GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

My Coolpix A is starting to show its age (like me).
It has a few bad pixels and the rubberish thumb pad has fallen off.
The only true pocket camera with a APSc sensor left in my possession.
Ricoh GRIII might be a replacement. But is seems a bit overpriced.
Is it really the only truely pocket sized option left?

In APS-C, pretty much yes, aside from the XF10 and X70. I would recommend watching the Ricoh shop for refurbished GR III units, they are usually a decent deal.

The GRII is significantly less expensive and, at least in some quirky ways, offers things that the GRiii doesn't. It was a thoughtful upgrade from the original APS-C GR. And they are quite affordable.

Conversely, I'm also willing to bet that if you searched patiently, you might find a very lightly used Coolpix A for an even more reasonable price.

Last edited:
The GRII is significantly less expensive and, at least in some quirky ways, offers things that the GRiii doesn't. It was a thoughtful upgrade from the original APS-C GR. And they are quite affordable.

Conversely, I'm also willing to be that if you searched patiently, you might find a very unused Coolpix A for an even more reasonable price.
I have been looking at getting an old stock new Coolpix A. You can still find them around. But the GR II or X70 are options too.
I would actually like one of each….

The GRII and the A were a few of my favorite cameras. Ingrained that 28mm fov in me.
I'd been watching a used GRiii over at FM. Low clicks. Includes GV-1 finder and three batteries. $650.
I like the improvements over the II. Some don't.

I have an itch to get either a 23/1.4 or 33/1.4 for my Fuji. Viltrox models look quite attractive (and cheap) but I probably will end up with a Fuji as the Viltrox lenses have de-clicked aperture rings and I would worry about EQ
I have been very pleased with the Fuji 33 1.4. Enough so that I actually take the 50mm f1 off and shoot with the 33 even when I don't have to.

I'm happier with my XF10 than I ever expected to be. Nothing fancy, but it was cheap new and cheaper still used, it's simple and gets out of the way, and the image quality of the 24mp Bayer sensor is stunning, they really put a very good lens on it. AF isn't the fastest but not as unusably slow as some reviews made it out to be, and it has a preset focus mode somewhat similar to Ricoh GRs, except it also locks in the aperture. I'm not a street shooter so AF works just fine for me. Also I've carried it in my pants pocket on some 400km worth of hikes without any form of protection, and so far zero dust issues.

I'd have liked the tilting screen of the X70, but I really wanted the USB charging of the XF10, and as a result of the fixed screen it's notably thinner than the X70 which is nice for pants pocket carrying.

Last edited:
Vanilla. But sooo creamy.
DSC02382.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Agreed. I've got the poor man's Q (or a normal focal length equivalent, now), the GR IIIx. Isn't quite as fun to use, but it fits in my pants pocket. I don't need a Q... even though it would cover the 28mm that I don't have anymore...
I was going to say that I have the poor mans Q2, the Fuji X100F. And it does actually satisfy the Q2 craving every time I use it!

Back