GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

mike3996

Hall of Famer
Apr 2, 2018
Finland
On the GX80 ergos, is it the grip or control/layout? I added a fotodiox grip/plate and it feels pretty good. I think I'm going to add a thumb grip if I can figure out which one. I use back button focus so it may block it. 50/50 on that.
It's such a small body that with larger lenses it becomes a hassle. Maybe an extra grip would help. The buttons back are nice but flushed with the body. It currently prevents me from going BBF. Planting a small ball of sugru on the AF-ON would work wonders I believe.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
I thought they just added sealing and changed the exterior?
No, according to the few online review I found, the optics have been optimised, overall sharpness is better, especially in the corners.

But I found out that prices around here are sky-high. I have a lens I really like in that range and speed (the Sigma 30mm f/1.4); I'll forgo the 25mm f/1.4 II for the time being.

I've said it before, I'm sure, but anyway: The ultimate companion lens for the E-M5 III is the 12-45mm f/4 PRO. Great lens in every respect (maybe except for manual focus, but I don't feel the need for that on Olympus bodies at all frequently; besides, it's still good). The combo outdoes the Canon G1X III I was using as a compact all-weather solution up until now by a comfortable margin. Yes, I can slip the Canon into a pocket, so it's still useful. But now I'd pick the E-M5 III for actually bad-weather shooting (or the Z6 - but that's 60% heavier and doesn't offer the same reach; IQ on the 12-45mm is pretty competitive compared with the Z 24-70mm f/4, but of course, it's not quite as versatile when it comes to subject isolation).

Anyhow, I find it curious that there still aren't more reviews of the 25mm f/1.4 II - probably a testament to the qualities of the original ...

It's such a small body that with larger lenses it becomes a hassle. Maybe an extra grip would help. The buttons back are nice but flushed with the body. It currently prevents me from going BBF. Planting a small ball of sugru on the AF-ON would work wonders I believe.
I have the extra grip Panasonic provides and am in two mind about it. It helps with really big lenses (the 100-300mm II, for instance), but it changes the way you have to hold the camera. It works, but I find it a bit unnerving that it doesn't *feel* a lot more secure ... Maybe a third party, full length grip would work better. I don't know.

M.

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Jan 27, 2012
Los Angeles
John
I fashioned a small oval of gaffers tape for the button - is easy to find now. Lasted a while so far too.
I've used thumb grips in conjunction with finger grips on the Fuji X-Es and it really feels nice.
I'll likely try and find one that fits.

agentlossing

Top Veteran
The PL25 has been one of my favorites in the past. It makes a look that I really like. I had planned on getting one but found a Sigma 30 1.4 for $120 on CL. It's bigger and longer(which I actually like) and renders a nice looking image as well.

On the GX80 ergos, is it the grip or control/layout? I added a fotodiox grip/plate and it feels pretty good. I think I'm going to add a thumb grip if I can figure out which one. I use back button focus so it may block it. 50/50 on that.
Most any thumb grip will work on the GX85/80 unless it specifically drops downward toward the end. I had one of the less practical ones, as it wasn't very long, but it was still better than nothing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom