GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

I went into Blue Moon Camera in Portland over the weekend and they had the Pentax FA Limited 1.9/43mm SMC in their cabinet. I put it on my K1 and took some shots, and even just reviewing them on the rear screen I could tell they looked very good. I didn't buy it ($400 wasn't bad but not the best deal to be found on that lens, I'd probably check Pentax Forums first), but I'm severely tempted. It's a faster and quieter focusing lens than the FA 2/35mm, and produces sharper images at wider apertures. Even though the FA 35mm is a new, HD version, it behaves a lot like an older lens, because I believe all the internals are older. And the images, while good, still have the look of a lens that was designed for film, with a little more softness and CA. I suspect if I bought the 43, it would essentially replace the 35 because they would be close enough in focal length that I usually wouldn't want to shoot with the 35. Only issue is, it furthers my tendency to purchase all my lenses in the 40mm general vicinity, and that limits the versatility of my kit. I haven't decided yet whether I am okay with that or not. It's not the best dollar-for-dollar lens buying strategy, but it also makes me happy when I get lenses like the 43 -- it reminds me of a full frame version of what the Panasonic 20mm is to M4/3 -- so, which is better, versatility or happiness? 😏

I would vote for Happiness over Versatility any day.

Additionally, the FA 43 Ltd is truly not merely one of the greatest Pentax lenses ever made - but, arguably, one of the better lenses ever produced for any camera or camera systems. Period. The only real debate among hardcore Pentaxians is whether the updated HD version of the lens, is better than the original, non-HD version - and while the debate rages on in an entertaining and civilized fashion over in Pentaxland, a case can be made for it (the newer HD version) actually being better for a newer FF DSLR like the K-1ii.

And, on the theory that a great camera (like your K-1) deserves fine lenses, if you decided to sell or recycle your f2 FA 35mm lens (a decision that makes an immense amount of sense, to me at least), that would open the door for a future purchase of another legendary Pentax lens, the DA 35mm f2.8 Macro, which although close in FOV to the 43mm, actually covers a different range of image-making, and is a worthy acquisition in its own right.

Arguably, you would not only be happier... but the legendary pixie dust which the FA43 possesses, would open up new avenues or vistas for your image-making adventures!

I would vote for Happiness over Versatility any day.

Additionally, the FA 43 Ltd is truly not merely one of the greatest Pentax lenses ever made - but, arguably, one of the better lenses ever produced for any camera or camera systems. Period. The only real debate among hardcore Pentaxians is whether the updated HD version of the lens, is better than the original, non-HD version - and while the debate rages on in an entertaining and civilized fashion over in Pentaxland, a case can be made for it (the newer HD version) actually being better for a newer FF DSLR like the K-1ii.

And, on the theory that a great camera (like your K-1) deserves fine lenses, if you decided to sell or recycle your f2 FA 35mm lens (a decision that makes an immense amount of sense, to me at least), that would open the door for a future purchase of another legendary Pentax lens, the DA 35mm f2.8 Macro, which although close in FOV to the 43mm, actually covers a different range of image-making, and is a worthy acquisition in its own right.

Arguably, you would not only be happier... but the legendary pixie dust which the FA43 possesses, would open up new avenues or vistas for your image-making adventures!
I should have known better than to expect anyone to preach restraint ;) Thanks for that, Miguel!

I think I need to figure out what would make a sharp and small wide angle lens for the K1, then I'd feel more comfortable about giving up those extra mm on the wide end with the 35. Of course, the Limited 31mm is an obvious choice, and a definite eventual purchase for me, but it's a little steeper. I still want to work my way through some older K mount lenses. My Pentax-M 2.8/28 looks fine on film but leaves something to be desired in digital.

That's a lens that, in spite of its modest specs, has almost made it into my kit a few times. However, I tried the 28-105mm D first (it can be had at about half the price of the 24-85mm used) and like that lens so much that it ended my search for a portable walk-around companion for the D750. It's really versatile (semi-macro capabilities) and optically much nicer than a kit lens has any right to be (but I've read that that's the case for the 24-85mm, too). That said, I still use my former go-to lens, the 60mm G Micro, almost as much - it pairs with the D750 fantastically well and the whole combo ends up with some weather-restistance, too ...

