GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

Sony has the screwdriver adapter for the older Sony/Minolta lenses but it was based on limited apsc af and was only OK. They want you to buy the new glass...

I tried a SL2 for a week. It works with M mount, but af was very bad with the adapted Canon EF lenses due to Panasonic dfd af... IBIS performance is close to m43, better than Sony... New Canon cameras looks like market leaders with IBIS/caf (even with older EF lenses), but then the m lenses may not be the best based on Canon R that shows color degradation/softness at the edges with m lenses... At least I don't have any Nikon lenses to figure that side:)
I considered Panasonic (also L mount), Sony and Canon - neither ticks all my boxes: Panasonic - too big; Sony - no way of liking their handling over the Z6 or Z7, regardless of all other merits ... though the new Canon bodies come extremely close to what I'd like to have. But the Z6 is such a fine camera that neither of the other offerings (maybe except the Sony A7R IV) appeals enough for me to seriously consider it. The SL2 with Leica L glass, however, would probably be the end-all, but unfortunately not the do-all camera for me, so it's just not really an option. If a small, conveniently simple L mount camera should hit the market (Panasonic and Leica would both be capable of pulling that off), things might change. But I can't see myself with an SL2 and a CL - the latter is nice, but too frugal (in fact, I prefer my X-E3 over the CL ...).

No, I think it's Z mount all the way for me - if Nikon can stick to its roadmap as far as lenses go. I can wait for a year or two. But I want to rationalise further, that's for sure - so I need small primes for the Z mount, or else I have to hang on to my Sony A7 II. In fact, the Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C for Z mount would actually fix this before Nikon might, but who knows when Sigma will actually deliver that ... To be honest, at the moment, it's that lens in particular which ensures the A7 II's spot in my collection (I tried the TechartPro TZE-1 adapter - it does weird things with the 45mm, so that solution's out).

Only if and when those small primes are available, I can seriously think of getting out of APS-C as well again ... I've tried before, but I came back after less than a year because in terms of convenience, FF just isn't there yet (except for the Sony ecosystem - but as I hinted at above, that's just not going to be home for me ...).

M.

FP is great but no evf/mech shutter. Sigma is supposedly working on the small lenses for mirrorless but we'll see if Pana/Sigma will bring a small camera with evf/mech shutter. Sl2 is not the most ergonomic camera either... My nose was activating the left top button near lcd while I was looking at the evf... CL2 might be a winner if they add the IBIS esp Sigma released their apsc L lenses...

New Tamron/Samyang lenses are small and great performers for Sony. They are cheaper than camera manufacturer lenses... I don't know which mount they will follow next, but I see Samyang already released 85mm for Canon R mount.

I considered Panasonic (also L mount), Sony and Canon - neither ticks all my boxes: Panasonic - too big; Sony - no way of liking their handling over the Z6 or Z7, regardless of all other merits ... though the new Canon bodies come extremely close to what I'd like to have. But the Z6 is such a fine camera that neither of the other offerings (maybe except the Sony A7R IV) appeals enough for me to seriously consider it. The SL2 with Leica L glass, however, would probably be the end-all, but unfortunately not the do-all camera for me, so it's just not really an option. If a small, conveniently simple L mount camera should hit the market (Panasonic and Leica would both be capable of pulling that off), things might change. But I can't see myself with an SL2 and a CL - the latter is nice, but too frugal (in fact, I prefer my X-E3 over the CL ...).

No, I think it's Z mount all the way for me - if Nikon can stick to its roadmap as far as lenses go. I can wait for a year or two. But I want to rationalise further, that's for sure - so I need small primes for the Z mount, or else I have to hang on to my Sony A7 II. In fact, the Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C for Z mount would actually fix this before Nikon might, but who knows when Sigma will actually deliver that ... To be honest, at the moment, it's that lens in particular which ensures the A7 II's spot in my collection (I tried the TechartPro TZE-1 adapter - it does weird things with the 45mm, so that solution's out).

Only if and when those small primes are available, I can seriously think of getting out of APS-C as well again ... I've tried before, but I came back after less than a year because in terms of convenience, FF just isn't there yet (except for the Sony ecosystem - but as I hinted at above, that's just not going to be home for me ...).

M.

FP is great but no evf/mech shutter. Sigma is supposedly working on the small lenses for mirrorless but we'll see if Pana/Sigma will bring a small camera with evf/mech shutter. Sl2 is not the most ergonomic camera either... My nose was activating the left top button near lcd while I was looking at the evf... CL2 might be a winner if they add the IBIS esp Sigma released their apsc L lenses...

