GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Ehrm...

OM-5 front.jpgEP-L8.jpg

Got these two inbound, as shown.

Layout of about €280ish.

Lenses will be sold off, as redundant, so should be about €30-40 bucks out of pocket when all is said and done. OG Oly OM-5 and a EPL-8 from two different sellers.

The OM5 I have some "use" for combined with the 12-50 lens I already have as a weatherproofed mucking about and checking of form factor, the EPL-8 is more greed than anything else, it was a good deal at €130, and gives very cheap access to horse around with the OM-1MkII sensor and engine, if I am not much mistaken in my research.

Last edited:
Ehrm...

View attachment 338971View attachment 338973

Got these two inbound, as shown.

Layout of about €280ish.

Lenses will be sold of, as redundant, so should be about €30-40 bucks out of pocket when all is said and done. OG Oly OM-5 and a EPL-8 from two different sellers.

The OM5 I have some "use" for combined with the 12-50 lens I already have as a weatherproofed mucking about and checking of form factor, the EPL-8 is more greed than anything else, it was a good deal at €130, and gives very cheap access to horse around with the OM-1MkII sensor and engine, if I am not much mistaken in my research.

The E-pl8 does not have the EM-1 MkII sensor, if I remember correctly.
For one, It's 16 Mpixels, not 20.

Let me know what you think of the E-PL8 shutter sound. It really slaps!

Well, my purchase of a new VF-4 for my E-PM2 fell through, as Olympus Oz advise no longer made and out of stock.

So I ordered a second hand one from Amazon US yesterday for about AUD $100 less than the new one would have cost me. AUD$ 300 all up. Seller states "Very good condition", so I shall see. Delivery by Amazon expected around 12 Oct 22.

I quickly sold the Samsung NX2000. Too much like using a phone and a bit awkward. To change modes required a physical button press then 2 taps on the screen. And the i-Fn button on the lens was another irritant. Oh well, I didn't lose any money on it.
I invested the proceeds in an Olympus 30mm f3.5 macro lens. With mushroom season just starting it should be very useful.

The E-pl8 does not have the EM-1 MkII sensor, if I remember correctly.
For one, It's 16 Mpixels, not 20.

Let me know what you think of the E-PL8 shutter sound. It really slaps!
Then I am mistaken in my research.
Not a fan of shutter slaps, either. Will see when it gets here.

Just treated myself to a book by Sandy Carson, the Scottish photographer who moved to the U.S. a few decades ago, and is now based in Austin, Texas. "I've Always Been A Cowboy" documents his travels around some of the more eclectic corners of his adopted new country of residence. It's basically a photographer's take on a weird road trip.

EP5_Oct30_22_Sandy_Carson_book#1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The photos look intriguing...

EP5_Oct30_22_Sandy_Carson_book#2.jpg

And many of them are accompanied by postcards, written by him, during the trip.

EP5_Oct30_22_Sandy_Carson_book#3.jpg

The adjective 'eclectic' immediately comes to mind. And someone, I forget who, once opined that photographers are always outsiders, peering from behind the semi-safe (though not always) vantage point of their lens... at a mysterious, strange world. I think Mr. Carson may partially subscribe to that philosophy.

Last edited:
Some things work out well, others not so much. Including my recently acquired and surprisingly good (given its dirt-cheap price) manual-focus Chinese TTArtisan 35mm lens, for my XT3. After using it for awhile, I came to my senses and remembered that I really like autofocusing lenses. So the TTArtisan has been sold and recycled, and replaced by a lens that I am already enjoying immensely more, though I've only had it for a week or two: one of the small 'Fujicrons', the Fujinon XF 35mm f/2. It's the right size for the camera I'm using it on--

EP5_Oct30_22_XF35_on_XT3#1.jpg

My particular copy is the newer WR iteration of the lens, which now turns the camera + lens into a weather-resistant package. AF is fast and silent, possibly even faster than my former favorite Fuji lens, the XF35mm f/1.4, which I used on my old X-Pro.

EP5_Oct30_22_XF35_on_XT3#2.jpg

Of course, the real test of the lens is going to be what kind of pictures it takes, or, rather, what kind of pictures it allows me to take. Here is one of the first samples, and it's making me guardedly optimistic.

XT3_Sept29_22_chair_by_the_road.jpg

Last edited:
Some things work out well, others not so much. Including my recently acquired and surprisingly good (given its dirt-cheap price) manual-focus Chinese designed and made TTArtisan 35mm lens, for my XT3. After using it for awhile, I came to my senses and remembered that I really like autofocusing lenses. So the TTArtisan has been sold and recycled, and replaced by a lens that I am already enjoying immensely more, though I've only had it for a week or two: one of the small 'Fujicrons', the Fujinon XF 35mm f/2. It's the right size for the camera I'm using it on--

View attachment 339376

My particular copy is the newer WR iteration of the lens, which now turns the camera + lens into a weather-resistant package. AF is fast and silent, possibly even faster than my former favorite Fuji lens, the XF35mm f/1.4, which I used on my old X-Pro.

