GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

Well my plan for the RF24-70 met an unexpected demise. I looked through my wrestling pix from last year and ALL of them were shot longer than 70. The ones that were 70 were substantially cropped. So, the 24-70 wasn't the missing link the way I thought.

This wasn't clear because last year I was shooting crop with a speedbooster. I didn't remember what lens I used until I went back to check and it was the 70-200 which reported as 49-151 with the speedbooster (mounted on an R7). This year I will use the R3 so I guess the 70-200 will be the correct lens after all.

I was really hoping I needed a 24-70 because the price was sizzling hot. $1300 refurb. They are now backordered anyway, which I suppose is a good thing... but damn.
Needs more thought, I suggest, Anton.

Good Morning,

I've been looking at the new Canon RF 200-800mm for use in the kayak, in place of the adapted EF 100-400mm Mk II and the RF 800mm f11 DO lenses. I will wait for the reviews before making the plunge.

Anton; last season I rented, then recently purchased the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and 50-100mm f1.8 for winter indoor sports, basketball, gymnastics, and wrestling. They are adapted (EF-RF) to my R7, and I actually used them on my Canon 1D Mark IV (1.3x CF) with great success. All files were processed in DxO Pure RAW 3 will really good results. This season I added the ON1 suite, so I have options for noise control.

Regards,

Edd

Last edited:
Good Morning,

I've been looking at the new Canon RF 200-800mm for use in the kayak, in place of the adapted EF 100-400mm Mk II and the RF 800mm f11 DO lenses. I will wait for the reviews before making the plunge.

Anton; last season I rented, then recently purchased the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and 50-100mm f1.8 for winter indoor sports, basketball, gymnastics, and wrestling. They are adapted (EF-RF) to my R7, and I actually used them on my Canon 1D Mark IV (1.3x CF) with great success. All files were processed in DxO Pure RAW 3 will really good results. This season I added the ON1 suite, so I have options for noise control.

Regards,

Edd
My friend who works for Canon should be getting the 200-800 soon. We’re going to go out and test it against a few others lenses or lenses/teleconverter options, the 800 f11 one of them, and the 100-500 with and without a tele another. I’ll try and remember to report back!

My friend who works for Canon should be getting the 200-800 soon. We’re going to go out and test it against a few others lenses or lenses/teleconverter options, the 800 f11 one of them, and the 100-500 with and without a tele another. I’ll try and remember to report back!
Many thanks Chris; an unbiased opinion would be most appreciated by me and I am sure for others too...:drinks:

Your mention of the 50-100 brings me to wondering about the 100-300 and overlapping FLs in general. And as this drives future buying decisions, I think it fairly belongs in this thread. :)

The 100-300 really seems ideal for field sports. It's the best part of the 70-200 and the 300 all in one lens, and you get zooming between 200 and 300 so there's no either/or happening. I say this because I have had the 70-200 and the 300 at the field. I guess having the 100-300 opens the door to the second body having a 400. It's just money, right? And the 24-105 becomes a logical complement.

BUT.. 70-200 is so nice in the gym. Of course it would be great to have 300 for when the players are at the other end of the court but the 100 end would be very limiting. The 70 end is really nice. And the 24-70 is a logical complement although more overlap is fine, too.

So overall this seems to be a really shifting landscape as far as break points between the zoom FLs, and how those break points line up with established needs.

Good Morning,

My "F.L. Overlap Kit" for MTF is; 12-100mm Oly, with Pany 100-300mm when using the PEN-F for lightweight travels. The R7 gets the 24-105mm STM and 100-400mm STM, again for travels. For FF, anything goes, from 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200, 70-300mm, and finally 100-400mm, for zooms. For fixed F.L., that is a whole other story for a long fireside chat...:drinks:

Regards,

Edd

Last edited:
I think I’m gonna shake a few things up. I’ll probably sell my Pentax K200D and a couple lenses. It has a lovely sensor, but I haven’t gotten out twice with it this year, which is the self imposed rule. I’ll likely also ditch my Yashica FX-3 and a Canon film camera, along with 3 lenses for each system, as well as the two lenses I already have up for sale, and my 40-150 plastic fantastic for m43. If all that goes, it should allow for me to pick up the 40-150 f4 pro, as well as scratch an itch for medium format film. Most likely a Fujifilm GW690.

Last edited:
I think I’m gonna shake a few things up. I’ll probably sell my Pentax K200D and a couple lenses. It had a lovely sensor, but I haven’t gotten out twice with it this year, which is the self imposed rule. I’ll likely also ditch my Yashica FX-3 and a Canon film camera, along with 3 lenses for each system, as well as the two lenses I already have up for sale, and my 40-150 plastic fantastic for m43. If all that goes, it should allow for me to pick up the 40-150 f4 pro, as well as scratch an itch for medium format film. Most likely a Fujifilm GW690.
Back in my film days I bought a used Pentax 645 with a 74 2.8. The best viewfinder I’ve ever used.

I hosted Sony at our office today for a “lunch and learn” meeting with our photography club. I was hoping to get hands on with the A9iii, but alas they said they “didn’t have it”. I found it hard to believe given this camera strap 😂
IMG_2342.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I hosted Sony at our office today for a “lunch and learn” meeting with our photography club. I was hoping to get hands on with the A9iii, but alas they said they “didn’t have it”. I found it hard to believe given this camera strap 😂
View attachment 434096
On another note, I find the A7C series really interesting. They really look like a tourist camera at best, but are capable of very high quality images. I am especially intrigued by the A7CR, with a 61 MP sensor and truly superb AF. I 'm sure someone has already done street work with it, so I'll have to go poke around YouTube Of course, if I were to spend that kind of money, I would get the A7IV or the A7RV. I like small cameras, but currently having two Fuji XT bodies has reminded me what it's like to shoot a camera with a nice EVF and ergonomics.

Hasselblad 907x! Why? A strong desire to recreate the old file medium format lookdown (Yashicamat, Hassy 500CM, Mamiya RB 67) process from film days. Will I act on it - most likely not. The image processing workflow looks like a PITA to me - working with 3FR/3F files, possibly exporting to other image processing software. Also no live histogram during image capture. But it's still calling me... ;-)

On another note, I find the A7C series really interesting. They really look like a tourist camera at best, but are capable of very high quality images. I am especially intrigued by the A7CR, with a 61 MP sensor and truly superb AF. I 'm sure someone has already done street work with it, so I'll have to go poke around YouTube Of course, if I were to spend that kind of money, I would get the A7IV or the A7RV. I like small cameras, but currently having two Fuji XT bodies has reminded me what it's like to shoot a camera with a nice EVF and ergonomics.
I found the second gen one pictured above to be much better in the hand then the first one. The addition of the second dial was a must. The EVF was nothing to write home about, and there’s a bit of a hanging pinky going on, but I liked it.

Back