New Tamron/Samyang lenses are small and great performers for Sony. They are cheaper than camera manufacturer lenses... I don't know which mount they will follow next, but I see Samyang already released 85mm for Canon R mount.
I own the two Samyang pancakes for Sony FE - for the price, they're great value ... but they're nowhere near as pleasing as the Sigma 45mm f/2.8 C to use, or in terms of the results ... In short, they look great on paper, are OK in use, but no game-changers, not by a long shot. The Sigma - is. It's a modest lens on paper, but fantastic in every important way once you have it on your camera. It's not the best lens their is - but one of the most useful und enjoyable ones I know, at least as far as modern AF lenses go.

I think I can follow you regarding the SL2 ... the camera may be too big for me anyway, in spite of its much improved handling. As for the details, I have to configure the heck out of everything to tame all the new-fangled gizmos anyway - after all ... As for a CL2 with I.B.I.S. (and better AF), yes, that would be awesome. No surefire solution for me - but awesome ;)

M.

I know, but I wasn't talking about the Z5. There's also a Z7s rumored that may take an already strong proposition the decisive step further. I'm not at all convinced I'd buy such a camera, but I've settled on the Z mount for all serious shooting (which I have to remind myself often - the market is full to the brim with interesting stuff). A Z7 that actually outdid the Z6 in terms of operation speed and offered some slight, but helpful improvements over the original might just push me over that edge ... Don't get me wrong, I'm very impressed by the Z6, and it's a pleasure to shoot with (for the most part - I'd like some more customisability), and I'm longing for certain lenses a lot more than I want another Z camera; but I already *almost* bought the Z7 - a next iteration may be my kind of high megapixel camera, I want effortless speed and reliability in that class before I leave 24MP ... The only other camera on the market that's ticking all important boxes at the moment is the Leica SL2 - but that'd mean totally committing to the L mount, and they don't have any smaller cameras I can see myself owning (no, the fp doesn't qualify - it lacks almost everything I want in a FF body). I guess I'll turn into a serious Nikonian again once the Z system is fully established ... Oh, and *then* I might actually sell the Z6 for a Z5 or the like; I like my second bodies to be as small and simple as possible. But maybe they'll give us a Z series camera with the D6's sensor ... that'd be awesome as well.

Here's the weird thing: I'm - at the moment - running two "main" bodies for my "serious" system, the D750 (still a wonderful DSLR) and the Z6. The Z6 is *almost* a better D750, but the D750 reliably delivers wonderful images from *all* my F mount lenses (including the old screwdriver ones), something the Z6 isn't as good at - though it's slightly better for using purely mechanical/manual stuff. Furthermore, the D750 works better with bigger lenses (I also have the additional battery grip for it). The next Z generation should allow for a functional grip (not just a grip extension) ...

Funny thing to think, but here goes: Something Nikon should actually consider is a FTZ-like adapter with screwdriver motor built in ... slightly chunkier than the current one, but with crucial advantages ...

M.
I forgot you already have a Z6. The Z5 appears to be a lot closer to the Z6 than expected. FF with IBIS, supposedly priced near the Canon RP. The wars are escalating. I wonder how much territory will remain over which to fight.

I don't know, I just don't know if Nikon's going to be a go. The whole situation is a bit uncertain right now. Then I also started to (again) consider if M4/3 with Panasonic is the right way. It makes sense but now I have a convenient excuse because of the turbulence in that segment.

Looking forward fall and the dark nights again. I just might go deeper into Leica M, complete missing pieces from my lens selection.
  • CV 35 Nokton Classic 1.4 II (600 €) (<- compact)
  • CV 35 Nokton 1.2 III (1100 €) (<- top speed)
  • CV 75 f/1.5 (850 €) (<- speed not necessary but I like how it's not heavy)
  • TTartisan 21/1.5 (450 €) (I just love ultra fast ultra wides; would complement 21/3.5 nicely)
Cosina must be by now perhaps my favorite lens designer shop. They choose the vintage looks over MTF graphs. Even Leica's lens department, led by Karbe, forfeits looks for pixel peeping. 7A/TTArtisan are also pretty nice in this front.

I "mistakenly" bid on a Pentax KP. I will be sweating bullets until someone outbids me...

I’ve been seriously considering the Flashpoint 300 pro to jump back into lit portraits. I have four people, 2 cats, and 15 chickens to photograph in house. And several friends I can work with.

"Honor thy error as a hidden intention"

Yeah... will be interesting if I win. Pentax could very well have answers to those questions I have wrt Nikon Df. And yet, at the same time I think things may be shifting for me, a natural downgrading will maybe occur. In this sense starting a completely new ecosystem on the side of existing ones is not really smart. All remains to be seen.

For any adapted SLR lenses, I believe Nikon's as good as they get.

I'm trying to find an even more perfect camera that would also adapt rangefinder lenses with good edge performance but I think my quest is all for nothing.

And how about that tiny 24-50 f/4-6.3 eh.