View attachment 339377

Of course, the real test of the lens is going to be what kind of pictures it takes, or, rather, what kind of pictures it allows me to take. Here is one of the first samples, and it's making me guardedly optimistic.

View attachment 339378
I had this lens when I had the X-T3, too. It was the first lens I bought for the system, and I liked it a bunch. Primes seem to be in the Fuji’s wheelhouse, especially if you prefer to have a marked aperture ring.

Some things work out well, others not so much. Including my recently acquired and surprisingly good (given its dirt-cheap price) manual-focus Chinese TTArtisan 35mm lens, for my XT3. After using it for awhile, I came to my senses and remembered that I really like autofocusing lenses. So the TTArtisan has been sold and recycled, and replaced by a lens that I am already enjoying immensely more, though I've only had it for a week or two: one of the small 'Fujicrons', the Fujinon XF 35mm f/2. It's the right size for the camera I'm using it on--

View attachment 339376

View attachment 339377

View attachment 339378
There's some excellent 3D pop, as they say, in that image!

There's some excellent 3D pop, as they say, in that image!

I'm glad you said that, Andrew. I sort of thought the same thing but wasn't totally sure. My former Fuji 35mm lens - the f/1.4 which I used with the XPro3 - definitely had a special 'pop' to it, or quality, in spades; in fact, it was (and still is) semi legendary among Fujiholics for being a lens which rendered in special ways. The f/2 version which I have now is a totally different beast - smaller and a slower aperture, though faster focusing and, in my case, WR as well - and it has its fans as well, but doesn't get spoken about in the same hushed tones as its f/1.4 sibling. Interestingly, one of my motivations in picking this one up - apart from its smaller size and quicker AF - was because both it and the faster f/1.4 came highly recommended by one of my favorite contemporary Fuji photographers, Charlene Winfred. She's talked articulately about both lenses, and how much she has relied upon - and loved - both of them.

I'm glad you said that, Andrew. I sort of thought the same thing but wasn't totally sure. My former Fuji 35mm lens - the f/1.4 which I used with the XPro3 - definitely had a special 'pop' to it, or quality, in spades; in fact, it was (and still is) semi legendary among Fujiholics for being a lens which rendered in special ways. The f/2 version which I have now is a totally different beast - smaller and a slower aperture, though faster focusing and, in my case, WR as well - and it has its fans as well, but doesn't get spoken about in the same hushed tones as its f/1.4 sibling. Interestingly, one of my motivations in picking this one up - apart from its smaller size and quicker AF - was because both it and the faster f/1.4 came highly recommended by one of my favorite contemporary Fuji photographers, Charlene Winfred. She's talked articulately about both lenses, and how much she has relied upon - and loved - both of them.
If I didn't like telephoto so much, I'd probably have stuck with the X-T3. I really liked the 35mm f2 and the 10-24 f4. I found the 55-200 and the 70-300 to be a little disappointing, and I didn't want to venture into honking big glass like the 100-400. Anyway, I'm just a sucker for the 50mm ffeq focal length. I'm really comfortable with it, and it's great for candid work. For what it's worth, I think the 35mm f2 is right about there with the PL25 1.4. I compared them a fair amount, and I think you get similar DOF wide open on each thanks to the format differences.

If I didn't like telephoto so much, I'd probably have stuck with the X-T3. I really liked the 35mm f2 and the 10-24 f4. I found the 55-200 and the 70-300 to be a little disappointing, and I didn't want to venture into honking big glass like the 100-400. Anyway, I'm just a sucker for the 50mm ffeq focal length. I'm really comfortable with it, and it's great for candid work. For what it's worth, I think the 35mm f2 is right about there with the PL25 1.4. I compared them a fair amount, and I think you get similar DOF wide open on each thanks to the format differences.
Interesting! I ended up preferring the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 II over the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 ever so slightly - and for the record, I *loved* that 35mm ... I call the 25mm my "Mini-Summicron" (not Summilux!) for a reason - and I own the "real thing" as well.

I've never owned the 35mm f/2, but I can say that the 23mm f/2 was a very endearing lens as well. I consider the X100V's lens to be even better though, or at least more usable - it allows for super-close shooting with little penalty, whereas the 23mm lost all control at close quarters.

Anyway, back to business: In spite of the fact that it has some weaknesses in an absolute sense, the 25mm f/1.4 II balances performance and rendering in a very satisfying way, and I think the 35mm f/2 does the same. Both are a tad less "artsy" than the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4, but way more practical.

M.

Just treated myself to a book by Sandy Carson, the Scottish photographer who moved to the U.S. a few decades ago, and is now based in Austin, Texas. "I've Always Been A Cowboy" documents his travels around some of the more eclectic corners of his adopted new country of residence. It's basically a photographer's take on a weird road trip.

