GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

A Panasonic G9, from a forum member here.

I had been a Panasonic shooter for years: FZ50, G5, G6, GF7, GX85, G85. When I wanted to upgrade to a 20MP sensor I rented a G9 and an E-M1 II to compare them. The Olympus felt better in my hand and, at the time, was less expensive. No doubt the E-M1 II is the best camera I have ever owned, it became my primary shooter. The G85 calls to me though and I still use it some. Now the price of the G9 in the used marked has dropped and I have to give it another try. The viewfinder is just incredible and it has that Panasonic feel that I have used for years. Time will tell if the size is troublesome for me. I know that we have had several members go the other way moving from G9 to E-M1 (I'm looking at you @Darmok N Jalad ). If nothing else the comparison will give me motivation to get out and shoot.
The G9 is quite the beast. Solid build, handles well, maybe 10% too big depending on your viewpoint. As much as folks can point at the inferiority of DFD, Panasonic really massaged the best they could out of it, and it honestly does a respectable job in all but the most demanding situations where more expensive gear usually is required. Another factor that inspired me to change was I just enjoyed the output of the Olympus better, just notably warmer. Though be warned, I've really taken to the X-T3. It's quickly becoming the perfect camera for me. I don't even care that it lacks IBIS, and the JPGs are pretty much always good enough for me.

Been wanting for some time to get me a suitable 28mm lens for street photography to go with my Sony A7R4. So far I used the Sony E 2.8/20 which downgrades my camera to APS-C format; works OK, but a FF lens would be nicer. But there aren't many FF AF options: I don't like the Sony 2/28 (too big for street, dull imagery) and 24mm would be a bit too wide. My Sony FE 4/24-70 works well enough but attracts a bit too much attention due to its size.

So I was eyeing the compact Sony FE 4-5.6/28-60 and when a camera shop offered a new one for € 300, I decided to check it out. Seemed OK in the shop and a street shoot immediately thereafter revealed that it does better than expected in terms of focusing and image quality.

S01-20220406-040.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Been wanting for some time to get me a suitable 28mm lens for street photography to go with my Sony A7R4. So far I used the Sony E 2.8/20 which downgrades my camera to APS-C format; works OK, but a FF lens would be nicer. But there aren't many FF AF options: I don't like the Sony 2/28 (too big for street, dull imagery) and 24mm would be a bit too wide. My Sony FE 4/24-70 works well enough but attracts a bit too much attention due to its size.

So I was eyeing the compact Sony FE 4-5.6/28-60 and when a camera shop offered a new one for € 300, I decided to check it out. Seemed OK in the shop and a street shoot immediately thereafter revealed that it does better than expected in terms of focusing and image quality.
That lens is a bit like the Lumix 12-32 f/3.5-5.6 - unassuming, even tiny, but performing far beyond what one might expect from it. I got mine in a kit with the a7C, and it surprised me too. Color rendition is where it clearly loses to a 24-105 G, but otherwise it really does perform far beyond what would be reasonable to expect from it. And it's tiny! Well, tiny among FF stuff anyway.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned... Or at least bought another second-hand lumix G, this time around the G6 along with a 14-140mm MkII, a Cullman bag, a filter holder and some diverse filters.
G6 14 140.jpgg6 cullman bag.jpgg6 filtre pluss filterholder.jpg
Pics from the add

All in for about $300ish.

I have been curious about the 14-140mm for quite a while and I have the two power zooms (14-42/45-175) from earlier shenannigans, I thought "why not" with the PZ toggle on the G6, when the bundle surfaced on the local classifieds.

Again, no other need than greed and lust plus price, the 14-140 MkII second hand usually runs for $50-100 more on its own up here, so it could always be offloaded if not to my liking, recuperating the outlay.

As to the camera body, I think maybe I will give it a spin as a film camera with the PZ zooms, trying out some live pictures, it is about time.

