GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

Keith,

I've had that camera for more than 50 years (a gift from my Dad) and it still works like a champ. I believe I still have the original instructions (small pamphlet) also; if you need a copy I can scan them and send them along. The only issue is the film/shot counter; they can be a pain if the paper thickness of the backing material is too thin for the embossing on the roller edges to grip (sets the counter sequence/advance). Photos later when I get done with the ice/snow storm here...:(.

Regards,

Edd
Thanks, Edd.

I was able to find a scan of the manual. Does this look like it matches the one you have?

Good luck with the ice storm...stay safe!

- K

Open up the camera and look through the lens; is there movement when the shutter is released? Is the duration of the shutter speeds plausible? You'll need them to be broadly reliable (to within a stop at least - or even black and white film won't help you). There are some apps to measure the actual speeds with your phone, but I'm not aware of any free ones. Checking shutters and bellows is key - or you'll end up with an unusable camera; replacing bellows is pretty expensive (comparatively speaking - a multiple of the price you'll pay for the camera itself), CLAs vary in price according to complexity and condition.

The worst thing is a completely stuck shutter - you can't even cock it. Usually, if a shutter "hangs", one or more shutter speeds refuse to release or are very slow. You can't work with a "hanging" or stuck shutter, obviously. The Prontor-S/SV/SVS shutters are pretty reliable over long periods of time, but *if* they hang, you need to take them apart and clean and lubricate them. My guess is that the more sophisticated shutter units that offer many shutter speeds (Prontor, Compur) do so by using interlinked components - i.e. complex mechanics. Cheap shutters with few shutter speeds have simple spring arrangements - i.e. a single spring for each shutter speed. The Vario shutter I mentioned works like this: three speeds, so three springs, three hooks, some pins. On the other hand, I know that early Compurs use a massive *extra* spring for their fastest shutter speeds - they're quite hard to to cock. My other, pre-war 515/2 uses such a shutter/lens combo: 105mm f/4.5 Tessar set in a late 1930s Compur.

While the Compur is the top-of-the-line (with the late Synchro-Compurs marking the height of innovation in this field at their time), I usually prefer the simpler, quieter and lighter Prontor shutters; their lighter, cheaper variant, the Pronto, is also nice - but prone to hanging. So, if you're starting out, the Prontors are actually your best guess.

And yes, with most such cameras, you'll need to wind on the film (checking frame position visually!) and cock the shutter separately. Some only allow for cocking the shutter once the film has been wound on, but some don't have any kind of double exposure prevention.

Just a little background information: When I came back to film photography, I did so via medium format film - and it all started with a fascination for old folders. I came across the Zeiss 515/2 I first mentioned (the one with the cheap lens and shutter) and went deep into the rabbit hole from there. That's why I ended up with a small collection and two coveted ones that both mark their respective pinnacle of development:

View attachment 370167

On the right, an early Voigtländer Bessa RF 6x9 with its wonderful Heliar 105mm f/3.5 set into a Compur Rapid shutter with a top shutter speed of 1/400s and coupled rangefinder (but no double exposure prevention; winding's done the classic "red window" way); you can also choose between 6x9 and 6x4,5 by inserting a suitable mask; viewfinder and back are prepared for this! On the left a late Zeiss Super-Ikonta 531/16 6x6 (that's what the "16" means) with the most sophisticated set of features: winding with reliable auto-spacing, a frame counter and double exposure prevention, coupled rangefinder and Zeiss Tessar 75mm f/3.5 lens set into a Synchro-Compur with a full set of speeds up to 1/500s. These cameras are fantastic - but they're not cheap, and the Voigtländer is pretty rare anyway. I snapped mine up in Berlin by pure chance.

The camera you've shown is an ideal beginner's tool - if it works, that is. I personally would recommend either 6x6 or 6x4.5 to start out - because 6x9 will make you go through loads of film ... But it is what it is; as I said, I started out with a cheap 6x9 because that's what was available.

M.
Thank you again for sharing your depth of experience, Matt. Between the information you and the others here have shared I feel much more confident in my ability to assess this camera and make an informed decision as to whether I should bring it home.

- K

Thanks, Edd.

I was able to find a scan of the manual. Does this look like it matches the one you have?

Good luck with the ice storm...stay safe!

- K
That is the one...here is the camera in all of its' glory...:)

Storm is over but the snow/ice mix is F%^$*()g heavy!

Regards,

Edd

1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 370004

Spotted a Voigtländer Perkeo II in (apparently) good condition in a local shop and ever since this little thing has been taking up space in the back of my mind. The Perkeo is a folding 6x6 camera with an 80mm f/3.5 lens.

All I know about this camera is what I've been able to glean from some online research. I haven't shot film since I got my first digital camera, and I've never attempted to use any camera made before the 80s. I'm not sure I'm really up for the challenge, but still this thing keeps calling me in my daydreams. The upside is that at least this thing doesn't take batteries. :rolleyes:

Hopefully someone here can talk me out of this folly. Please tell me what a nightmare these cameras are and how horrible the experience of shooting with it would be. Barring that, what do I need to look at to determine whether this thing is worth buying?

- K
OK, so I went and fondled and played with this little gem, but she didn't come home with me.

The bellows appeared to be in great shape and overall she looked quite well cared for. The kit also included a leather case (in good shape), a Voigtländer rangefinder, and a couple of filters.

However there were a couple of issues that gave me pause. First, there is something amiss with the linkage between the shutter and the shutter button, so that while I could trigger the shutter by hitting the little lever under the hinge, the shutter button itself provided no function. Second, the shutter speed ring was very stiff — while I could move it, I can't imagine that the force needed to do so is appropriate. Also, while the ring could be turned all the way to the bulb setting, I wasn't able to get it to turn all the way to the 1/500th shutter speed.

Considering the price (which seemed to be toward the middle or high end of the range for such cameras), I decided to pass. While I'm confident this camera could be fixed, I'm not sure I want to be the one to take that on.

However, this little minor dalliance has opened my eyes to the appeal of these little folding medium format cameras. Now that they're on my radar it's probably just a matter of time before I find one that checks all the boxes. I think I might've caught the bug.

- K

Considering a new 27” monitor and maybe a new main system. Or maybe just getting a used dual cpu tray for ye ol Mac Pro to upgrade to dual X5690s. All things considered, the 2010 Mac Pro has been a good enough PP machine and even handles 1080p gaming reasonably well. I could potentially also do a drop-in upgrade of my RX 480 to a 5600 XT with no troubles. Anyway, my current monitor is a 22” Dell that has served me well for about a decade now, but a 27” model would sure make editing easier with less zooming and such.

@Darmok N Jalad Randy, I just watched series 5, episode 2 of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" - "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" ... ;) .

Has your computer got an SSD in it? Really makes a difference, if it can use one, specially if it can handle either SATA3 or, better still, NVME.2.
Yep, while the legacy Mac Pro only has SATA ports for storage, the last firmware update Apple ever did on it was allow for bootable NVME drives from the PCIe slots. That allows you to go from a max 600mb/s r/w on SATA to about 2000mb/s r/w. These things were some of the best designed machines that I’ve ever come across. With decent community support, they are still capable of quite a bit. Not as efficient as the M1/M2 by no means though.

Yep, while the legacy Mac Pro only has SATA ports for storage, the last firmware update Apple ever did on it was allow for bootable NVME drives from the PCIe slots. That allows you to go from a max 600mb/s r/w on SATA to about 2000mb/s r/w. These things were some of the best designed machines that I’ve ever come across. With decent community support, they are still capable of quite a bit. Not as efficient as the M1/M2 by no means though.
Too much to expect that a computer as old as that supports the latest NVME SSDs. However, my (just built) PC will manage 7,000/7,000 MBps with sequential read/write after a reboot (i.e. ideal conditions). About 7,000/6,000 MBps while running Bridge, Photoshop, two or three other imaging programs, Word, Outlook 2003, 30+ browser windows, etc.

The latest NVME.2 drives are very, very fast, specially when running off a PCIe5 bus.

Too much to expect that a computer as old as that supports the latest NVME SSDs. However, my (just built) PC will manage 7,000/7,000 MBps with sequential read/write after a reboot (i.e. ideal conditions). About 7,000/6,000 MBps while running Bridge, Photoshop, two or three other imaging programs, Word, Outlook 2003, 30+ browser windows, etc.

The latest NVME.2 drives are very, very fast, specially when running off a PCIe5 bus.
Yeah, I know they can get very fast, but really even 2000 is plenty fast. What makes SSDs seem so fast is the near instantaneous seek access. Where spinners suffered most is the physical heads having to move around to get to data on different parts of the drive. An SSD can access any part as equally well. That’s why they felt like such an upgrade. Yes, raw throughput helps a lot, but that’s more noticeable when loading large files or a high volume of files.

Last edited:
All my photos and home movies are stored on a 4TB, USB3-connected, external drive on my M1 Mac. It all works well but there are brief but noticeable delays when processing images in LR. I’d like a 4TB NVMe drive attached via Thunderbolt but can’t justify the current cost of doing so.

Also a 100-400 zoom.

All my photos and home movies are stored on a 4TB, USB3-connected, external drive on my M1 Mac. It all works well but there are brief but noticeable delays when processing images in LR. I’d like a 4TB NVMe drive attached via Thunderbolt but can’t justify the current cost of doing so.

