GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

I have the Elmar in hand. I can see the coating issues he described but I think this is going to be a somewhat lower contrast lens rather than any really big problem. For the low cost, it is easy to live with I think. I'll go wander out to a couple of the usual suspects in a bit to see for sure.

View attachment 321132
Lower contrast? No problem! I find it quite charming and unlike today's rendering. I keep wondering whether to get the F3.5 version of the Elmar, which has (probably unintentional) flaring I find quite appealing.

Short Round arrived today. I'll be eating Ramen and SPAM (kidding, kinda) and limiting other expenditures (not kidding) for the foreseeable future. Good thing is, buying it on sale, if I don't abuse it and have to sell it in the next few years the amount I lose will probably be less than what it would cost to rent it with insurance for a few airshows.

Whelp. I went and did a thing. Hoping very much it arrives before my long road trip into Canada next week.
Damn near mint condition, multiple batteries and cases, and all original boxes.
View attachment 320897
View attachment 320898
View attachment 320899
View attachment 320900

Side note, I’ve added my fujifilm x100f up for sale now as well, as I don’t see a world where these two make sense together (let me know if interested). I’ll always grab a 28mm before a 35mm. Although I’m sure I’ll miss the optical viewfinder, if I grab another Fuji down the road it’ll be an xpro 3.
Ha! I went and did a thing too! I’ve been debating a Leica rangefinder or a version of the Q. I had a M-P (Typ 240) but ended up selling it, mainly because it was a little chunky. The newer M’s are a bit slimmer. I started thinking about lenses and realized I would mainly be using a 28, 35 and 50 on an M. Reading a Q2 review put it all in focus (pun intended) as the reviewer talked about the wonderful 28mm lens, plus the built in cropping at 35, 50, and 75mm. So I started searching for a Q2. I found one on DPR where the ad was over a month old. I figured it was long gone but I PM’d the member anyway. To my surprise he responded the next morning and a deal was made. He was the original owner. It arrived today in very good, 9+ condition, a couple small nicks (to be expected) but otherwise excellent. Better than I hoped for! I found a Thumbs Up grip with a nice patina on FM for a great price as well. I updated the firmware today without issue. It is actually smaller and lighter than I imagined it would be. Really a wonderful camera.

Enjoy your Q Chris, I hope it arrives in time! Now what to do with my X100V!? I do love that camera, the built in flash is nice to have and it has a tilt screen, something I wish the Leica had - ugh - nothing is perfect, is it?

Ha! I went and did a thing too! I’ve been debating a Leica rangefinder or a version of the Q. I had a M-P (Typ 240) but ended up selling it, mainly because it was a little chunky. The newer M’s are a bit slimmer. I started thinking about lenses and realized I would mainly be using a 28, 35 and 50 on an M. Reading a Q2 review put it all in focus (pun intended) as the reviewer talked about the wonderful 28mm lens, plus the built in cropping at 35, 50, and 75mm. So I started searching for a Q2. I found one on DPR where the ad was over a month old. I figured it was long gone but I PM’d the member anyway. To my surprise he responded the next morning and a deal was made. He was the original owner. It arrived today in very good, 9+ condition, a couple small nicks (to be expected) but otherwise excellent. Better than I hoped for! I found a Thumbs Up grip with a nice patina on FM for a great price as well. I updated the firmware today without issue. It is actually smaller and lighter than I imagined it would be. Really a wonderful camera.

Enjoy your Q Chris, I hope it arrives in time! Now what to do with my X100V!? I do love that camera, the built in flash is nice to have and it has a tilt screen, something I wish the Leica had - ugh - nothing is perfect, is it?
Thanks Bruce. And enjoy the Q2! It looks like a wonderful camera, but was a bit out of my budget.
As for the x100v…sell it! The current premium is outrageous, as there is no current stock available on them. eBay has most in the $2k range…a 700-800 markup. I just sold my x100f today after a mere day, and made over a $100 more than what I purchased it for 2 years ago used. If I was patient, I probably could’ve made even more, but a bird in the hand…

Thanks Bruce. And enjoy the Q2! It looks like a wonderful camera, but was a bit out of my budget.
As for the x100v…sell it! The current premium is outrageous, as there is no current stock available on them. eBay has most in the $2k range…a 700-800 markup. I just sold my x100f today after a mere day, and made over a $100 more than what I purchased it for 2 years ago used. If I was patient, I probably could’ve made even more, but a bird in the hand…
You are welcome and thanks as well!

Wow, I had not realized they we’re getting a premium. I’ll have to take a look.

So it was an expensive week 😬 Besides the Q2, I have been looking for a used Olympus 40-150 f4 Pro ever since it was released. I watch B&H for open box and used because they usually give a pretty good discount for them and if there is an issue, it can be returned. The other day a used 40-150 showed up so I had to order it! It came today and is indistinguishable from new condition. I also bought a rubber B&W hood for it. I use them on some of my other lenses too. They collapse down and provide some protection as well. I’m very happy with the lens, it’s a very nice size compared to the 40-150 f2.8 which I have owned for at least 5 or six years now. I don’t plan to sell it since there are times that f2.8 is handy but most of the time, f4 works just fine. I plan to pair this with the 8-25/4 or the 12-45/4 Pro lenses for a very compact and capable travel kit.
0C96E733-EE9C-43C3-BFE3-E81B2C74AF8E.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
So it was an expensive week 😬 Besides the Q2, I have been looking for a used Olympus 40-150 f4 Pro ever since it was released. I watch B&H for open box and used because they usually give a pretty good discount for them and if there is an issue, it can be returned. The other day a used 40-150 showed up so I had to order it! It came today and is indistinguishable from new condition. I also bought a rubber B&W hood for it. I use them on some of my other lenses too. They collapse down and provide some protection as well. I’m very happy with the lens, it’s a very nice size compared to the 40-150 f2.8 which I have owned for at least 5 or six years now. I don’t plan to sell it since there are times that f2.8 is handy but most of the time, f4 works just fine. I plan to pair this with the 8-25/4 or the 12-45/4 Pro lenses for a very compact and capable travel kit. View attachment 321318
That has been a tempting lens for me for sure. The 2.8 is a great lens, just a bit of a beast. The 4 looks right at home on that E-M5. I had the 8-25 in-hand once. I think it might be a bit much on the E-M5, but the 12-45 is a perfect fit and a very good lens on its own account. OMD agrees, as it’s a common bundle offering.

That has been a tempting lens for me for sure. The 2.8 is a great lens, just a bit of a beast. The 4 looks right at home on that E-M5. I had the 8-25 in-hand once. I think it might be a bit much on the E-M5, but the 12-45 is a perfect fit and a very good lens on its own account. OMD agrees, as it’s a common bundle offering.
Yes, the 2.8 version is one of my favorites but I rarely take it on trips due to the size. When I saw reviews for the f4 version being just as sharp I knew I needed to get one eventually. I wasn’t sure about the extension thing but I am fine with it since it makes for a much more compact size in the bag. I do wish it had the MF clutch because I use that quite a bit but if you set AF + MF that works quite well.

You are correct in that the 8-25 is bigger than I like on the EM5.3 but it is ok. It is definitely better on the larger OM-1 or EM1 bodies. Lately I’ve been debating selling the EM5.3 because honestly, when I get right down to it, the OM-1 isn’t that much bigger and it is a little more comfortable waking around with it. I only use wrist straps and the grip of the OM-1 (and the EM1’s before it) makes it easy to carry by my finger tips. All of these f4 Pro lenses are excellent, great to have such choices.

Am I insane? Probably.
Do I like experimenting with odd and older gear? Most certainly!

The local camera store had this thing, and I've always wanted to experiment with one.
Yes, it has an unusual battery setup. It is rather large, but surprisingly light weight.

The controls are "non-typical" but even at first play, it seems rather logical and well laid out.

The biggest thing is I wanted to see what all the fuss was about regarding the color science and the image quality coming from the "Super CCD".