I really should have a little rummage in the gear cupboard and off-load some stuff that are surplus to requirements or at least get a better idea about what I have stockpiled, other than just "a lot"...

Only drawback now is delivery time, due to the easter hollidays, it will most likely not be here untill next Tuesday.

I'm deeply ashamed to admit that I bought yet another camera bag, a Peak Design 6L Sling. Fortunately, this one looks like it's the perfect bag so I won't need to buy any more in the future.

1649793133504.png

Here's my reason for _needing_ it...ostensibly:
On my last trip, there were a few days when carrying a regular backpack was necessary but I also wanted a bag in which I could gear a camera, lens and a few other things that would be close at hand. I would normally use a smallish waist pack for this but I also like the ability to use the bag as a sling, particularly if I'm using it with a heavy jacket. I couldn't find a waist pack that I liked that could do both modes, but this sling bag does also work ok as a waist pack, and quite frankly I think I will be using it in sling mode most of the time. And yes, its dimensions are so incredibly different from my 10L Peak Design Sling that you can't even compare the two or credibly suggest that I should just use the 10L sling which I already own, instead.

I know what I'm doing.

I'm not crazy.

You're the crazy one.

Inateck cable organizer (turntable for scale)

20220412_115439.jpg

20220412_115447.jpg

This is a pretty blatant clone (ripoff?) of Peak Design's Tech Pouch. I couldn't justify PD's $60 price tag, especially when this one sells for half that.

I'm hoping to put it to use to wrangle spare batteries, travel chargers, cables, filters, lens caps, wrist straps, etc.

- K

Last edited:
I'm deeply ashamed to admit that I bought yet another camera bag, a Peak Design 6L Sling. Fortunately, this one looks like it's the perfect bag so I won't need to buy any more in the future.
You will, indeed you will. :unsure:
And a vest. Yes, I went there. :coffee-79:
A vest is good and great, I have a very, very beaten up Domke one in proper cotton, somewhere in my stash. It took me through the 90s and partially the 00s. The little Mrs hides it most of the time, but she at least dont throw it out, but I have a sneaking suspicion that that is her overall goal for it.

I really should try to get it fixed, it needs patching on a couple of the pockets and getting the neck band repaired, it is worn through by use. Splendid piece of gear! :drinks:

I have the Pixii in the works and as it is APS-C I need a couple of WA lenses. So I sprung for a Canon 35mm f/2.0 (black) and a '51 KMZ Jupiter 12 35mm f/2.8. I am told that its red lens retaining ring is an indicator the glass is Zeiss. Aw, shucks. That would be nice. I have some other Jupiters and like the lower contrast colors. They have been truer. I also find the Canon lenses to be color true but a little more contrast that the Jupiters.

Pixii, send me my camera, please, SVP, SVP, SVP.

The Canon 35 showed up today. Miniscule like the Canon 28mm LTM.

You will, indeed you will. :unsure:

A vest is good and great, I have a very, very beaten up Domke one in proper cotton, somewhere in my stash. It took me through the 90s and partially the 00s. The little Mrs hides it most of the time, but she at least dont throw it out, but I have a sneaking suspicion that that is her overall goal for it.

I really should try to get it fixed, it needs patching on a couple of the pockets and getting the neck band repaired, it is worn through by use. Splendid piece of gear! :drinks:

The Domkes I saw back in the day were pretty nice.

I could never find a proper photog vest that fit me. All were too long (I'm a short troglodyte). Would have loved a Domke sized shorter.

Found a "travel" vest that isn't too long. I don't plan on loading up too heavily with gear, they're not really designed to carry a lot of photo stuff. Got one in two sizes, one for the hot seasons and one for the not quite so hot season.

I have the Pixii in the works and as it is APS-C I need a couple of WA lenses. So I sprung for a Canon 35mm f/2.0 (black) and a '51 KMZ Jupiter 12 35mm f/2.8. I am told that its red lens retaining ring is an indicator the glass is Zeiss. Aw, shucks. That would be nice. I have some other Jupiters and like the lower contrast colors. They have been truer. I also find the Canon lenses to be color true but a little more contrast that the Jupiters.