Also a 100-400 zoom.
Yeah, USB has more latency than Thunderbolt, so you feel the effects when it comes to access times. I guess it's relative on how much you want to spend, but it looks like you can get an NVME enclosure for under $50 and a 4TB NVME drive for $220. $300 or so for crazy fast storage doesn't sound too bad.

Yeah, USB has more latency than Thunderbolt, so you feel the effects when it comes to access times. I guess it's relative on how much you want to spend, but it looks like you can get an NVME enclosure for under $50 and a 4TB NVME drive for $220. $300 or so for crazy fast storage doesn't sound too bad.
Indeed prices are not dissimilar on this side of the pond although once VAT (UK sales tax @ 20%) is added the cost of a reasonable branded drive rises to £243 or $292. Enclosures are, thankfully, roughly similar in price. Agreed this is not an unreasonable amount for a fair increase in performance.

Alas, our home's back door, once difficult to lock, has, through use and time, been rendered irreparable and thus is in need of urgent attention. For reasons known only to her, my wife insists that its replacement takes precedence in the domestic finances over the the purloinment of "another @£$@%& toy".

Alas, our home's back door, once difficult to lock, has, through use and time, been rendered irreparable and thus is in need of urgent attention. For reasons known only to her, my wife insists that its replacement takes precedence in the domestic finances over the the purloinment of "another @£$@%& toy".
Wives are such strange creatures!

Indeed prices are not dissimilar on this side of the pond although once VAT (UK sales tax @ 20%) is added the cost of a reasonable branded drive rises to £243 or $292. Enclosures are, thankfully, roughly similar in price. Agreed this is not an unreasonable amount for a fair increase in performance.

You just gotta sell it right. A door that's hard to operate is a security feature!

We've got a spare door you can have, but shipping costs might be a problem ... :( .

Yeah, I know they can get very fast, but really even 2000 is plenty fast. What makes SSDs seem so fast is the near instantaneous seek access. Where spinners suffered most is the physical heads having to move around to get to data on different parts of the drive. An SSD can access any part as equally well. That’s why they felt like such an upgrade. Yes, raw throughput helps a lot, but that’s more noticeable when loading large files or a high volume of files.
Totally agree. Specially considering that HDD speeds are usually expressed in Mbps, while SSD speeds are generally given in MBps, so multiply the SSD/NVME speed by 8, or divide the HDD by 8, to get a true comparison.

My fastest SATA3 HDD runs at about 150 MBps, compared with the NVME.2 SSD in the same box running at 7,000/7,000 MBps - very roughly 40 times faster!

Was lusting for a Fujifilm X-M1 body in mint condition, which was offered up for €135 in the classifieds, had to ponder it a bit due to it being brown/silver and me buying a Nikon 1 V1, some sundries for that and a Pentax K100D earlier last week.

Dragging my feet for a day and concluding that it was worth it, event though somewhat garish.

The next time I log onto the classifieds it was sold. It anyhow saved me a pretty penny on the need to get a set of Fujifilm F/2 primes for it. Obtaining such, would have been a longer term project than normal, anyhow.

Was lusting for a Fujifilm X-M1 body in mint condition, which was offered up for €135 in the classifieds, had to ponder it a bit due to it being brown/silver and me buying a Nikon 1 V1, some sundries for that and a Pentax K100D earlier last week.

Dragging my feet for a day and concluding that it was worth it, event though somewhat garish.

The next time I log onto the classifieds it was sold. It anyhow saved me a pretty penny on the need to get a set of Fujifilm F/2 primes for it. Obtaining such, would have been a longer term project than normal, anyhow.
Ok I admit it. I'm finding these posts from Jens entertaining. Am I the only one? I often think about a lot of these potential purchases myself, but he actually goes and does it, always on the front foot. I can be quite thrifty on the lookout, but he seems to be able to get far better prices than what I could for the same gear.

Ok I admit it. I'm finding these posts from Jens entertaining. Am I the only one? I often think about a lot of these potential purchases myself, but he actually goes and does it, always on the front foot. I can be quite thrifty on the lookout, but he seems to be able to get far better prices than what I could for the same gear.
Now that I have space more for more stuff I don't have the money to afford them. Even at pennies :p But its lovely to read the adventure that some people can get to in finding this little gems.

Lens freaks and Sonnar worshipers gather around, Skyllaney has news, and go out and get that line of credit: ‘Bertele’ 2023 update The posted photos look great and my biased eyes say the Skyllaney Beretle has better 3D modeling than its inspiration, the original Sonnar which was/is a fine lens as is as are its descendants, the Jupiter 8 series. Note well, too, that a person well-known on this board and others gets his faIr share of praise. So get a cup of coffee and settle in for a good read.

Here is a lengthy discourse by "Sonnar Brian" over at RFF: Ninety Years of Sonnars- From the Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F2 to the The 5cm F2 Bertele Sonnar

Last edited:
Back