GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

Didn't buy anything today, but I want to recognize Mapcamera as a great eBay seller. They ship insanely fast, where stuff made it to me in 3-4 days, and I'm on the opposite side of the northern hemisphere from Tokyo. They were also really good with the return on the G9, which had the rubber-coming-off-the-card-hatch issue developing. They also offer detailed product photos, which is great for used gear.

Yup. MAP camera is awesome. I’ve bought a couple items from them over the years. It appears elsewhere in this forum however, that MPB may not be very trustworthy however. I certainly won’t buy from them based on what I read.
I’ve had decent success with MPB, and they do returns pretty well too. They usually offer the best prices when you sell something, though KEH can occasionally edge them out. Usedphotopro is also a really good seller. They tend to be conservative on their used gear ratings.

I’ve had decent success with MPB, and they do returns pretty well too. They usually offer the best prices when you sell something, though KEH can occasionally edge them out. Usedphotopro is also a really good seller. They tend to be conservative on their used gear ratings.
Not sure if you read this short thread here -Nikon - Nikon Df Viewfinder Focusing Conundrum

But they do returns so well, that they’ll just resell a returned item, even if it’s defective!

So I have allowed myself exactly 3 photo related purchases this year, and I know what all 3 are. One of which arrived today. I finally have a wildlife lens back in my arsenal, and it’s the one I really wanted. I’ll be out with it tomorrow….hopefully I’ll at least stumble upon a bird. But for now, it passes the Nacho test.

RF 100-500mm
CF1873F3-4A69-4F0F-9E88-FF1F47841F4B.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E7295C5D-4248-4199-92ED-360DF17E6DB4.jpeg

It’s ridiculously sharp. I’ve used this lens before when I borrowed one from a friend that works at Canon, but it still doesn’t cease to amaze.
40F6A71A-803F-466F-BBE5-2BEF153D4E87.jpeg

17BCC0A8-98E6-4C03-9EC9-F90234AFC0D2.jpeg

Not sure if you read this short thread here -Nikon - Nikon Df Viewfinder Focusing Conundrum

But they do returns so well, that they’ll just resell a returned item, even if it’s defective!
Yeah, I'd suspect that they see such high volume that they probably don't check things over that much when an item comes back. They might even just assume that it was a "didn't like it" return and put it back on the shelf in the same condition as before.

I've heard some similar return nightmares--Amazon is a big one, where returned items just go back in the channel as a new item. I bought a "new" card reader base for a Mac mini directly from Amazon once, and the box wasn't sealed and was missing the USB-C cable. I also bought a grip from them where the box clearly looked man-handled and taped shut again, but the goods checked out so I didn't bother bringing it up. A cursory glance online suggests that it's not at all uncommon to buy something new from Amazon and the merchandise has been handled before.

Yeah, I'd suspect that they see such high volume that they probably don't check things over that much when an item comes back. They might even just assume that it was a "didn't like it" return and put it back on the shelf in the same condition as before.
Fair, but that unfortunately renders their rating scale essentially useless if they call an item like new, and it doesn’t work. Not only doesn’t it work, it’s been returned by two buyers for the same exact reason. Hopefully it’s not on a shelf now waiting a third poor sucker.

Fair, but that unfortunately renders their rating scale essentially useless if they call an item like new, and it doesn’t work. Not only doesn’t it work, it’s been returned by two buyers for the same exact reason. Hopefully it’s not on a shelf now waiting a third poor sucker.
Yeah, it certainly seems like not doing their due diligence on reevaluating their returns. Maybe they don't do much of an evaluation in the first place? I've only bought lenses from them, so I've not chanced it on something more mechanically advanced. Down side is, someone probably knew their camera was acting up, and sent it in hoping it would get past QA. It appears so. :(

Test roll shows some capping and slow shutter speeds. At the price a CLA is not really a problem so I've an email into DAG.

Ouch. DAG is saying a full overhaul is what's needed and he's way behind on top of it. 350 is way more than I'm wanting to spend on a Canon 7 :( Looks like talking to the shop about a return is in order for tomorrow.

Today I received my 3rd of my personal trinity:
20230121_133017.jpg

Tamron 70-180mm f 2.8 Di III VXD, used for 970 £ in excellent condition.
Bought it to use for portraits from 100 to 180mm of fast action running dogs and headshots. I was thinking of waiting for the sequalt from reasonable deduction that the 28-75mm f 2.8 got it's G2 successor about 3 years from launch date (the 70-180mm f 2.8 was launched in 14th May 2020). But I decided no just get the first gen and se what the next model will bring.

Going to go out in a few minutes and give it a "spin", will try to post some of the pictures later tonight.

Other things I have added is a 2nd Sony NP-FZ100 and got into the Lee Sev5n filter system with the holder (but I didn't get the lens filter adapter) with the Little Stopper and the Big Stopper to do long exposure. I want to start doing more and better landscape photography this year.

Well I've done my bit to help the UK economy this month.

I've wanted a wide angle lens for a while now so I got the Olympus 8-25 pro, I'm very happy with it but my filter holder is in the frame at 8mm so I have to make do with 9mm if I'm using filters.

I also treated myself to a new Smallrig carbon fibre tripod as my old tripod is a bit of a beast weighing in at nearly 2.5 kilos.

Ouch. DAG is saying a full overhaul is what's needed and he's way behind on top of it. 350 is way more than I'm wanting to spend on a Canon 7 :( Looks like talking to the shop about a return is in order for tomorrow.
Returned the Canon 7. They snarked a bit about finding a cheaper repair person but I use this guy for everything. They were good about it once they looked at the test roll though. So I got my money back and invested a small part of it in a bottle of Famous Grouse to drown my sorrows a bit ;)

So I have allowed myself exactly 3 photo related purchases this year, and I know what all 3 are. One of which arrived today. I finally have a wildlife lens back in my arsenal, and it’s the one I really wanted. I’ll be out with it tomorrow….hopefully I’ll at least stumble upon a bird. But for now, it passes the Nacho test.

RF 100-500mm
View attachment 359688
View attachment 359689
It’s ridiculously sharp. I’ve used this lens before when I borrowed one from a friend that works at Canon, but it still doesn’t cease to amaze.
View attachment 359690
View attachment 359691
Of course there wasn’t really any wildlife to speak of today on my 5 miles snowshoe hike. The last couple times I was out I ran into deer that damn near let me pet them, and then I was armed with a manual lens on one occasion, and a 20 year old DSLR on the other. But today I was limited to a few trumpeter swans flying against a plain white/gray sky about 1/4 mile away or more. However, it tracked them impeccably, and I’m quite excited for what this combo is capable of. BIF is literally the reason I bought this camera, and I haven’t had a lens to test it out with until now. Hopes are high!

Last edited:
Back