GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Whelp. I went and did a thing. Hoping very much it arrives before my long road trip into Canada next week.
Damn near mint condition, multiple batteries and cases, and all original boxes.
View attachment 320897
View attachment 320898
View attachment 320899
View attachment 320900

Side note, I’ve added my fujifilm x100f up for sale now as well, as I don’t see a world where these two make sense together (let me know if interested). I’ll always grab a 28mm before a 35mm. Although I’m sure I’ll miss the optical viewfinder, if I grab another Fuji down the road it’ll be an xpro 3.
Didn't notice this the other day. Did you get it in time for your trip? How does it work for you?

I am terribly tempted by the Q series and could see going that way in the future.

Didn't notice this the other day. Did you get it in time for your trip? How does it work for you?

I am terribly tempted by the Q series and could see going that way in the future.
I did, just barely. I’m very much enjoying it, despite some oddities and nuances. I brought 3 cameras on my trip, and I didn’t once touch the other 2, which is unlike me. So that certainly speaks positively about the Q as a whole. Once I fully form an opinion, I’ll probably do a brief write up on it here.

"Leitz also made a very special 180mm f3.4. If you find one, it's color transmission is much higher than their 180mm f2.8. A friend had the f2.8 version and the Leica rep loaned him the very expensive f3.4 model. He shot the same vehicle, a Ford pickup with 'Lazer stripes' on subsequent K64 frames. The difference between the 2 lenses was unreal, from 'OK' to 'really saturated'."

A version of that lens (180mm f3.4) was supplied to the U.S. Navy and U.S. Air Force. It was super-optimized for long distances/infinity IIRC.

Snagged an Oly 12-50 f:3.5-6.3 from the local classifieds today. €/$100 inc. postage

Oly 12-50.jpgOly 12-50 front.jpg
Photos from the ad.

I have been somewhat intrigued by this one for a while, or at least been aware of it.

Slowish at the long end, but with weatherproofing as well as a semi-macro. I think it can be a nice dog walking lens, along with the G90.

Around a dozen years ago, I owned a compact digital Olympus camera, the C-8080, it was my main camera at the time; I wound up selling it, to raise funds for my first DSLR, a Pentax K200d. But over the years, I've often found myself missing the versatility, and the quality of images, of that small Olympus. I'm finally acquiring another one - well, not quite, but actually the C8080's extremely capable and slightly smaller Camedia sibling, the C-7070 - which fellow Camaraderie photographer @Gerry M has been kind enough to part with. Hopefully I'll have a few opportunities to put it through its paces, but my initial impressions of the camera are very positive. It's quite small--

Q7_July21_22_C7070(front).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With a handful of interesting controls and features that I'm really only used to seeing on what appear to be more sophisticated cameras. It's not quite pocketable but fits snugly and comfortably in the hand--

Q7_July21_22_C7070(top).jpg

For those curious, it possesses a 1/1.8" CCD sensor that has a whopping 7.1 megapixels. Since a picture is truly worth a thousand words, here's one of the very first I snapped with it, of the gleaming headlight assembly of a Harley motorcycle parked near a store where I had to do some shopping---

7070_Harley_headlight(ClassicNeg).jpg

More to follow...

Around a dozen years ago, I owned a compact digital Olympus camera, the C-8080, it was my main camera at the time; I wound up selling it, to raise funds for my first DSLR, a Pentax K200d. But over the years, I've often found myself missing the versatility, and the quality of images, of that small Olympus. I'm finally acquiring another one - well, not quite, but actually the C8080's extremely capable and slightly smaller Camedia sibling, the C-7070 - which fellow Camaraderie photographer @Gerry M has been kind enough to part with. Hopefully I'll have a few opportunities to put it through its paces, but my initial impressions of the camera are very positive. It's quite small--

View attachment 324732

With a handful of interesting controls and features that I'm really only used to seeing on what appear to be more sophisticated cameras. It's not quite pocketable but fits snugly and comfortably in the hand--

View attachment 324734

For those curious, it possesses a 1/1.8" CCD sensor that has a whopping 7.1 megapixels. Since a picture is truly worth a thousand words, here's one of the very first I snapped with it, of the gleaming headlight assembly of a Harley motorcycle parked near a store where I had to do some shopping---

View attachment 324740

More to follow...
Olympus made some nice P&S/Compact cameras in the 2000's.

View attachment 324732

View attachment 324734

View attachment 324740

More to follow...
Nice shot, Miguel!!

I had plans on a ZFC as my backup/scape shooter to the Z6ii but decided to go the opposite way with a A Z7 and 14-30.
There's a size and price penalty but it's a nice gain in resolution and control/layout familiarity. IBIS never hurts.
Actually I'm thinking this strategy may be premature and hasty.
I'm going to run all three for a while then make a decision.

May very well be the one of the few logical decisions I've made.
I guess its never too late to start.

Actually I'm thinking this strategy may be premature and hasty.
I'm going to run all three for a while then make a decision.

May very well be the one of the few logical decisions I've made.
I guess its never too late to start.
Nothing wrong with the Z 7 or the 14-30mm! However, I think you're onto something with wanting to run "all three" (Z 6 II, Z 7 and Z fc, I assume) ...

