GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

The FedEx man arrived just before noon today with my X2D. OK, I am biased, but to hold it is to love it. It falls to the hand well, it feels like a real piece of photo machinery, is beautiful in fit and finish, boots rapidly and is charging from the 18% battery charge it arrived with. I will be re-reading the manual, attaching the lens, 55mm, and the the tripod mount swivel and lanyard which attaches to the swivel. I will take some photos with it despite the fact that we have moved into the grey season. Folks familiar with the PNW will know what I am talking about. And we are looking at another six months of it with a rainier and colder than normal winter predicted.

Much of what I photo will seem monochrome. There may be some small bits of color but it will mostly be grey, and then some grey for emphasis.

I am stoked, and broke. ;o)
Congrats!

Last edited:
The FedEx man arrived just before noon today with my X2D. OK, I am biased, but to hold it is to love it. It falls to the hand well, it feels like a real piece of photo machinery, is beautiful in fit and finish, boots rapidly and is charging from the 18% battery charge it arrived with. I will be re-reading the manual, attaching the lens, 55mm, and the the tripod mount swivel and lanyard which attaches to the swivel. I will take some photos with it despite the fact that we have moved into the grey season. Folks familiar with the PNW will know what I am talking about. And we are looking at another six months of it with a rainier and colder than normal winter predicted.

Much of what I photo will seem monochrome. There may be some small bits of color but it will mostly be grey, and then some grey for emphasis.

Congratulations on the purchase of a beautiful camera. May it serve you well.

Hopefully the huge files don't have any flow-on effect that causes your computer to gag.

Congrats. I think the X1D is possibly the most satisfying camera I’ve ever shot. I can only imagine the improved X2D. Enjoy.

Congrats, and I do mean it, on being probably the only forum member who has one of these in hand! I'll look forward to seeing some images.

The initial photos are not much. By the time I got out the door it was late. And I had the dog who is recovering from a UTI so we had a few extra pee stops. And I took photos of what I have taken photos of before because 1) it is available and 2) I can compare to the M9/Amotal combo. The detail is what you would expect. A photo of the local fish wholesaler's small truck at a distance has the phone number sharp and if you zoom in you can also see the small chips in the paint. The color is good. The folks in Gothenburg have tuned the Sony sensor quite well.

I know there are a lot of "Barnak" Leicaphiles around. Pick this thing up and Barnak is yesterday's papers. The grip is 100% right. the weight is not a problem - the grip - the balance is fine and it handles very well. The screens and touch screen controls are simple, logical - imagine that! - and easy to follow. All in all a coup. Even the JPG's are large, though, 65 - 100 MB. When they are all up on Flickr I will post a link. Do not expect much as these are rushed and local, barely better, if better at all, than snapshots. I hope to do some better shots in the next few days. I was trepidatious buying it and waiting for it to arrive. After using it a bit I am very glad I bought it as foolish as it was to do. WTF I wish I had a bunch to loan you all so you could play with them and see what a camera this is.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the purchase of a beautiful camera. May it serve you well.

Hopefully the huge files don't have any flow-on effect that causes your computer to gag.
The box is a recent Dell and handles the JPG's fine for viewing. I have not yet viewed the 3FR (DNG) files. I am interested in what will handle them other that the H Phocus. I think the box will be fine for a few years.

Second shot, first JPG, La Diessa del Muerte, The Goddess of Death (Mexico). She comes to tell you that your ticket has been punched. The El Tecolote (The Owl in Nahuatl, the Spanish word is not used) comes to carry you off to the underworld. I can shoot DNG and JPG simultaneously which I like. OK, file is too big to upload. I'll post a link when Flickr is done.

Last edited:
The box is a recent Dell and handles the JPG's fine for viewing. I have not yet viewed the 3FR (DNG) files. I am interested in what will handle them other that the H Phocus. I think the box will be fine for a few years.
Sample files are here, but I'm certain that you have already seen these:

RAWs look to be around 200+ MB, much the same as those from the Fuji GFX 100.

