GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Now it is the same time, 29 April. Oh, well. I have made it this far in life without the camera. Another day is bearable. As they say down South, "Not every day is Sunday."

This really is a big deal for me. I am not sure why. I am enthusiastic about the camera and its design philosophy, all soft/firmware with a mechanical rangefinder and no other mechanicals. The sensor is well-tuned judging by what other folks are getting in their shots. And I will be free of the insufferable Übermenschenkeit of Wetzlar. Moving from one cult to another. LMAO At least these French folks are amiable.

Last edited:
Finally got around to picking up an old 4/3 25mm 2.8 for my e-300. Rated in excellent condition from a reputable seller for a very fair price. Now I just need to hunt down the relatively rare battery grip for this camera.
6A2045BC-3FB9-4BEE-B71A-91B184D14588.jpeg

As an example of what "amiable" is with "these French folks" I got an email from the head of Pixii today telling me he had checked my camera's delivery status and that it would be here today. He went on to tell me about a suggestion I had made, HDR, its problems in implementation and possible future. That is amiable in my book.

Current owners are happy with their cameras which is good. I have read of no one sending theirs back, that is good. The photos in the FB group are good as are those in the Flickr group. Hopefully I will be adding something worthwhile this evening. And then you folks will start to suffer.

Just purchased an extraordinary photo book by Bill Ganzel, 'Dust Bowl Descent', published in the early 1980's.

EP5_April29_22_Dust_Bowl_Descent.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the book, Ganzel pairs his newer photographs - all taken in the decade between 1970 and 1980, more or less - of a number of the F.S.A. photographs of impoverished and displaced workers, farmworkers and farmers, who lost their livelihoods and homes during the 1930's, and many of whom became homeless migrants, searching for the impossible dream of not necessarily a better life, but a life in which they could earn enough money to feed and clothe their hungry children. After an extraordinary amount of research, Ganzel was able to photograph many of the same people - and sometimes the same places - 40-odd years after they appeared in the original photographs during the 1930's. It also features thoughtful text and moving quotes, many from the original subjects who were interviewed while their photos were being taken.

EP5_April29_22_Dust_Bowl_Descent(Migrant.Mother).jpg

I was surprised to learn that thanks to reprinting, the book is available, both new and used, for extraordinarily reasonable prices now. For those who care about documentary photography, it's a great resource.

Finally got around to picking up an old 4/3 25mm 2.8 for my e-300. Rated in excellent condition from a reputable seller for a very fair price. Now I just need to hunt down the relatively rare battery grip for this camera.
View attachment 306913
Chris, while it's a wonderful little lens, try to avoid very straight lines right on the edges of the frame. Like me, it has distinct barrel distortion ;) . e.g. the granite at the very bottom of the frame is actually dead straight ...

e-510_jak_2010-_3136261_Ew.jpg

Boer War memorial, St Kilda Road, Melbourne.

Chris, while it's a wonderful little lens, try to avoid very straight lines right on the edges of the frame. Like me, it has distinct barrel distortion ;) . e.g. the granite at the very bottom of the frame is actually dead straight ...

View attachment 307108

Boer War memorial, St Kilda Road, Melbourne.
Good info. I feel like I should be able to correct for that distortion...seems very mild. Kind of odd to see pincushion on a focal length like this. I’ll test when it arrives.

Good info. I feel like I should be able to correct for that distortion...seems very mild. Kind of odd to see pincushion on a focal length like this. I’ll test when it arrives.
It's a very simple optical design, Chris.
Made for form factor rather than perfect optics, I suppose.

No s/w correction in those days ...

I just ordered my first photobook:
TO:KY:OO by Liam Wong. The topic is nighttime photography in Tokyo, with the shots trying to imitate or recreate a "Cyberpunk" related atmosphere as you'd see in movies like Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell. I ordered the hardcover version just for the sake of quality. Looking forward to it.

Was out and about in Bangkok early this afternoon when it started to rain. Headed in to MBK to dodge the drops and while there found this at FotoFile.

21K on the shutter. I paid $700 (US) for the body :dance4: Stoked!

Russ

Though I never owned one, I always had a sweet spot for the Nikon Df, in my opinion it's just a beautiful, well made camera. With just such a low shutter count for that price, it seems like you got yourself a great deal there.

Last edited:
It’s funny, Chris, that I am heading to Iceland next year. So I was thrilled to read the impressive photos and travelogue you recently posted. And now have a Df I can take along too. Your post certainly made the buying decision easier. Now all I need is your skill set :)

Russ
That’s awfully kind Russ, and probably untrue! I’m certain you’ll enjoy your trip, and the camera!

I just ordered my first photobook:
TO:KY:OO by Liam Wong. The topic is nighttime photography in Tokyo, with the shots trying to imitate or recreate a "Cyberpunk" related atmosphere as you'd see in movies like Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell. I ordered the hardcover version just for the sake of quality. Looking forward to it.
I've looked at that one too. Seems really cool! I do always love a good cyberpunk vibe.

Well, I now have a Panasonic G80 and Olympus 40-150 4-5.6 to go with the little LX7. Initial impressions are very favourable for both camera and lens. I still have the Lumix 12-60. Currently looking for an affordable wide angle prime, and considering the TTartisans 17mm f1.4. Watch this space!
Why the LX7?

Just purchased an extraordinary photo book by Bill Ganzel, 'Dust Bowl Descent', published in the early 1980's.

View attachment 307081

In the book, Ganzel pairs his newer photographs - all taken in the decade between 1970 and 1980, more or less - of a number of the F.S.A. photographs of impoverished and displaced workers, farmworkers and farmers, who lost their livelihoods and homes during the 1930's, and many of whom became homeless migrants, searching for the impossible dream of not necessarily a better life, but a life in which they could earn enough money to feed and clothe their hungry children. After an extraordinary amount of research, Ganzel was able to photograph many of the same people - and sometimes the same places - 40-odd years after they appeared in the original photographs during the 1930's. It also features thoughtful text and moving quotes, many from the original subjects who were interviewed while their photos were being taken.

View attachment 307082

I was surprised to learn that thanks to reprinting, the book is available, both new and used, for extraordinarily reasonable prices now. For those who care about documentary photography, it's a great resource.

These Depression era works were marvelous in their skill and a real look at America on the edge. As a kid, yes I am old, I remember our post office had the Depression era interior murals and they were really good. I did not know it at the time. I am a student of "recent" US History by education and am familiar with this era. So the photographs are wonderful.

The famous picture of the woman in the migrant camp was taken in Nipomo, CA. There is a really great steakhouse there, Jocko's, and you'd best stop for a steak if you are around. It is a humble joint but you can't eat the decorations.

Last edited:
Back