GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

I'm obsessing over buying (yes/no/yes/no...) an Olympus MC-20 teleconverter. I already have the MC-14 but would like to have the maximum reach without going for the 150-400 when it hits the market.
What I need is to get out shooting but the weather's crappy and very heavily overcast here in Vancouver and I hate my joints slowly seizing up when the cold and damp works through the clothes. Instead I'm agonizing over toys. :dash2:

that's what draws me towards the MS Optics Apoqualia-G 28mm f/2.
What an interesting lens! May seem expensive but what's the corresponding Leica Summicron 28mm then? :) Eventually I want to own a lens for every frameline my camera has, some sort of a 28mm would be cool.

Interesting you should find the new 50/1.2 have a strong character wide open. I thought it was pretty tame in comparison?

The 50/1.5 is wonderful, you won't hear otherwise from me. And it's not heavy to carry around.

In case any of you are yearning for an expensive old film camera: Never Used!! Konica HEXAR RF Limited Edition M-HEXANON 50mm f/1.1 | eBay

Konica is the Japan's finest. Big frustration as the body shares lens mount with Leica M but the specs differ by just a bit, causing a shift in focus.

What I need is to get out shooting but the weather's crappy and very heavily overcast here in Vancouver and I hate my joints slowly seizing up when the cold and damp works through the clothes. Instead I'm agonizing over toys.
I hear you. Every winter, every December/January it's like this for me too. Sitting around the house, fantasizing about gear, thinking that the right piece of gear made me go out and shoot :flypig:

A genie appeared, I'd wish for a 10-16-megapixel M4/3 mount camera, made by LEICA. Take an Olympus PEN-F as the basis, feature-wise, but the firmware should be pure Leica. No funky menus, no funky button jungle.

Then again, knowing Leica CL it might not be what I actually want.

I thought it was pretty tame in comparison?
Voigtländer did a great job with the 50mm f/1.2, but it's got its foibles wide open - it can flare hugely, and the bokeh can be everything from super-smooth to quite funky, it's a bit unpredictable. For nighttime shooting, coma correction (or lack thereof) is an issue. But all in all, I do love that lens for what it is and wouldn't want to let it go.

Thank you for speaking up for the Nokton f/1.5 - I've read nothing but good things about that lens; I think it's *the* fallback option anyway ...

M.

A genie appeared, I'd wish for a 10-16-megapixel M4/3 mount camera, made by LEICA. Take an Olympus PEN-F as the basis, feature-wise, but the firmware should be pure Leica. No funky menus, no funky button jungle.

Then again, knowing Leica CL it might not be what I actually want.
Sounds close to what you'd get with a Ricoh GXR and Leica M module...

I've found flare on the 50 f/1.2 to be minimal or 'not bad' at worst.

The original Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 had horrible, ugly, intrusive flare. Compared to that, I've been very happy with the 50 f/1.2.
I'm on the road right now, but I'll dig out the file in question and post it. It only happened once so far, but it was truely spectacular (the flare, I mean). So, of course, yes, the 35mm f/1.4 Nokton Classic (even the M.C. I have) is much, much worse.

M.

Realistic wishes? Waiting for a few things on the Olympus road map.

Red arrows I'd really like, a better small zoom for my Pen F and a compliment for my 12-100 f/4 that ends in the 225-250mm range.

Yellow I'm interested in but... I already have the PanLeica 8-18, but something kind of wide (9-10mm) that goes to 25mm would be nice. The other two telephotos might be nice, but probably not long enough. If the one near the 12-45 f/4 is also described as "ultra-compact" as the 12-45 is than it might be worth a look.

For the green it's really just an upgrade to the 17mm f/1.8 or a 14mm f/1.8. I'm not sure I really need them to be faster, but WR would be nice.

1577810164993.png

Unrealistic?

Updated simplified Pen F with phase AF. Add a joy stick for AF and remove the 4-way controller. Also remove the jog level and front dial. Give it a tilt screen instead of articulated and make the buttons that are left a little bigger.

My true wish as 2019 draws to a close is to not want more or different gear. It is so easy to idly thumb through gear threads, and get "ideas". I was watching a Hallmark movie with my wife (shame on me!), and the lead male character was an amateur photographer, and was always shown with one camera and lens. I'd very much love to be able to pick one camera and one lens, and stay with it indefinitely. Trouble is, there are so many good combinations.

My true wish as 2019 draws to a close is to not want more or different gear. It is so easy to idly thumb through gear threads, and get "ideas". I was watching a Hallmark movie with my wife (shame on me!), and the lead male character was an amateur photographer, and was always shown with one camera and lens. I'd very much love to be able to pick one camera and one lens, and stay with it indefinitely. Trouble is, there are so many good combinations.
I have tried to get to that point twice now. Right now is the closest I have gotten with 1 body and 4 lenses. I could maybe get it down to 3 lenses. But what I shoot is still diversified enough that I would have to quit shooting something to go any lower.

70-200 2.8 S Nikkor, if it does in fact come out. May end up selling my entire Nikon F system after that.

You might want to start taking product shots.

Back