GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

In these troubled times, what's the go buying a used camera on eBay now? Should we be doing that?
Yeah absolutely. Why not? Covid is like any other flu virus, it won't live on dead surfaces for very long.

PS can we keep the depressing real life events on their own threads? Such a bummer to keep hearing about the damage the flu is making. :(😔

Rumor sites have found Fuji patents for a 300/4 and 500/5.6 using diffractive optics. Which would be similar to Nikon's 300 and 500 PF lenses. Patents don't always get developed or brought to market, so we'll have to wait a while to see if they materialize. If they do... GAS re-ignited.

The desire for SL is again here.

It's got a healthy selection of things going for it. Great sensor (although a $600 DSLR beats it easy*) that offers 3 stops more exposure range over a Leica M.

The size and weight is a big question mark -- then again, in hand it's not felt. But at 920 grams (body + adapter) it's almost 250 grams more than the M.

The size and weight in return will enable some interesting options, lens-wise. Those 7Artisan/TTArtisan lenses are are affordable but big on an M, make sense on an SL.

Shooting lenses that suffer from focus shift, Sonnar designs, whatnot? SL doesn't care.

And the adaptability of everything.

(*) The sensor might not be objectively that great but it's better than Q's, and my 18+ months with Leica Q showed it has such tremendous malleability at low ISOs. Entirely perfect for my uses.

These bodies can be had for 2300 € with 12 months warranty these days. I have all kinds of reasons why SL is not going to be a fit for me but since I had my fling with the Nikon Df, why not also cross SL off of my bucket list?!

Last edited:
Hi guys.
The last few years i've been in the comfortable place of "being happy with what i have" & not really feeling the urge to splurge.
i,ve never really ever neded to shoot longer than 200mm & i have that covered with 70-200 VR2 & 200mm f/2.
So last year i was living on the beach for a few days in my campervan & saw a buddy of mine was out windsurfing so i thought i'd shoot a few.
Obviously 200mm is way too short so i tried the TCx2 on my 200 f/2 to give me 400mm @ f/4 wide open.
This got me out there (but tbh 600mm would be more like it) & some of the shots were OK. Keeper rate wasn't great & the TC turned a spectcular lens into a meh lens which is obviously a bit of a disappointment.
Thing is i kinda liked shooting them & i kinda got pulled into shooting a Kitesurfing festival later in the year.

So now i find myself in need of something longer.
Research so far has led to to be considering the Sigma 60-600mm Sports lens.
From what i've read so far it's pretty good, i just have to overcome my long standing distrust of off brand lenses after some extremely disappointing experiences in the past.

Can't believe i'm lusting after a Sigma lol :roflmao:

Eh, it must be something in the air. I’ve started to realise that there is something really bad wrong in me, no not the c… which we shouldn’t say aloud, but otherwise. I have just terrible itch for 5D mark III + EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM. I’m planning to exchange Leica Q for that and keep M8 for slow photography. I just am a middle hump man, and Canon colours are tempting me, seriously 😐

So Bigma (50-500) has gotten herself a sister. Interesting!

Yes it was a new one on me as well.
I've not been watching stuff as it's been released for a good long while as i've been happy with what i have..
Also i would never usually consider a lens encompassing such a wide range as generally they are optically compromised at one end or the other plus my longstanding lack of interest in off brand lenses.

However after coming to the conclusion i would get a 150-600 i stumbled upon some reviews for this one. Sounds promising..
I don't want to spend Nikkor 600mm money on something that might be a one time deal for me so for what they cost it should be worth a punt :whistle:

Alternatively i could hire a lens but i prefer to buy because if you need it then you need it :confused:

Eh, it must be something in the air. I’ve started to realise that there is something really bad wrong in me, no not the c… which we shouldn’t say aloud, but otherwise. I have just terrible itch for 5D mark III + EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM. I’m planning to exchange Leica Q for that and keep M8 for slow photography. I just am a middle hump man, and Canon colours are tempting me, seriously 😐
It's not so much the 35mm F1.4 but that 135mm F2 that's got into my head. Even considered getting a new 6D Mark II or even a used Mark 1 5/6D model to facilitate it.

