GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

Maybe you should consider the Q or Q2. Fantastic 28mm lens with a high res full frame attached. 😃
Yesno. Maybe I should. But I won't. I think. I guess - oh, whatever ... :p

Honestly, I'd love to own the Q2 - but I'm just not really a 28mm guy; and a Q2 is *not* a camera to have sitting around and doing nothing. And the GR III is a fantastic substitute - if I feel the 28mm itch, it more than fulfills that purpose. In fact, I'd only really go for the Q2 for two things: the EVF, and sealing. That's not worth north of $4500 over the GR III to me - at least not yet. However, if Leica ever takes a page out of Ricoh's book and presented a Q2"x" (35mm or longer), I'll be in immediate "shut up and take my money" mode. That's why the GR IIIx is still calling, in spite of the very satisfying Z fc/28mm SE combo and the upcoming Z 40mm f/2, and my latest addition we both share now, the APO-Lanthar (man, that's one huge GAS killer ...). I'll pounce on the Z 40mm next (literally - I'll try to get one on its first day of sale to maybe use it during SiO, at least as a second option) - we'll see if it can silence the sirene call of the Ricoh ...

M.

Maybe you should consider the Q or Q2. Fantastic 28mm lens with a high res full frame attached. 😃
The Q series is gorgeous.

For a price of a preloved Summicron-M 28mm f/2 one can easily score a preloved Leica Q 116, and it should be a nobrainer to decide now, shouldn't it?

Nothing's so simple with the matters of heart.

Like Matt I don't really regard 28mm as my main mode of vision. As such, a dedicated compact camera simply feels like an overkill and other sorts of feelings -- of limitation -- among others. As stupid as it sounds I'd actually rather pay more for a M Summicron even if the lens is much much less versatile.

Thoughts of a monochrom have been stuck in my head since they were released.

Kinda like my tinnitus.

Annoying.

Constant.

Just. Won't. Stop.

:dash2:
I think my tinnitus would clear up a little if I could get away from the desk job and soothe my constantly overworked and sore neck muscles. My desire for a Ricoh GR IIIx however... That'll never stop.

I think my tinnitus would clear up a little if I could get away from the desk job and soothe my constantly overworked and sore neck muscles. My desire for a Ricoh GR IIIx however... That'll never stop.

Good luck, with both.

Unfortunately, mine can't be cured or lessened. Loud enough I could hear it over all of the interphone and radio chatter, electronics hum, air conditioning packs, engine and prop noise, airflow over the airframe and turbulence heard in the flight deck of an MC-130P during 2-ship close formation night low-level training routes through the mountains of New Mexico.

It's like having a banshee screeching in each ear, one slightly off pitch from the other, never taking a breath or loosing their voice.

Wee...

I have been able to ignore the harpy's song wrt a Monochrom.

So far...

Hmmm. I am thinking of getting something bigger that the GM5 and more updated than the GF1 and GX1 so that I can handle my bigger lenses better and experience one of the strengths of MFT, IBIS. I have been using the GM5 for quite a while now and don't really have a problem stabilising up to 1/20sec manually. I have callus on my right middle finger for quite a while now because of hand-holding larger and fatter lenses on the GM5. I always place the camera on my left hand for stabilisation and a little bit more weight will help with that. The GF1 and GX1 are good cameras for me and I like to keep them because they're just built like tanks. I can go up to 1/8sec hand-held with these IBIS-less bodies.

I am thinking about the GX7 to GX9 range. The GX7 has a good grip but it's still older than my GM5, although if I see one in good condition, I may just grab one just to complete the MIJ flagship trio. I like the 1/8000 sec max mechanical shutter, 1/320sec flash sync, magnesium alloy body, 12-bit e-shutter raw, etc. I have tried my brother's GX85 so I understand now why the model is so popular. The IBIS is just very useful for hand holding longer shutter speeds especially with my unstabilised lenses, although Olympus' IBIS is at a different league. I like the subtle updates of the GX9 including the EV compensation dial, bluetooth, updated sensor, L Monochrome D, etc.

I considered Olympus E-M10s and E-M5s but, aside from the fact that they are rarely available here, especially 2nd-hand, the older models don't have good video quality. Panasonic cameras just have that sharp easy-to-use video quality. E-M10 III or newer and E-M5 III have sharper videos now but they are still overpriced even 2nd-hand. For reference, I chose the GM5 over an E-M10 II because of the GM5's video quality. I have shot and many videos using the tiny camera although I stabilise my footage manually, which many prefer in videography.

Hmmm. I am thinking of getting something bigger that the GM5 and more updated than the GF1 and GX1 so that I can handle my bigger lenses better and experience one of the strengths of MFT, IBIS. I have been using the GM5 for quite a while now and don't really have a problem stabilising up to 1/20sec manually. I have callus on my right middle finger for quite a while now because of hand-holding larger and fatter lenses on the GM5. I always place the camera on my left hand for stabilisation and a little bit more weight will help with that. The GF1 and GX1 are good cameras for me and I like to keep them because they're just built like tanks. I can go up to 1/8sec hand-held with these IBIS-less bodies.

I am thinking about the GX7 to GX9 range. The GX7 has a good grip but it's still older than my GM5, although if I see one in good condition, I may just grab one just to complete the MIJ flagship trio. I like the 1/8000 sec max mechanical shutter, 1/320sec flash sync, magnesium alloy body, 12-bit e-shutter raw, etc. I have tried my brother's GX85 so I understand now why the model is so popular. The IBIS is just very useful for hand holding longer shutter speeds especially with my unstabilised lenses, although Olympus' IBIS is at a different league. I like the subtle updates of the GX9 including the EV compensation dial, bluetooth, updated sensor, L Monochrome D, etc.