Bridge, ACR and Photoshop CC (2023) handles the files very quickly on my very new PC with an I7-12700, 32 GB RAM, 6 GB video card, 1 TB NVMe SSD (plus lots of other HDDs).

Last edited:
OK, here is today's trash I have posted to Flickr. Yes, I know thse are just crap. I will get out for some better work in the next few days. These are 65 - 100 MB JPG files which make Flickr go nuts.

WOW!

I looked at two at maximum size (on my tablet); the Ocean Beauty Seafoods van and the fishing net reel and hydraulic boom.

The detail is just stunning.

Fantastic!

Why am I not surprised that Flickr threw a hissy fit.

WOW!

I looked at two at maximum size (on my tablet); the Ocean Beauty Seafoods van and the fishing net reel and hydraulic boom.

The detail is just stunning.

Fantastic!

Why am I not surprised that Flickr threw a hissy fit.
If you zoom in close by the Ocean Beauty Seafoods phone number you will see at the end of the "5" in the "325" part of the phone number that there is a chip in the paint. Also check out the night shots of the Oregon Responder, the dark blue hull with the white superstructure. The color and light gradations are smooth. I do not know how much of that 16 bit color gets into the JPG and then up to Flickr but the subtle smoothness of color and light impress me. I feel less guilty now about selling all the children into slavery to buy the camera. ;o)

Last edited:
If you zoom in close by the Ocean Beauty Seafoods phone number you will see at the end of the "5" in the "325" part of the phone number that there is a chip in the paint. Also check out the night shots of the Oregon Responder, the dark blue hull with the white superstructure. The color and light gradations are smooth.
Yeah. Had a quick look on my PC before I put it to sleep for the night. Even at reduced resolution JPEGs, the images are pretty stunning.
I do not know how much of that 16 bit color gets into the JPG and then up to Flickr but the subtle smoothness of color and light impress me.
The better you start with the better the end product always is, IME.
Regardless of format, etc. 16 bit colour will never get anywhere with a JPEG, but starting at the highest JPEG resolution does. It's why I always shoot aRGB RAW+ LSF JPEG with my cameras. 2.7:1 compression gives a much better than 4:1 compression.
I feel less guilty now about selling all the children into slavery to buy the camera. ;o)
:rofl: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah. Had a quick look on my PC before I put it to sleep for the night. Even at reduced resolution JPEGs, the images are pretty stunning.

The better you start with the better the end product always is, IME.
Regardless of format, etc. 16 bit colour will never get anywhere with a JPEG, but starting at the highest JPEG resolution does. It's why I always shoot aRGB RAW+ LSF JPEG with my cameras. 2.7:1 compression gives a much better than 4:1 compression.

:rofl: :ROFLMAO:
The DNG's (3FR's) are approximately three times the size of the parallel JPG's on the X2D. I use the option of shooting both at the same time. A 215 MB 3FR becomes a 75 MB JPG.

The DNG's (3FR's) are approximately three times the size of the parallel JPG's on the X2D. I use the option of shooting both at the same time. A 215 MB 3FR becomes a 75 MB JPG.
I've looked at a few of the RAWs on DPR. Very, very nice.

However, you will really have to watch out for far too shallow DoF when close up. Just too easy to end up with unusably thin. One shot, the male portrait, the DoF is so shallow that his eyes and eyelashes are fine, but he has a dreadful putty blob nose.

I've looked at a few of the RAWs on DPR. Very, very nice.

However, you will really have to watch out for far too shallow DoF when close up. Just too easy to end up with unusably thin. One shot, the male portrait, the DoF is so shallow that his eyes and eyelashes are fine, but he has a dreadful putty blob nose.
Agreed. I'm just setting up the camera and getting used to the controls. Where are you looking at 3FR's of mine? I have uploaded none.

Agreed. I'm just setting up the camera and getting used to the controls. Where are you looking at 3FR's of mine? I have uploaded none.
Not your photos, DPReview sample .3FR files. Here:

I downloaded a couple of theirs to get a feel for your new camera's RAWs.

Back