IMG_4908.jpg

IMG_4906.jpg

IMG_4907.jpg

Got a new CF card and reader coming. Haven't needed one of those since I got rid of my Nikon D700! :)

A book showing all of the best locations (for photographers by photographers) along the Oregon coast with very specific instructions on finding good locations. Having a walking disability should be a great tool. With 8" high boots and hiking sticks I can still do a 3 mile in hike but the shorter the better. Going to try and start a monthly trip all year long and this was the best tool I could find as some spots along the cost have very spotty phone service and I wanted to have an old school tool for this purpose:)

Yes, the 2.8 version is one of my favorites but I rarely take it on trips due to the size. When I saw reviews for the f4 version being just as sharp I knew I needed to get one eventually. I wasn’t sure about the extension thing but I am fine with it since it makes for a much more compact size in the bag. I do wish it had the MF clutch because I use that quite a bit but if you set AF + MF that works quite well.

You are correct in that the 8-25 is bigger than I like on the EM5.3 but it is ok. It is definitely better on the larger OM-1 or EM1 bodies. Lately I’ve been debating selling the EM5.3 because honestly, when I get right down to it, the OM-1 isn’t that much bigger and it is a little more comfortable waking around with it. I only use wrist straps and the grip of the OM-1 (and the EM1’s before it) makes it easy to carry by my finger tips. All of these f4 Pro lenses are excellent, great to have such choices.
Yeah, the E-M5 is at its best when you use the primes on it. The F4s on the gripped bodies work pretty well. Even something like the 9-18 was not a problem on the em1. Makes for a very light kit.

Purchased an 7Artisan 35mm f1.2 mk1 got the mark 2 delivered instead.. It's OK tho. Not sure if I'll keep it. (for Fuji)

Recently been using my Oly E-pl8 more for home videos and the quality of its 1080p can only be discribed as "potato". It is really annoying me.

Ive had a look at the E-p7 and the E-pl9/E-pl10 reviews and impressions. Got to the conclusion that an E-pl9(260 euro) with its 4k/30p will be plenty fine (also cheapest) as an upgrade for video. The e-p7 didn't really seem worth the double the cost for my use case.

Also got a nice deal on the plastic fantastic (Oly 40-150 R) for 56 euro.

I love the small bodies and video colours or Olympus, just hope the quality will be OK now.

So, as I mentioned, I got the Elmar in the other day and I got my lens cap for it in today's mail (4.20 GBP for shipping of the little thing ;) )

IMG_20220711_155252138.jpg

IMG_20220711_155435398_HDR.jpg

What a terribly cute & very traditional little package. It really does make a size difference when collapsed. Now I probably should get a E39 UV filter for it and my daily "Always have on me" will be set. I have plenty of other lenses for specific things but I can see keeping this as the "grab and go so I have a camera with me at all times" setup.

I went to get a 58mm polarizer. The local store didn't have any, but instead I left with this:

View attachment 322858

No idea whether I'll ever put a single roll of film through it. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.
You got yourself a budget Nettar there - a model I'm personally quite fond of! Both the shutter (Vario, two speeds and "B") and the lens (the slowest, f/6.3 model of the Novar Anastigmat) are pretty reliable performers - no worse than their more sophisticated counterparts or siblings (the lens can be had in f/3.5 and f/4.5 variants as well, and there are quite a few other shutter options). It's a frugal, but dependable model; my more ambitious variant (f/4.5 lens, Pronto shutter) can be capricious, but I own the lens/shutter combo in an older, 6x9 model and have never had any issues with that one. The slowest Novar Anastigmat sharpens up nicely already at f/8 across most of the image (curiously, brighter variants actually need f/11 - but the f/6.3 is worse in the extreme corners, whatever you do). Anyhow, I'm really quite taken by what this low-end lens - even by the standards of its time! - delivers. The lens is single-coated; be careful when cleaning it, or the coating will come off. I'd suggest using b&w film, btw. - colours can be very muted ...

M.

Good info there, @MoonMind thanks! Though I think I'll still try a roll of color negative if I decide to run a roll through it. Maybe something more saturated, like Ektar or the new Gold 200, then? Muted isn't always bad...

The thing is that if I decided to go with B&W I'd end up buying developing tanks, chemistry, then an enlarger and trays and papers, since that's the only correct route for B&W. And if I did end up with darkroom equipment again (I used to have a darkroom, equipped with a Beseler 45MCX, no less) I'd have to get a Zenza Bronica again. And that would be quite far from just throwing a couple of tenners on an old Zeiss just for fun...

edit.: Sentences make more sense when they're complete...

Last edited:
Back