I considered Olympus E-M10s and E-M5s but, aside from the fact that they are rarely available here, especially 2nd-hand, the older models don't have good video quality. Panasonic cameras just have that sharp easy-to-use video quality. E-M10 III or newer and E-M5 III have sharper videos now but they are still overpriced even 2nd-hand. For reference, I chose the GM5 over an E-M10 II because of the GM5's video quality. I have shot and many videos using the tiny camera although I stabilise my footage manually, which many prefer in videography.
I think the GX9 would serve you very well. It's a nice refinement of the GX85, which I used alongside a GM5 for quite a while, and then went on to using the GX85 by itself. Really, the EVF quality is the only downside to those bodies, but given that it's better than the GM5's, no real issue there! The software inside the GX9 has subtle improvements, like exposure compensation when using auto ISO in M mode, even nicer jpegs and the like. I do highly recommend that body.

I think the GX9 would serve you very well. It's a nice refinement of the GX85, which I used alongside a GM5 for quite a while, and then went on to using the GX85 by itself. Really, the EVF quality is the only downside to those bodies, but given that it's better than the GM5's, no real issue there! The software inside the GX9 has subtle improvements, like exposure compensation when using auto ISO in M mode, even nicer jpegs and the like. I do highly recommend that body.
Thanks for the tip. I will look into that. Cheers.

@gordo, @agentlossing, @John King, tinnitus is a bitch, and very difficult to get others to understand. My wife gets enraged when I can't tell what she's said from the next room unless she gives me a very clear prompt to listen to her next statement. For me it's a continuous oscillating ringing. What people don't understand is that it's not in our ears - it's in the brain and has no cure. Hearing aids don't help most tinnitus sufferers because the affliction is another layer on top of what we hear, raising the noise floor. Music seems to help me while I'm listening to it. I think it temporarily shuts the noise generating part of my brain down.

Last edited:
@gordo, @agentlossing, @John King, tinnitus is a bitch, and very difficult to get others to understand. My wife gets enraged when I can't tell what she's said from the next room unless she gives me a very clear prompt to listen to her next statement. For me it's a continuous oscillating ringing. What people don't understand is that it's not in our ears - it's in the brain and has not cure. Hearing aids don't help most tinnitus sufferers because the affliction is another layer on top of what we hear, raising the noise floor. Music seems to help me while I'm listening to it. I think it temporarily shuts the noise generating part of my brain down.
I don't have tinnitus but my wife and I have just had to accept that we have to focus to hear each other if we are in different rooms. If she just starts talking, the beginning of her statement is a mystery to me. Of course, we both have this issue so we do understand the other's problem. We still get mad, however, just at the cruelty of the universe and not each other. :D

@gordo, @agentlossing, @John King, tinnitus is a bitch, and very difficult to get others to understand. My wife gets enraged when I can't tell what she's said from the next room unless she gives me a very clear prompt to listen to her next statement. For me it's a continuous oscillating ringing. What people don't understand is that it's not in our ears - it's in the brain and has not cure. Hearing aids don't help most tinnitus sufferers because the affliction is another layer on top of what we hear, raising the noise floor. Music seems to help me while I'm listening to it. I think it temporarily shuts the noise generating part of my brain down.
I would say my level is not horrible, at least not at this point. but I do notice it is aggravated (or maybe there's another, similar condition going on in addition) by tender and swollen neck muscles (the front ones, which stretch up to below and behind your ear and reach down into the front of the shoulder and chest - these are the ones we all tend to overwork by hanging our heads forward when hunching over a desk or a mobile device). When I have the worst muscle pain in the neck, the ringing is the worst with the worst level of oscillation in pitch. Not that some tinnitus isn't always there - making it very uncomfortable to be in a truly silent place unless I can distract myself from noticing the non-existent, but very much present, "sound" in my ears. The other interesting thing is that my left ear is the worst offender, and my left neck/shoulder is the one most affected by posture-related problems and overworked muscles (I'm left-handed).

I don't have tinnitus but my wife and I have just had to accept that we have to focus to hear each other if we are in different rooms. If she just starts talking, the beginning of her statement is a mystery to me. Of course, we both have this issue so we do understand the other's problem. We still get mad, however, just at the cruelty of the universe and not each other. :D
I saw an internet joke along the lines of "No one told me that marriage is just yelling "What?" from the other room until you die."

Strangely, mine has never bothered me.

Considering that something you nearly need a magnifying glass to see in a sock can drive me nuts, I'm very surprised that my quite noticeable tinnitus doesn't!

Like with continuous pain, we can acclimatize to the "noise" and essentially ignore it. Depending upon severity.

Yup. Not actual noise, the brain's interpretation of signal from damage. It has literally driven some people crazy, some going so far as to puncture their eardrums hoping to make the sounds go away. It messes with my ability to hear quiet or higher pitch voices in loud environments - I see someone talking and I hear Charlie Brown's teacher instead.

Funny, but one of the major contributors to my damage is the best sound to help mask the tinnitus - prop sound. On the Hercs, I could zone out and nap/ sleep right quick when I had the chance. I find this to be quite soothing...

And on the topic of desires...

I'm getting closer and closer to minimalist. Only stuff left is Fuji, and some of it isn't getting used so it might evaporate as well.

Still knocking on the sky, and still getting the impression I should minimize and take a few years to see how my health and the camera industry shakes out. Not quite sure how this develops yet. Q2/ Q2M + X100f (or X-H1 with 27mkII), or maybe 50SmkII and a lens or two and spend time trying to up my game on landscape, or who knows...

The siren call of a Monochrom is still in my head.

Back