View attachment 339372

The photos look intriguing...

View attachment 339373

And many of them are accompanied by postcards, written by him, during the trip.

View attachment 339374

The adjective 'eclectic' immediately comes to mind. And someone, I forget who, once opined that photographers are always outsiders, peering from behind the semi-safe (though not always) vantage point of their lens... at a mysterious, strange world. I think Mr. Carson may partially subscribe to that philosophy.
Made me curious - now I quite envy you:

Have lots of intelligent, quirky and whimsical fun!

M.

Primes seem to be in the Fuji’s wheelhouse, especially if you prefer to have a marked aperture ring.
I most definitely prefer marked aperture rings. Though, to be fair, the truly inexpensive (but well built) TTArtisan 35mm also had a very clearly marked aperture ring which clicked nicely.
I'm just a sucker for the 50mm ffeq focal length. I'm really comfortable with it, and it's great for candid work.
I used and loved 50mm lenses for many years back in the analog days with my Pentaxes. (Or course, Pentax made some truly exceptional ones as well, which helped.) But I more or less fell out of the habit of shooting that FOV with digital cameras, until the f/1.4 version of the XF35 that accompanied my former XPro rekindled my appreciation. So much so that I was afraid the f/2 version I now have wouldn't, or maybe couldn't, measure up to its predecessor. Now (thankfully) I'm discovering the little 'Fujicron' is definitely as good as its faster sibling (if not better).
Interesting! I ended up preferring the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 II over the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 ever so slightly - and for the record, I *loved* that 35mm ... I call the 25mm my "Mini-Summicron" (not Summilux!) for a reason - and I own the "real thing" as well.

I've never owned the 35mm f/2, but I can say that the 23mm f/2 was a very endearing lens as well. I consider the X100V's lens to be even better though, or at least more usable - it allows for super-close shooting with little penalty, whereas the 23mm lost all control at close quarters.

Anyway, back to business: In spite of the fact that it has some weaknesses in an absolute sense, the 25mm f/1.4 II balances performance and rendering in a very satisfying way, and I think the 35mm f/2 does the same. Both are a tad less "artsy" than the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4, but way more practical.

M.
I once borrowed a friend's PL 25mm (the f/1.4 1st generation) to try it out, and liked it quite a bit, but at the time, I didn't find it as satisfying as my then-favorite M43 lens, the little Lumix 20mm. Arguably the PL25 did many things better, but for no rational reason, I preferred the 20mm. It was my favorite MFT glass until the PL15 dethroned it. Although, come to think of it, I have a penchant for using slightly wider angles as a 'normal' lens. When I got my first Fuji XF35 (the faster, bigger one) at first it almost felt like a portrait lens... which was weird. But using it more changed my mind. So far, at least, the smaller 'Fujicron' f/2 35mm lens is "measuring up nicely", and then some.

One or two smart Fuji photographers, who have used both iterations of the 35mm lens, have theorized that part of the 'special rendering' which both lenses seem to share - comes from their tendency to flare, in weird ways, under certain lighting conditions. Apparently the most recent member of the family, the 33mm f/1.4 improves on the performance of its 35mm predecessor in many ways - including flare reduction - quicker AF - and a tendency towards sharpness which, for some, verges too close to 'clinical'. I suspect that neither my little 35mm Fujicron nor your 25mm Mini-Summicron will be or have been accused of that curious sin, of too much sharpness. And maybe a bit of flare = visual character :)

Last edited:

View attachment 339376

View attachment 339377

View attachment 339378
Excellent choice, Miguel. The Fujicrons are an awesome set of lenses. And, all of the Fujicrons are on the recently released list of lenses capable of resolving the 40mp sensors.

Excellent choice, Miguel. The Fujicrons are an awesome set of lenses. And, all of the Fujicrons are on the recently released list of lenses capable of resolving the 40mp sensors.
Bobby, since you seem to know where to find this: Can I get a link? I'd love to know if they think the lens of the X100V can do it, too ... Give such a camera (the VI?) the new sensor and I.B.I.S. (and maybe full sealing out of or at least *in* the box), and it's unstoppable. The *as is* has grown on me *a lot* since I got it ...

M.

Bobby, since you seem to know where to find this: Can I get a link? I'd love to know if they think the lens of the X100V can do it, too ... Give such a camera (the VI?) the new sensor and I.B.I.S. (and maybe full sealing out of or at least *in* the box), and it's unstoppable. The *as is* has grown on me *a lot* since I got it ...

M.
I read it in this article. Unfortunately there is no mention of the x100 line. But it is an easy conclusion to draw, that either the current lens in the x100V will resolve the 40mp sensor. Or the next x100 will get a new lens.

M.
Oh, the PL25 has a specialness all of its own, for sure. It produces some great results for sure. And the 1.4 really helps on low light. I think you end up with a nicely forgiving and well-rendered lens. The XF35 f2 just seems to follow that same trend.

Back