To put your decisions into perspective: I own a Z 7 II, a Z 6, a Z 50 and a Z fc. All of them have different use cases:
  • The Z 7 II could certainly do it all, but I really don't need 45MP files all of the time - it's a landscape and people photographer's dream, though, especially when paired with the 24-70mm f/2.8 or any of the wonderful Z primes; I own the Z 20mm S, Z 35mm S, Z 50mm S (both), Z 85 S and Z 105mm S Micro.
  • The Z 6 remains my most natural pick (see below, though), with either the Z 40mm, Z 35mm S or Z 24-120mm S - the camera excels at event photography and as a general purpose body, but I also especially love to travel with it (the Z 40mm and Z 24-200mm make a fun compact travel kit).
  • The Z 50 is the camera I use with APS-C zooms as well as longer, optically stabilised zooms, usually via the FTZ adapter - though at the moment, the Z 18-140mm DX lives on it because that combo punches *way* above its weight (the Z 6 with Z 24-200mm *is* better, but not significantly for day-to-day photography - and it's 40% heavier).
  • The Z fc is used with primes, sometimes adapted, but since I adore both the Z 28mm SE and the Voigtländer 23mm f/1.2, on of those two usually gets the nod.
On a regular work day, it's the Z fc I carry; if there's a chance of going out and shooting during the day, it's more likely I pick the Z 50 with Z 18-140mm DX. If I'm sure I can do an extended walk, I usually bring the Z 6 along - either with Z 40mm for strolling or with the Z 24-120mm S for exploring, though the latter necessitates the use of a different (usually additional) bag. The Z 7 II deserves dedication, so gets used on extended photo walks ...

As for the Z 14-30mm f/4 S, it's a very pleasing lens - compact and lightweight, and a good performer to boot. I think it's a lens every Z FX shooter should own (and it's a nice pick on the Z DX bodies as well - if you have enough light). Whenever I choose to travel by car, it joins the Z 24-120mm S and Z 35mm S in my enthusiast's travel kit ...

The Z 14-30mm S is also the reason I can keep my interest in the newly announced Laowa 10mm f/4 APS-C lens in check - though that one's a prime, and it's tiny ... I guess we're definitely *almost* back on topic now ... ;)

M.

Not that one should necessarily buy a lens for its looks, but that looks absolutely wonderful on a rangefinder. Everyone who's bought one seems to be very happy with it performance-wise too. Look forward to the images.

Some snaps. only converted to jpeg with c1

2022-Varia_2022-07-21_16-18-54_0001%201-X2.jpg

2022-Varia_2022-07-21_16-20-33_0003%201-X2.jpg

2022-Varia_2022-07-21_16-22-48_0006%201-X2.jpg

2022-Varia_2022-07-21_16-24-19_0008%201-X2.jpg

Oh, well ... I went back and forth about this several times over the last couple of days; I have the FoV covered, but not in that enticing form factor, so ... I just ordered the Laowa Cookie. Should be fun.

M.

Can't wait to see your impressions of it.
I can't decide which intrigues me more - either the lens itself (and its possibilities) - or the cute name Laowa has given to it ;)
It's also on my personal short list of possible lenses to add to my (intentionally limited) X-Pro3 arsenal.

I was at 9 lenses, however today I am at 10. I got a like new used 35-100mm f2.8 version 1 for $370. I have the 35-100 f4/5.6 for my Gx85 and have always wanted one to pair with my 12-35 but my use of the range is limited and well fulfilled by the f4/5.6 version. However great lens at a fantastic price and it means that in October when get my Gh6 I am going for the 10-25 1.7 now. I think I am done as that will give me the 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-400 Pany lenses for use with the G9's and the almost there Gh6. My other lenses are for the Gx85 except for the Oly 60mm which is one of the best macro lenses I have ever used, and it sees use on all of my cameras. I've found that with On1's AI noise reduce and now resize the Pany lenses really are very, very good on Pany bodies.

Tangentially related to photography, and I don't have it in hand quite yet, but I saw the special offers Google has right now for their Pixel 6a and couldn't resist: they are offering me $300 trade-in value for my aging Pixel 3a XL (which, incidentally, I bought as a refurb after a broken screen: $135 out the door), plus a free pair of Pixel Buds (reg $99). All that for a $449 phone! They must really want people upgrading to this model. It was almost time for an upgrade as well, the 3a has started feeling a bit sluggish.

The 6a still has the same 12mp sensor from the Pixel 3 onwards, but that's no bad thing, this is the camera sensor that, together with Pixel's computational chops, has been impressing people with its IQ for a long time. Especially with computational photography, there's a lot to be said for a tried-and-true pairing of sensor and processor. And this will be the first phone I've ever owned with more than one lens (there's a second 12mp ultrawide on the back). Of course, photo quality with my phone isn't top of mind. I have a GR for that. But it's nice to have. The Pixel 'a' subseries have been a great fit for my use: I won't pay extra for a nice phone camera, but the midrange price and midrange specs together with a very decent camera have made me happy so far.

Back