GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

A lot of people I know seem to be getting the DSLR itch again! As for myself, there are times when I like shooting DSLRs over MILCs. Also I've enjoyed the simplicity of just using single point focus AF and recompose!

I started to get the itch for optical after getting accustomed to Leica M's optical rangefinder vision. No matter how fast and great the current EVFs are, zero lag is zero lag ;)

Developing trust to your camera's meter is also a good exercise that the OVF allows more easily.

The Df is unique DSLR
That it is (sadly).

What I gather from the reviews and whatnot, shooting Df is enormous fun. The same kind of fun shooting a Leica M is.

Lighterweight, the quietest(?) than the others in full small format size. And with such a sensor that truly hasn't aged, in all the applications where you don't need too many pixels.

----------

I guess I'm just thinking about the practicalities too much. The previous quick flash of GAS towards Leica SL is quick to resurface when considering things. Not without reason. Leica SL may not be as performant on the high-ISO fronts as the Df, but how would those measurements look if SL's 24-megapixel images were to scaled down to 16 first?

Df shoots Nikon F glass. A grand selection indeed but nothing would stop me from placing that same glass in front of Leica SL. And SL would indeed take my existing Leica M, M39 lenses. The potential duplication of lenses is not part of my vocabulary so I'm extremely pained by the realities of Df.

Parting thoughts, a snap from my favorite GAS site. Compact Camera Meter

foo.png

I noticed the new M10 monochrome the other day. 40 mp. I find that interesting.
Without image stabilisation, a 40 megapickle FF camera and especially a manual focus one will require photographers who know what they’re doing otherwise there may be some potentially crap photos being taken. Won’t stop it flying out of the shops though.

Without image stabilisation, a 40 megapickle FF camera and especially a manual focus one will require photographers who know what they’re doing otherwise there may be some potentially crap photos being taken. Won’t stop it flying out of the shops though.
Oh, be careful not to fall to the pixel ditch. Only crap at the pixel level. Unnecessary? Perhaps. Crap? No.

I just recently gave in to a long-term craving of mine and bought a Sony A7Rii. That full frame allure combined with a great Black Friday deal got the better of me.

The next challenge will be to keep myself from buying a lot of lenses I don't need. So far I'm trying to stick to the Samyang 45mm f1.8 and the Tamron 24mm f2.8 I'm awaiting delivery of.
Those two should be all I need since I managed just fine with a Sigma DP2M for the last couple of years and only really missed a wide angle option from time to time.

These issues are of no consequence for me because if I had that kind of money I would probably buy another motorcycle. :D To be honest, I never thought that far into it. Of course, as you point out, some of these hi rez senors out resolve film so these so old style cameras might be tricky. If I ever were get something like this, however, it would be precisely for the old school experience so I would probably take my technique a lot more seriously.

The previous Monochrom cameras never tweaked an iota of interest in me in the past. But this one is making me sit up straight and pay attention. Might even sell my Xpan and M9P for it. It's the high ISO performance, plus 40MP sensor, and increased dynamic range plus bayer-less sharpness that interests me.
Interesting but I wonder if anyone really has complaints about previous Monochrom models' ISO performance. :confused-95: Everybody is pushing the files left and right and in B&W the noise doesn't really show. All of the sensors have a very desirable noise patterns anyhow.

The reviews on youtubes and online seem to again largely just echo Leica's marketing texts, just like with Q2.

Interesting but I wonder if anyone really has complaints about previous Monochrom models' ISO performance. :confused-95: Everybody is pushing the files left and right and in B&W the noise doesn't really show. All of the sensors have a very desirable noise patterns anyhow.

The reviews on youtubes and online seem to again largely just echo Leica's marketing texts, just like with Q2.

Anyone who has a complaint about the current or previous Monochroms are eejits.

My interest in the M10M comes down to my experience with the Xpan and the Perfekt, and my journey in photography that has led me to where I am today. For years I was a wide open 50mm stalwart, I did not have an eye for wider lenses.

Then I visited Japan 2 years ago and found myself in a spectacular city (Tokyo) where everything I experienced was higher, wider, taller, shorter, closer, more compact, with every little detail screaming for attention in every photograph I take. That is, the city was far more populated, the streets were more compact, the living areas in tiny apartments were smaller, there were a lot more lights and people, I could go on. I didn't realise until the fourth and final week there that, for the first time, I needed to shoot with wider lenses.

That's why the second trip, I went prepared with an Xpan and the Perfekt.

With the Xpan and Perfekt I got what I wanted, but I found myself limited by film's ISO, film camera's limited shutter speeds. If I wanted deep depth of field, I needed to shut the f/stop down to f/8-11-16. Which means I need to lower the shutter speeds to compensate.

Paying a film lab to develop my film for me is costing me a shitload too, each time. So I should learn to develop my own film. If so, I should stick with B&W which is easier to develop at home, especially as a beginner.

When I saw the specs of the new Monochrom, I figured this may be what I need in a digital camera that I can use with wide lenses. I can still crop to panorama to emulate the Xpan or Perfekt (more or less) and probably still have at least 20-24MPs left. I can stop my wide lens down to f/16 and have the ability to turn up the Monochrom's ISO to match without having to slow down the shutter speed too much. And if necessary, I'll still have my fast lenses instead of the Xpan's f/4.

I haven't really seen any of Leica's marketing at large, however last night I read Jono Slack's M10M review and realised this may be it.

And just like that, there are now two $10k cameras I would like to have. They haven't moved full on into the desire category. But if some serious disposable camera funds appear, I'll have a decision to make.

So this week I picked up an original Monochrome CCD 18mp in mint condition

But I could not resist trying the CCD sensor. So many people seem to love the images it produces.
I must say it did seem weird to buy a 2012 era camera today.

The M9M has far better longevity than the M9, in my opinion. Mainly because the M9M remains useable at the higher ISOs, while it takes a bit of effort to push the M9 in low light.

I have never used any of the Monochroms before but looking at the specs on paper I think if you gave me the option of M9, M9M, or M240M, I'd go for the M9M because:

- it has useable high ISO and therefore more applicability than the M9. I know you sacrifice colour options but I'd prefer being to use the M9M any time of the day/night,
- it is cheaper than the M240M,
- it has that CCD sensor.

I've formulated that maybe three bodies of different types would satisfy right now.

DSLR -- Nikon Df
FF MILC -- Leica SL
Rangefinder -- Leica M

Still hoping that maybe M11 offered significant improvements in live view department so that I wouldn't have to bother with SL(2). And with Df I am frustrated with the idea that I can't use any of my current collection on it.

Back