I don't know if people at Nikon have taken notes from Pana 12-32 (or the FF Pana L lens 20-50) but this appears to be an interesting street/EDC option.

And how about that tiny 24-50 f/4-6.3 eh.

I don't know if people at Nikon have taken notes from Pana 12-32 (or the FF Pana L lens 20-50) but this appears to be an interesting street/EDC option.

I'm not completely convinced - plastic lens mount, less sealing ... and it's clearly bulkier than the 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3. Not big as such, but not that small, either. Light, though ... It's likely that I'll pass on this - but I'm still interested in seeing its performance. The 24-200mm remains a much more interesting option for the Z6 and Z7 in my view, anyway. By the way, firmware updates are in for those two cameras as well, something I'm looking forward to exploring, because AF updates for the Z system are needed (the flaws are minor overall, but quite annoying at times).

The Z5 - has me scrachting my head a bit. I think it's a good thing that it exists, but it puts the Z6 in a somewhat awkward spot. Just like the D610 did for the D750 at first glance, but the latter turned out to be the much more compelling option in so many ways. However, the Z5 really is very close to the Z6 and the better entry/swap option for sure (dual SD card slots, for one thing - you can reuse your cards). That's a good thing for the Z system as a whole, but somewhat less fortunate for the Z6.

For me, the Z6 still is the better buy, and anyway, it's the best overall camera I own, period. The Z5 won't make be give up the D750 as a second (not secondary!) Nikon body, either. I just compared the Z6 and the D750 side-by-side for the umpteenth time - and findings are always the same: With bigger lenses, the D750 still handles a lot better than the Z6. By extension, the Z5 doesn't change that (nor had I thought it would).

Better to look into the lens options again - that's far more promising at the moment. My sights remain firmly set on the 24-200mm - so much so that I already chose the lenses I'm planning to trade in for it. Four so far ... all zooms ... and there may even be more. But I'm still doing a couple of re-evaluations to determine if I should really go that far ... but it's probably the right thing to do. I'll go into this in more detail once things are moving ...

M.

I'm not completely convinced - plastic lens mount, less sealing ... and it's clearly bulkier than the 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3.

With the crop factor the 16-50 it may become a bit awkward on 24 MP bodies. On the other hand, Z7 and the 16-50 sounds interesting. Ming Thein has been sporting that combo AFAIK.

The 24-200mm remains a much more interesting option for the Z6 and Z7 in my view, anyway.

It's a cool lens. The Olympus 12-100 probably beats it in most optical aspects (especially MFD!) -- the direction FF makers are taking is a good one.

The Z5 - has me scrachting my head a bit. I think it's a good thing that it exists, but it puts the Z6 in a somewhat awkward spot. Just like the D610 did for the D750 at first glance, but the latter turned out to be the much more compelling option in so many ways. However, the Z5 really is very close to the Z6 and the better entry/swap option for sure (dual SD card slots, for one thing - you can reuse your cards). That's a good thing for the Z system as a whole, but somewhat less fortunate for the Z6.

Z5 having some niceties over Z6 is a better option than to artificially cripple it to keep it in its segment. This also spells for the upcoming Z6s and Z7s bodies which will take them again to high spots.

Choosing between a Z5 and a used Z6, that's a tough call for many I'm sure. :)

Overall FF makers suddenly starting to make "trash" (read: not just ultrafast, ultracorrected L/GM/NC) lenses is just a sign that they believe the future is in FF mirrorless.

They believe that beginners and hobbyists will come to them and need affordable consumer lenses.

It's just like the film times soon -- everybody has an equal "sensor size" but those who need the top-shelf quality, invest in glass.

I'm watching to see what Fuji actually releases in the upgraded XF 27. The likes of the Nikon "Z" and Canon EOS "R" cameras don't tempt me at all. The Pen-F and X-E2 complement each other very well for me. I have been considering picking up an Olympus 75/1.8, but haven't seen one yet that meets my "red line" price.

Does it smell of desperation when I'm browsing through Olympus user manuals to find things that would perhaps whet my appetite?

At least I found that in E-M1.2 the terrifying maze that is the CONFIGURATION MENU, it has now numbered pages. And there's a thing called "PreMF" that you can configure so that the lens is focused to that pre-set distance from a push of a button. :)

But this is getting silly. Olympus is dying, Panasonic is probably afraid of placing effort into new m4/3 bodies and I can't afford new Leicas anyhow.

I'm thinking of grabbing a refurb OMD body for my remaining lenses. EM10 ii or EM5 ii. The former is super light and cheaper, the latter has a Mg body and is WR. Still, polycarbonate is not an issue for me, WR is not much good given that none of my lenses are WR, and I never use those fancy software features of the EM5.

Last edited:
Back