M.
IMHO the 28-105 is the best / cheap lens for Nikon F mount I've ever owned.

So the GRIIIx was not for me. Was it the 40mme? I don't really think so, but maybe.

So now I'm contemplating picking up another X70, really shouldn't have sold the last one.
It has taken me a lot longer than I thought it would to acclimate to the 40mm equiv. Even though that's my favorite M4/3 lens and one I've used multiple film compacts with. I think it comes down more to the way you compose with a GR, or maybe just muscle memory. I'm not unhappy with it, but I definitely don't feel like it's "better" than the 28mm equiv.

It has taken me a lot longer than I thought it would to acclimate to the 40mm equiv. Even though that's my favorite M4/3 lens and one I've used multiple film compacts with. I think it comes down more to the way you compose with a GR, or maybe just muscle memory. I'm not unhappy with it, but I definitely don't feel like it's "better" than the 28mm equiv.
Andrew, I always preferred 28mm and 50mm in primes, yet my primary film zoom was an Olympus 35-70mm Close Focus. I had a 40mm Cassaron prime for my Praktica, but never used it to any extent.

I'm now finding it slightly difficult to acclimatise to my new 8-25. Unsurprising really, as I've only had it for a couple of days.

Andrew, I always preferred 28mm and 50mm in primes, yet my primary film zoom was an Olympus 35-70mm Close Focus. I had a 40mm Cassaron prime for my Praktica, but never used it to any extent.

I'm now finding it slightly difficult to acclimatise to my new 8-25. Unsurprising really, as I've only had it for a couple of days.
I tried the Coolpix A and the Fuji X70, but 28 mme is just not my focal length. I like the ergs of the Fuji over the GRiii/GRiiix but the Fuji is not quite as pocketable.

UWAs kinda collect dust until you get yourself into a place where you need one, IMO. I haven’t used my 9-18 in a while, but it is my go-to for landscapes and architecture. Around my own house, there just isn’t much reason to use it.

UWAs kinda collect dust until you get yourself into a place where you need one, IMO. I haven’t used my 9-18 in a while, but it is my go-to for landscapes and architecture. Around my own house, there just isn’t much reason to use it.
I agree, Randy.

That's why I'm hoping that my 8-25 will replace my FTs 7-14, 11-22 and (mythical) 15-25.

AND get used a lot more than any of them!
Time will tell, I guess.

Maybe a pairing of the 8-25 and 40-150R could work?

I agree, Randy.

That's why I'm hoping that my 8-25 will replace my FTs 7-14, 11-22 and (mythical) 15-25.

Time will tell, I guess.

I pair my 8-25 with the 40-150 f4, I think it is perfect. The 12-100 is beginning to collect dust 😳

So the GRIIIx was not for me. Was it the 40mme? I don't really think so, but maybe.

So now I'm contemplating picking up another X70, really shouldn't have sold the last one.
I tried the Coolpix A and the Fuji X70, but 28 mme is just not my focal length. I like the ergs of the Fuji over the GRiii/GRiiix but the Fuji is not quite as pocketable.
I like the form factor and handling of the GR III, even the touch screen is helpful. I'm not that comfortable with the 28mm FoV either - but I'm used enough to the GR to not feel it too much when using the camera. However, I really dislike framing with the screen. If only the results weren't so nice - that lens/sensor/I.B.I.S. setup is fantastic ...

Still, yesterday's outing made me thing about the Canon G5X II again - only slightly bigger, zoomable, and it has an EVF if you need one...

But I'm entirely certain it couldn't replace the GR III - not by a long shot. I feel stuck ... But to be honest, in many ways, it's a pretty nice place to be stuck in ...

If the bigger camera and its tilt screen (IIRC) suit you better, David, go for it.

M.

I agree, Randy.

Time will tell, I guess.

I pair my 8-25 with the 40-150 f4, I think it is perfect. The 12-100 is beginning to collect dust 😳
Yes, while the R is pretty good and an amazing value, it can come back a bit lacking sometimes where I suspect/hope the f4 would redeem itself. This should be expected since there is a vast price disparity.

