GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

I've been thinking about trading in my Leica M10 and the Sony A7RIII for a Leica SL2s. Sent it away for valuation ...... then couldn't part with it :doh: I just looked at the price of a new one and realised that I would probably never afford to buy a new one again ..... soooo currently trying to work on the Hubby so that I can keep the M10 and just trade the Sony for the SL2s instead ...... might take a while!
It's always a good idea to trade one's Sony away.

But...

even as a Leica lover SL2 is pretty big and heavy and I have understood one has to be a pretty hardcore to be using SL cameras as EDC or for most recreational purposes.

Subjective. Certainly if one can’t see or judge the bokeh, then it’s waste of money.
Even if I personally consider (without trying the lens myself) the DC a bit of an underwhelming thing I reckonize the speed of the 135/2 for night time purposes.

The 105/2 has cheaper competition in the range from f/1.8 to f/2.5.

I am moderately interested in this new retro Z mirrorless camera by Nikon. Not that I'm keen to jump aboard another system I haven't used or anything, but it occurred to me that this model, in addition to having direct controls which I rather like (cool it, Fuji, I like IBIS even more), it could have highlight-weighted metering since that's kind of Nikon's bag. If it comes out, has IBIS and highlight-weighted metering I will have to take a hard look at it, and its available lenses. Till then, I'm not going to bother with it. But it looks nice.

I am moderately interested in this new retro Z mirrorless camera by Nikon. Not that I'm keen to jump aboard another system I haven't used or anything, but it occurred to me that this model, in addition to having direct controls which I rather like (cool it, Fuji, I like IBIS even more), it could have highlight-weighted metering since that's kind of Nikon's bag. If it comes out, has IBIS and highlight-weighted metering I will have to take a hard look at it, and its available lenses. Till then, I'm not going to bother with it. But it looks nice.

At least Nikon is leaning toward the Fuji approach to APS-C and not Sony. It looks nice, has all the dials, and at least the IQ of the Z50, which was pretty good. Hopefully they will knock out some lenses specific to Z mount for APS-C. There are certainly some classic Nikon camera bodies to use as models.

Well, most of the dials and a little window for the F-stop. That's an interesting design choice. I think the lenses being engineered with this basic, retro design in mind will be crucial to this body's viability. Putting ugly Nikon mirrorless lenses on it as they now stand sounds like garbage.

Well, most of the dials and a little window for the F-stop. That's an interesting design choice. I think the lenses being engineered with this basic, retro design in mind will be crucial to this body's viability. Putting ugly Nikon mirrorless lenses on it as they now stand sounds like garbage.
From what I have read, the Z50 is a nice camera that Nikon isn’t promoting. Maybe this will get more attention? Oddly they gave this one the flip screen so the vloggers might like this one better.

I had hopes and desires. Dashed. (K3mkIII)

I have hopes and desires. Delayed. (analysis paralysis re the Q2M)

I know rangefinder (and type) viewfinders work better with my eye via the X100/ XE/ XPro series. That danged ole Q2M is still being that earworm that won't stop screeching in my ears.

Or maybe it's just my tinnitus.

:hmmm:

Interesting little camera. Kinda shocked they went with that low of an EVF resolution (2.36mp if I read it correctly), I'd be surprised if a lot of people don't adapt manual focus to that body.

It definitely has the looks and appears to have great usability (i.e. Df or Fuji manual dials). I'm just really surprised they didn't come out with a FF version (maybe in the future - Nikon ZF?). That 28mm 2.8 SE lens and the rumoured 40mm f2 would be PERFECT for a FF camera like this - compact, retro design very similar to the FM2.

Not knocking APSC, as the IQ is similar, it's just that they don't have the lenses to pair with this body, unless there is something more to come (very soon).

I'm guessing it's a price point target and they want to get more people into the Z mount, in hopes of having them upgrade to FF down the road. The issue is, if you are buying for this style body, there is nothing in their FF lineup that replicates that. Again, unless they plan to launch one as well.

