GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

I assume you have explored the options around this lens, so I inquiry out of curiosity: why this lens, not the TTArtisan 50/0.95 or 50/1.4 or the others in similar category?

Yes. Specifically it's the fact that the 1.1 is a sonnar varient. It's basically a Zunow 50/1.1 clone.

Both are Sonnar type lenses. One's an old time classic the other is very unlike the other double gauss superfast lenses.

I am leaning towards the Nikkor for now and getting the 7Artisans next year sometime.

Yes. Specifically it's the fact that the 1.1 is a sonnar varient. It's basically a Zunow 50/1.1 clone.

Both are Sonnar type lenses. One's an old time classic the other is very unlike the other double gauss superfast lenses.

I am leaning towards the Nikkor for now and getting the 7Artisans next year sometime.
Hmm, now you got me interested in the 7A lens :)

Today, I dropped off my Nikon Z 6 and Z 40mm f/2 (the combo that fell to the ground two weeks ago) at Nikon's ...

And I made the mistake of asking to handle the Z 50mm f/1.2 S on the Z 7 II. It balances, bulk and all, almost as nicely on the Z 7 II as my beloved Z MC 105mm f/2.8 ...

D*** again. Now I think I'll have to save up for one ...

M.
Matt, that's exactly how I felt when I first handled my E-M1 MkII with a 12-100 on it. Within 20 minutes, my credit card was on the counter ...

Matt, that's exactly how I felt when I first handled my E-M1 MkII with a 12-100 on it. Within 20 minutes, my credit card was on the counter ...
Oh-ah ... It has, you know (happened, I mean) :p

I'm usually better at waiting if my perception of desirability changes, and at the moment, Nikon's churning out the lenses I really want and have been waiting for, so there's quite a list I'll check off as soon as possible. The Z 50mm f/1.2 S really wasn't a planned purchase ... But after handling it, I knew that my perconceptions about it being unwieldy were simply wrong - and results are wonderful, so, as I've said in another thread, no regrets.

Still, I have the add the MB-N11 multi-function grip to my list now - I'd have gone for that anyway, at some point in time; now it has become a bit more relevant. I've learned in recent months that a *balanced* combo is just as decisive as a *light* combo (I'd still choose the light option if I can, but good balance goes a long way).

M.

Oh-ah ... It has, you know (happened, I mean) :p

I'm usually better at waiting if my perception of desirability changes, and at the moment, Nikon's churning out the lenses I really want and have been waiting for, so there's quite a list I'll check off as soon as possible. The Z 50mm f/1.2 S really wasn't a planned purchase ... But after handling it, I knew that my perconceptions about it being unwieldy were simply wrong - and results are wonderful, so, as I've said in another thread, no regrets.

Still, I have the add the MB-N11 multi-function grip to my list now - I'd have gone for that anyway, at some point in time; now it has become a bit more relevant. I've learned in recent months that a *balanced* combo is just as decisive as a *light* combo (I'd still choose the light option if I can, but good balance goes a long way).

M.
I agree, Matt. My E-M1 MkI + 12-50 macro balances, as do my E-M1 MkII + 12-100 and E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ.

Now, I can use my E-PM2 + 12-100, and the OIS of the lens makes up for the almost useless IBIS in the E-PM2 (the body is just too light - the sensor stays still and the camera moves ... or something). However, it is hardly a sensible combo!

I always wanted my E-30 to be the same size as my E-510 ...

My FTs 14-54 MkII + MMF-3 balances very nicely on my E-M1 MkI and MkII. Not on my E-PM2 ...

I have the desire to go back in to the defunct Nikon 1 system but common sense says my Pana GM1 is nearly as small and more functional for me, but still I still look waiting for a bargain. Then there is the Ricoh GXR that I find interesting but like the Pentax Q that would come here just goes for more than this tight git is willing to pay. Lots of things interest me mostly at the real bottom end of the market, the foibles and imperfections of a load of the gear is quite desirable. Lenses that have reviewers saying well but this fault or atribute takes it away from perfection makes it a low score makes me think they may have some character.

I have the desire to go back in to the defunct Nikon 1 system but common sense says my Pana GM1 is nearly as small and more functional for me, but still I still look waiting for a bargain. Then there is the Ricoh GXR that I find interesting but like the Pentax Q that would come here just goes for more than this tight git is willing to pay. Lots of things interest me mostly at the real bottom end of the market, the foibles and imperfections of a load of the gear is quite desirable. Lenses that have reviewers saying well but this fault or atribute takes it away from perfection makes it a low score makes me think they may have some character.
Yeah, I like some of the lenses that get rather low marks, such as the Oly 18/2.8, which just renders really well with some texture. There are faults and faults, for example I really don't like bad purple fringing, but I don't mind corner softness if it sort of accentuates center sharpness (like some of the old, old lenses) but you often get green and purple fringing when you have soft corners. So finding an "imperfect" sweet spot can be tough.

The influx of wonderful µ4/3 photography here surely rekindles my attraction towards the good value proposition of the system. Too bad I've burned my fingers enough times that I know it's not in the stars for me.

If say Olympus were to shamelessly rip Fuji X100 and release a window finder camera in X100/Pen F size with focus distance scales I would be more than interested. Technically possible, probably not going to happen since neither Oly or Panasonic have legacy with rangefinder cameras.

The influx of wonderful µ4/3 photography here surely rekindles my attraction towards the good value proposition of the system. Too bad I've burned my fingers enough times that I know it's not in the stars for me.

If say Olympus were to shamelessly rip Fuji X100 and release a window finder camera in X100/Pen F size with focus distance scales I would be more than interested. Technically possible, probably not going to happen since neither Oly or Panasonic have legacy with rangefinder cameras.
Did you never find a lens that really spoke to you? I find M4/3 sensors give good enough RAW files, but there appeal is in the lenses.

Did you never find a lens that really spoke to you? I find M4/3 sensors give good enough RAW files, but there appeal is in the lenses.
There's loads of M4/3 lenses that appeal to me. There's also several M4/3 sensors that produce very appealing raw files!

But to find a nice camera that has that little extra something that really makes the shooting experience...

There's loads of M4/3 lenses that appeal to me. There's also several M4/3 sensors that produce very appealing raw files!

But to find a nice camera that has that little extra something that really makes the shooting experience...
I definitely understand the wish for a M4/3 camera to have some of those traditional mechanical features like (actually working) distance scales, I've bemoaned it myself in the past. The bummer is, Olympus totally DOES have that tradition with compact rangefinder and scale focus cameras, so it could be right up their alley to release a rebirth of that kind of camera. Just like I have wished for a Panasonic LX100 with a built in version of their 20/1.7 - that'd be heaven! Plus every camera needs the robust snap focus features that Ricoh puts in the GR. That's my wishlist, heheh.

Pick up a second hand GF1, it will probably leave you about €50 out of pocket, combined it with one of the smaller primes, or the puny 12-32 and off you go. I stumbled over this article and needed one after reading: GF1 Field Test — 16 Days in the Himalayas — by Craig Mod

The Q is not for me, the M system is somewhat intriguing, but not something I will prioritize due do cost. I have once stated that I would probably migrate to the CL if the M43 system goes belly up, and then only when my current system is worn out. So we are probably at CL mkX-XII territory. :drinks:

Back