Pixii, send me my camera, please, SVP, SVP, SVP.

The Canon 35 showed up today. Miniscule like the Canon 28mm LTM.
A 35mm lens on an APS-C sensor comes to basically 52mm-e. I would consider that focal length squarely "normal", not WA.

Although I like the idea of the Pixii the fact that it has an APS-C sensor along with my infatuation with WA and Ultra-WA shooting really kills it for me. (Also the price, the fact I'm a cheapskate who refuses to buy almost anything "new" and the fact I don't own any M-mount glass are holding me back.)

That said, I really hope that your faith is rewarded.

- K

A 35mm lens on an APS-C sensor comes to basically 52mm-e. I would consider that focal length squarely "normal", not WA.

Although I like the idea of the Pixii the fact that it has an APS-C sensor along with my infatuation with WA and Ultra-WA shooting really kills it for me. (Also the price, the fact I'm a cheapskate who refuses to buy almost anything "new" and the fact I don't own any M-mount glass are holding me back.)

That said, I really hope that your faith is rewarded.

- K

Yes, I know the crop factor conversion. I have the sweet Canon 28mm LTM f/2.8 for WA. I was speaking of WA on regular cameras which on APS-C are "normal" or greater.

I buy used, too. But the Pixii really got my interest and, as I have said, I do not want any heirs to get too fat off me. I think my tax bracket is going up this year as I spend savings. Woohoo!!! But being a WA fanatic and not having any M mount lenses puts you at a disadvantage, or maybe advantage. ;o)

I don't plan on loading up too heavily with gear, they're not really designed to carry a lot of photo stuff.
General load-out in mine were normally two lenses, plus one on the camera on a strap out of the vest. Then a compact P&S of sort in a breast pocket, and the rest of the sundries plus whatever needed for the outing, typically some sort of light reinforcement clothing plus a water bottle and some food/snacks.

Normally it was complimented with a 35 liter daypack with other stuff and the vest rolled up in that readily packed if it was a full days outing. A somewhat layered approach but Semper Paratus and such.

I probably should get back to that level of systematic approach. :unsure: :drinks:

General load-out in mine were normally two lenses, plus one on the camera on a strap out of the vest. Then a compact P&S of sort in a breast pocket, and the rest of the sundries plus whatever needed for the outing, typically some sort of light reinforcement clothing plus a water bottle and some food/snacks.

Normally it was complimented with a 35 liter daypack with other stuff and the vest rolled up in that readily packed if it was a full days outing. A somewhat layered approach but Semper Paratus and such.

I probably should get back to that level of systematic approach. :unsure: :drinks:

Systematic is good IMHO.

Mostly very short jaunts from the vehicle for me, or a day at an airshow. Vehicle trips, just grab what I need for the short out & about, then back. For airshows these days, if it doesn't fit in pockets and vest, and on the sling(s), it doesn't go.

So, what does a 35mm LTM f/2.0 Canon look like, you ask? Well, I just happen to have a picture. We have had three or four days of stormy weather, blowing, raining and some snow and sleet. The PNW, the land of the drizzle.

Here is another photo off my back porch because it is too lousy to go out. Just at sunset, f/8.0.

L1001976.JPG

Canon's 35/2 was an exquisite lens. I had one I used on film rangefinders a while back. Should not have sold it :doh:

I believe I heard you mention the Canon 28/2.8? I had the 28/3.5 and it remains the finest WA I have ever used. Yes, a bit slow at times but the optical quality was astonishing. My current Jupiter 12 35/2.8, Voigtlander 35/1.7 & 21/4 are all very good but that tiny little Canon Serenar lens was the best.

For sake of the thread, my latest purchase remains my 7Artisans 50/1.1 lens that is an utter hoot to play with in available darkness :drinks:

Back