Well, I'll definitely get the Z fc and the 28mm SE (not because it "SE", but because it's a small 28mm). Pending the quality and availability of the additional grip, I may even trade in the Z 50, though I doubt it - the Z 50 handles fantastically with big lenses, and I have yet to find any additional grip that gets you the same level of comfort and peace of mind.

Classic styling, slick *and* light, full dial control (to a point - no aperture ring on the lenses; Fujifilm still wins there); articulating screen, "chimp prevention" as well as protection for me, but also more versatile for low-angle shooting, like I enjoy on the E-M5 III; USB-C charging - and it stays fully operational while charging, which opens up opportunities and might turn this camera into an even more desirable travel option than the already impressive Z 50; even a slightly enhanced handling paradigm as well - no more on-screen soft buttons you can bump with your nose (I really don't like those on the Z 50). For me, apart from the styling, this is actually a Z 50 on a reasonable amount of steroids, though minus the seamless ability to use bigger lenses (so it's *not* a camera I would use as the kind of free tele-converter I got with the Z 50).

The 28mm is exactly the right size and has a great minimal focus distance - for me, that lens is a serious no-brainer; I still kind of wish they had released the "normal" version (and the 40mm f/2) at the same time because I would like to have the option to go for that, but I don't mind a bit of bling in this case - it *does* look good with the classic focus ring and metal-like ring, even though both are gimmicks, and I don't think I'll be bothered by that style on the Z 6.

All in all, that's exactly the move Nikon needed; besides, as has already been speculated, the fact that this is called "fc" opens up the option of an "f" in the future that might only be slightly bigger, but that again opens up more opportunities for more features (think about a body like this with I.B.I.S. ... - it should be doable, considering what Fuji and Sony have done recently).

I'm happy with what we get at this time - including pricing :2thumbs:

M.

Last edited:
That Zf looks so much like an Olympus.

The aperture window is great -- you'll get all the settings by glancing the camera.

I read about the release and see early impressions on DPR but still can't believe Nikon went for it for realsies.

The 28mm price is surprising to me. Even with the plastic mount. Min. focus is nice and if it’s close the other Z mount lenses in output this could easily be a favorite..

..and the future 40.

Interesting little camera. Kinda shocked they went with that low of an EVF resolution (2.36mp if I read it correctly), I'd be surprised if a lot of people don't adapt manual focus to that body.
Just my observation, but it seems like the camera industry is pretty wedded to the 2.36 dot EVF. It's used in a lot of lower end cameras and well as nicer ones (the Sony 7C).

It definitely has the looks and appears to have great usability (i.e. Df or Fuji manual dials). I'm just really surprised they didn't come out with a FF version (maybe in the future - Nikon ZF?). That 28mm 2.8 SE lens and the rumoured 40mm f2 would be PERFECT for a FF camera like this - compact, retro design very similar to the FM2.

Not knocking APSC, as the IQ is similar, it's just that they don't have the lenses to pair with this body, unless there is something more to come (very soon).

I'm guessing it's a price point target and they want to get more people into the Z mount, in hopes of having them upgrade to FF down the road. The issue is, if you are buying for this style body, there is nothing in their FF lineup that replicates that. Again, unless they plan to launch one as well.
I guess the Df is technically the FF equivalent. Nikon could just upgrade the sensor and processor in the Df.

I am definitely impressed with Nikon's Z fc. In fact, I like the Z6 II as well. But I could see picking up a Z fc once the prices come down a bit and pairing it with the 28mm f/2.8 and nothing else. 42mm is a great focal length.

Nikon seems to be doing a nice job with the Z system - even if a slow and cautious job.

And speaking of slow and cautious - perhaps slow and cynical is a better term - I'm getting kind of tired of waiting for Sony's A7IV. Rumors are that's it's coming in the September-October range.

If I we don't see the A7IV soon, I'm thinking about dumping my Sony gear and paring down to a smaller full-frame kit with Nikon Z.

Back