I like the form factor and handling of the GR III, even the touch screen is helpful. I'm not that comfortable with the 28mm FoV either - but I'm used enough to the GR to not feel it too much when using the camera. However, I really dislike framing with the screen. If only the results weren't so nice - that lens/sensor/I.B.I.S. setup is fantastic ...

Still, yesterday's outing made me thing about the Canon G5X II again - only slightly bigger, zoomable, and it has an EVF if you need one...

But I'm entirely certain it couldn't replace the GR III - not by a long shot. I feel stuck ... But to be honest, in many ways, it's a pretty nice place to be stuck in ...

If the bigger camera and its tilt screen (IIRC) suit you better, David, go for it.

M.
Using the screen isn't a problem for me. I think it's more the non-tilting factor of the GR that's the issue for me.

As for the 28mme? I actually just re-bought the P14mm, I really need to stop selling it off when I think I might have replaced it. Like if I do get another X70.

Funny you mentioned the G5X II, I've been considering the RX100 VA.

Using the screen isn't a problem for me. I think it's more the non-tilting factor of the GR that's the issue for me.

As for the 28mme? I actually just re-bought the P14mm, I really need to stop selling it off when I think I might have replaced it. Like if I do get another X70.

I really liked the tilt screen on the X70.

I think I have to explain about the screen on the GR III: I actually think it's a really good screen - but my aging eyes force me to work with it almost at arm's length (or switch glasses - but I'll *not* carry reading glasses on walks just yet), which means I have no real chance of seeing any details in the frame. Nothing to do with it being fixed - I'd have the same issues, whatever the angle.

After using the X100V for a while, I'm simply back at beating the dead horse of the missing EVF on the GR III - and the G5X II (as well as the RX100VA) has one. My reasons for considering the G5X II over other models are several: With the X100V covering the "weather resistant" slot, I could also move on the G1X III which, while impressive, just can't keep up with the IQ of the GR III and X100V (or the Z 50 with kit lens) - its merit is that it's my only jacket pocketable zoom, and the G5X II could fill that niche; furthermore, the G5X II handles a lot(!) nicer than the RX100VA and almost as well as the GR III, plus it offers a longer zoom than the Sony.

The big "but": There's no denying the superior results the GR III provides over any 1" camera you care to name; in fact, the GR III beats the Z 28mm f/2.8 (a good lens!) on the Z 6 ... so, after all these years, it's basically still my best 28mm-e lens in front of a very compelling sensor with a fantastic form factor. So, whatever gripe I may have with the GR III, I think I should just try to live with it. On the other hand, my eyes aren't going to get any better ... We'll see.

A little word about the comparison with the X100V: It's an immensely enjoyable camera to shoot, but to me, it's a pretty slow one (nothing wrong with that!) - it deploys quickly and gets out of your way when shooting, but its working pace is sedate overall. Not so with the GR III. I know I'd absolutely adore the experience from the GR III if it had a) an EVF and b) an AF joystick. If that made the camera somewhat bigger (not a lot thicker, but taller and wider), I'd be completely fine with that. The GR III is super-quick in action ... except for some aspects of the AF, but that's the case with the X100V as well.

M.

@MoonMind Matt, what's wrong with your eyes?

My wife had bi-lateral cataract surgery, and she can now see better than I can with my (corrected) right eye, which has 20/5 vision.
Ah, interesting to read this today : I've just dropped off my husband at the hospital for surgery this morning.
Last week he had a cataract op on his left eye and today it will be his right - after huge anxiety before going in last week,
he was most pleasantly surprised at the quick recovery and incredibly beneficial positive result. Hoping the second one
will also go well today! I'm waiting for the call to ask me to go pick him up again to come home

@MoonMind Matt, what's wrong with your eyes?

My wife had bi-lateral cataract surgery, and she can now see better than I can with my (corrected) right eye, which has 20/5 vision.
I'm myopic by "design" (my whole family is), and now I'm getting increasingly hyperopic as well. Nothing fancy, just the "pleasures" of growing older ...

M.

Back