GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

serhan

Hall of Famer
Oh... I almost forgot: If money was no object, I'd pick up a Leica Q2 and a Q2 Monochrom. But that's not happening.

So... a near-to-mid-term desire would be a Sony A7c and maybe an RX10 IV.
A used A7C+28-60mm for $1720, but you can't buy it till 6pm opening:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Olympus has this amazing trade in deal right now on the E-M1X. You trade in something, they knock $300 off the $1999 price and whatever they are willing to give you for the body. At worst, this body will cost you $1699. Given that mu43 has some nice long lenses, this is a great price on wildlife camera.

Biro

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Olympus has this amazing trade in deal right now on the E-M1X. You trade in something, they knock $300 off the $1999 price and whatever they are willing to give you for the body. At worst, this body will cost you $1699. Given that mu43 has some nice long lenses, this is a great price on wildlife camera.
It is a great deal. But I just can't see carrying around that camera with the battery grip permanently attached. I'm sure others will see it differently.

Craig C

Veteran
Real Name
Craig
A used A7C+28-60mm for $1720, but you can't buy it till 6pm opening:

Good deal!

The A7c keeps calling my name.... not sure how much longer I can resist...

mike3996

Hall of Famer
The battle of MILC cameras continue.

This evening my mood swings towards Nikon Z6. Ultimately for me a FF MILC camera has to be about adapting foreign lenses on it. And M4/3 meanwhile plays to its biggest strength: compact and nice zooms. So it all might fall down to primes vs zooms argument in the end? I know where my allegiance lies. :confused-95:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
It is a great deal. But I just can't see carrying around that camera with the battery grip permanently attached. I'm sure others will see it differently.
Yeah, it’s the Nikon D3 DSLR-style body. Built for handling and room for the innards. It’s a wildlife body all the way. All 20 mp are packed into a mu43 space with done very respectable tele- and telezooms available. The E-M1 iii is the street body, if you will.

mike3996

Hall of Famer
I guess it all depends on how much having a brand-new camera with manufacturer's warranty is worth to you. The answer is different for everyone. Especially if you already have a PL 12-60, Panny 12-35 or the like.
Warranty and buying new is a beautiful thing but knowing myself, I'll PROBABLY get bored of any given camera faster than what it deteriorates. If I know for sure the camera will be a lifelong companion then buying new is a sure thing. The likes I'm currently considering, no such guarantees can be made.

So the resale value has to be kept in mind. At least if you're a cheapskate like me. G9 used keeps a steady ~700 € value so there's very little loss if buying and selling used. Buying new, there's pretty much a guaranteed loss of 400 €.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Warranty and buying new is a beautiful thing but knowing myself, I'll PROBABLY get bored of any given camera faster than what it deteriorates. If I know for sure the camera will be a lifelong companion then buying new is a sure thing. The likes I'm currently considering, no such guarantees can be made.

So the resale value has to be kept in mind. At least if you're a cheapskate like me. G9 used keeps a steady ~700 € value so there's very little loss if buying and selling used. Buying new, there's pretty much a guaranteed loss of 400 €.
I've thought about the G9 so many times because of its capabilities and the great price. However, it's the same size as the Fuji XH1, which was also a lovely camera but just too big for the way I tend to shoot. By that I mean it's great if you go out for a day of photography, but not as good if you just bring a camera along when you are doing other things. The latter is how I get most my images.

Last edited:

mike3996

Hall of Famer
I considered long and hard about buying Nikon Df brand new as they happened to have stock. In retrospect it was wise not to do that. I'm not at all sure what I want from that camera, how and why align my expectations with its performance, whether DSLR experience is the right fit and so on.

Now Leica M10-R would be a solid decision in that I know it'll do the things I love, to the extent I wouldn't mind paying for a new one. Only we're talking about such absolutely large sums of money this new factor surfaces.🥵

Recent Leicas are so much money that it's practically, financially very rational and sane to try cheaper brands before proceeding with the system I so love.

In a sense, Nikon Z6 and/or Panasonic G9 are part of my bachelor party before marrying the M10R or M11 in a couple of years. ;)

I was also very intrigued by this one when I first saw it, but the extremely high price for an APSC experiment is not something I could ever stomach. If I had the funds, I’d rather get something like a Leica Q.
I had Leica Q and ended up selling it. I just didn’t bond to the focal length of it. The price of this Pixii is on the ‘ugly’ side, though. But still, I just need to figure out how to finance this experiment with selling something from the camera cabinet 🤔

Or forget it 😉

cheeks69

Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Would love to get the Sony FE 20mm f1.8. I have the Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 and although the pic quality is really good it's ugly doesn't have any buttons at least a AF/MF button would be nice, don't like the focus ring, just never really connected with this lens sort of speak. I think it'll go to Ebay soon to fund the Sony.

Latest threads

Top Bottom