It's not so much the 35mm F1.4 but that 135mm F2 that's got into my head. Even considered getting a new 6D Mark II or even a used Mark 1 5/6D model to facilitate it.
I’m looking to add EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM later to the camp, if/when end up keeping Canon.

But there’s still small but, I’m not bonded with Q like I thougt I will. Still, it is very nice photography apparatus to own 🤔

Need some self-wrestling…

I've been eyeing the 6D myself too. A real powerhouse for the money. I have always maintained that Canon's EF lineup is more attractive than Nikkor -- then again, now that I learned that I don't like Nikkor AF-S lenses then it's a probable case that I don't care for pretty much any EF lens...

Regarding my SL thing, it's a tough one. Money wise one doesn't stand to lose much money on the body but the adapter M-SL is an expensive piece and it's going to be hard to resell.

I saw a glimpse of one of my possible futures, a vision. In that vision, I bought the SL and I kept the Nikkor lenses and I kept the Leica lenses, and I liked SL so much that it became my main shooter. All manually focused, just because the adapters won't. Leica M I am keeping because it's fun to shoot but I am at the same time miserable about how little it gets use. At the same time I found that Nikon Df and Leica SL cohabitate happily so I bought the Df back and now I can autofocus my Nikkors when it's a good idea.

I’m looking to add EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM later to the camp, if/when end up keeping Canon.

May I respectfully inquire, out of interest, if Nikon's offerings on the 85 mm segment aren't as appealing to you as the Canon ones?

Last edited:
Regarding my SL thing, it's a tough one. Money wise one doesn't stand to lose much money on the body but the adapter M-SL is an expensive piece and it's going to be hard to resell.

I saw a glimpse of one of my possible futures, a vision. In that vision, I bought the SL and I kept the Nikkor lenses and I kept the Leica lenses, and I liked SL so much that it became my main shooter. All manually focused, just because the adapters won't. Leica M I am keeping because it's fun to shoot but I am at the same time miserable about how little it gets use. At the same time I found that Nikon Df and Leica SL cohabitate happily so I bought the Df back and now I can autofocus my Nikkors when it's a good idea.

May I respectfully inquire, out of interest, if Nikon's offerings on the 85 mm segment aren't as appealing to you as the Canon ones?

I like the aesthetics of Leica SL and would like to own one. However there are two reasons why I don't look for SL:
  • I've learned I prefer OVF over EVF, and found a quick, mostly automated workflow in Lightroom to shoot RAW only
    -> so EVF with draining batteries is not in proper use at all in my style
  • I don't like adapters, I prefer pure design, and I couldn't afford to buy native lenses for all the focal lengths I use
    (I don't use zooms)
Nikon 85mm AF-D is just perfect for me, as well as Zeiss 85 Planar T, even with the CA it has. And I love my Dƒ. Only one smallish problem, it doesn't fit to my hand very well. I bought a leather case for it and the grip got a lot better. But I lost the pure design (only strap allowed) and leather is not so fond of moisture, weather resistance got weaker.

So my idea is to get 'workforce' from Canon with 35 and 85 L lenses and have fun with Nikon Dƒ and Leica M8, when need to.

I shot with a 6D for several years before moving to Sony mirrorless. It’s really a very good camera IQ and build wise. The main lacking feature is the AF system. It was ok, but limited by the minimal amount of AF points which are all clustered centrally in the frame. Compounding on this was that all outer AF points were weak in AF capture/accuracy - the center point however was very good.

Honestly, I’d have a hard time going back to DSLR after seeing and utilizing the benefits of mirrorless (mainly AF related).

If it were me wanting access to Canon glass (and who doesnt? It’s great!), then I would consider an EOS RP. Great price point, compact mirrorless body and thus AF feature set, and also the ability to work very well with their EF adapter. EyeAF with that 135mm f2 would be very sweet ;)

Back