GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Acquisitions Big and Small

T
I do have some feelers out on an entire "job" lot, with a K20D, four decent lenses, the Pentax 16-45 f:4 and Sigmas 10-20, 17-70mm f:1:2.8-4.5 macro, the 70-300mm f:5.6 tele and a Crumpler bag fitting the entire set plus battery and charger. Asking price €200.

I didnt even bother trying to haggle, now I just wait. Keen on the 16-45 and the 10-20, the rest is somewhat just an added bonus.
Hats some serious set, most of what you would need. And the Crumpler bag is a treat, I am never letting go of mines, never.

T

Hats some serious set, most of what you would need. And the Crumpler bag is a treat, I am never letting go of mines, never.
Indeed, it is. Perhaps the bit that excites me most is the bag, I have a Crumpler in the same colour but that one is so humongous that I fail to see that I will use it for anything.

It would be about as pricey just to get the two lenses I am keen on trying there, so the rest is just an added bonus and will most probably be flipped to cover the initial outlay.

On the other hand, there is an ad for a K20D with battery grip and sundries up for about €55 and it has been posted for quite a while, so the camera holds no value in the local market. It was just pure luck that I remembered the one I have put in an offer on, its been inactive for a while and I was just about to pull the trigger on another 10-20 for €90, when I remembered that I had seen it in another ad with some other stuff and bookmarked that one. Not sure I am getting it though, but that is "part of the thrill". :drinks:

After a bit of haggling, I scored this one:

View attachment 389105View attachment 389106

Sans the flash, with charger and two batteries for €120ish all in. 17,5K shutter actuations.

It may or may not come with the pictured 18-55, depending if the seller finds a body cap or not. I would actually prefer it with the body cap over the lens, as I have a couple of the 18-55 non-WRs from earlier, and they hold little to no value over here.

Now, if someone just would post up a reasonably priced K3/K3II, I would be a very happy camper. I think I would actually prefer the K3 over the K3II, as I normally would have more use for a built in flash than a ditto GPS.
Such a popular camera. Many pro Pentaxians still use the K-5. The sport body never grew old and the design language is still used today.

Speaking of the K-5... The background music is just so catchy.

K-5 rain dance/song?:

You are not helping my GAS withdrawal ... Especially for Pentax DSLRs.
(I have a fondness memory of how much I desired the Pentax K-7 more then a decade ago. And I have a temptation for Pentax K-3 II for the GPS for astrophotography)
It also doesn't help if you're in Europe. Used Pentax prices there, in proper channels, of course, can rival those in Japan.

I do have some feelers out on an entire "job" lot, with a K20D, four decent lenses, the Pentax 16-45 f:4 and Sigmas 10-20, 17-70mm f:1:2.8-4.5 macro, the 70-300mm f:5.6 tele and a Crumpler bag fitting the entire set plus battery and charger. Asking price €200.
View attachment 389134
I didnt even bother trying to haggle, now I just wait. Keen on the 16-45 and the 10-20, the rest is somewhat just an added bonus.
Will the genuine M42 to K-Mount adapter/converter come with the kit?

Some accessories on order.

A universal base plate that should fit the K3IIIs so I can more easily transition to tripod on occasion.

A few filters that will fit the Limited lenses (existing DA 21 and those on my list to snag over the next few years).

I have no idea how old my existing lens pens are (since I had my D700 IIRC, yikes), so replacements are on the way.

Going to try a Peak Design Leash with enough connectors for all the things. Will use the existing Black Rapid sling when using the 60-250.

A cheap lens cap and hood for the WG-6, already noticed how easy it is to place my finger on the lens cover glass and it picks up flare easy.

Will the genuine M42 to K-Mount adapter/converter come with the kit?
The deal, which was a long shot, didn't happen, unfortunately.
Going to try a Peak Design Leash with enough connectors for all the things. Will use the existing Black Rapid sling when using the 60-250.

Being a keen user of the Leash and the slide lite, I would have looked at the latter for the K3, if that is what you plan to use it on.

I only use the leash on the system compacts with "kit" weight lenses, I find it unpleasant to use, even with the G9 and kit lenses. 🙂

<snip>

Being a keen user of the Leash and the slide lite, I would have looked at the latter for the K3, if that is what you plan to use it on.

I only use the leash on the system compacts with "kit" weight lenses, I find it unpleasant to use, even with the G9 and kit lenses. 🙂

I'll see how it goes. Might have to go up to the Slide line. The BR sling is great for heavy, especially at airshows, but things tend to bounce around the hip/ waist when out for a walk. I don't like bounce on the chest/ belly either, so who knows what I'll eventually end up with for a strap system.

Since that "big" Pentax deal fell through, I picked up some odd bits instead:

Olympus 400 bundle.jpgOlympus PT-016 bundle.jpgmemcard reader.jpg

By some odd coincident, there was both a Olympus Stylus 400, as well as a Underwater housing for it up in the classifieds, from two different sellers. The 400 comes along with a 256 Mb XD card. Being that the Underwater housing was a whooping tenner and the Stylus three tenners all in, I though it could be a fun combo to test somewhere down the road.

The multicard reader has a slot for XD cards, along with a lot of other stuff. I need such to get going with the Oly E-400 and 410, as well as at least one of the Thoughts I got last year. not to mention the Stylus400.

So a bit of seriously old oddities was what was on the itinerary...

