr

Back