Can you let us know when it arrives? I'm interested in the timescale between purchase and arrival in the UK as I've never bought gear from China.
Well, the first seller showed no sign of shipping the lens after a week, so I cancelled that order and went with a different seller for a few pounds more. They have shipped already so now the clock starts ticking again...

I got a free ticket ... well it's free for anyone and everyone ... for the Weston-Super-Mare Photography Roadshow: Weston-Super-Mare Photographic Roadshow

I have never been to one or any show of any kind, I hope my anxiety can handle it and my interest in photography keep me from having panic attacks.
Ovi, just try to imagine everyone in their underwear. Should keep the panic attacks in check.

I appreciate your problem. My wife occasionally has panic attacks for no apparent reason. They are awful.

Almost every other person in the world is just trying their best to deal with their life. Some have it harder than others, some easier. However, your own problems are just that - your own. As such, you have to deal with them. But always remember, you're not alone. Almost everyone has their own problems that they strive to deal with.

HTH. And have a nice time at the show. Look at all the nice photos, and ignore the crowd as best you can.

I'm not particularly fond of crowds myself. Particularly ones that are angry, or otherwise aroused.

So, stepped into Nikon territory after harvesting the hivemind here and some research of my own, and struck a deal on this thing here:
Nikon D60 16-85.jpgNikon D60 16-85 bakside.jpgNikon D60 16-85 flash og lenshood.jpgNikon D60 16-85 bag.jpg

For about €100. Not sure what sort of flash is is, or if it even working. The fellow stated "untested" in the ad, so I regard it as a write-off until further notice. I sort of do that with the camera as well, the prime mover for getting this was the lens, a 16-85, or iow 24-127,somthing, which incidentally is rather close to the Pana-Leica 12-60 I have for M43 and takes me into familiar territory in regards to reach.

The price of the bundle was slightly less than half the price of the cheapest exemplar of the same lens in other ads, so I am not overly worried about that.

Next step is to source some sort of newer body, either a D300, S version preferably, or a D7100.

There are some of them available that I am somewhat interested in. Everything from a less than 5K actuations D300 with an asking price of 170 (old with the CF card counting heavily against it), to a D7100 with a broken battery door, or one that looks like it might be high-miler with a 18-55 and some sort of 70-300 included, both in the 250-290 range, one could be a deal and the other could probably be haggled down quite based on an estimated 150-180ish repair bill.

No worries, @John King

It is just a little side-project, on par with the Pentax side-gig, as per THIS. :drinks:

It is me, trying to scratch the Nikon D700/Canon D5MkII full frame itch, without the full frame prices, which I find somewhat eyewatering even for gear well into its second decade. The bodies are not to bad, but the decent lenses are, at least for some low level fun and mucking about.

Yet again, the mailman delivers:

Haul of the day 001.jpg

K5 in box, with bodycap, charger, two batteries, one OEM, one non-branded and a manual. 17200 shutter actuations.

LX5, with two OEM batteries, charger and an old Sandisk extreme 16Mb card. 3063 actuations on the shutter. Described as well used, if going over with a very fine comb, it is possible to find a couple of scuff marks. Now, the only LX I lack, of the compact ones is the LX1, so expect a family picture somewhere down the line. Capping it at the LX7.

The LX15 is seemingly an outlier, and somewhat, if not dumbed down, different. I`m not going to source that and the LX100s are big bois...

Last edited:
DSC_3520.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Z 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ arrived today, took it for a spin immediately. Nice and compact; the powerzoom is swift and precise, no problem at all (as I knew it would work, coming from the unassuming, but really quite usable Nikon 1 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ). A great walkaround companion for the Z 50. That said, it's the only body of the DX line that hasn't seen the dedicated firmware upgrade for this lens, so, on the Z 50, I'm missing out on a couple of features. But the lens works great as-is - and it's only a question of time until this little omission will be mended.

M.

Last edited:
Street photography purchase: a monthly subscription with NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen = Dutch Railways), allowing me to travel free outside rush hours. It costs € 55 for elderly people like me :). No-brainer, given that a trip to Amsterdam already costs € 24.72 for me with a reduction subscription. A few trips a month to other cities to do street photography makes it worthwhile.

Well... This particular acquisition probably isn't going to remain with me, based on further inspection once I got out of the store.

PXL_20230527_232630151.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's a IIIf in really good shape, but there were no LTM lenses in the camera store (where, incidentally, I was trading in some things of enough value to acquire this), and I was still figuring out how the camera worked. $229 was their asking price. I had about $30 store credit left after walking out with it.

But I took it over to the Shot on Film store, where I knew they'd have lenses, and I was able to evaluate it a bit better. Sure, the body is in great condition. Leatherette is fantastic. Few to no marks. But:
• the rangefinder is so dim I couldn't even see the action in a dark store. It's super faint even in good light.
• the slow shutter speeds don't work. The shutter just stays open as long as you hold the release down. Working it a lot didn't seem to help.

It's a bummer, as everything else about it seems functional and well taken care of. But, like they say, often the unused shelf queens stop working correctly before the beat up used and abused cameras do. Very different from the digital age. Anyway, I'd almost be tempted to keep it as a scale focus body with a rangefinder in strong light... With no shutter speeds slower than 1/40... But that's silly. I'm seeing good condition ones for only $100-150 more, and it's worth looking for a better one. Only problem is, I can probably only get store credit for the return, and while I can think of plenty of things I could spend it on, the Barnack Leica is kinda what I wanted.

Back