GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

Steve I'm actually down to just 2. :eek: :hiding:
I have 3 right now, and I want to reduce that to 2. Just not sure yet which 2.

One of my goals with the rental FZ1000 II is to compare it with the Pen-F + P 45-150 at various focal lengths. It may turn out that the P 45-150 is better at all focal lengths. Who knows? Again, we'll see.

EDIT: I'm currently flipping back and forth from Camaraderie to a discussion about the FZ1000 on DPR. Here's an example image from the FZ1000 someone posted: http://www.cavecom.com/pics/feather-detail.jpg

Last edited:
My scanning through DPR threads led me to this guy's posts. He has a gallery of excellent images taken with an FZ1000: FZ1000

I mentioned in another thread that I'm re-reading Stephen Ingraham's "Point and Shoot Nature Photography". Don't know for sure if this is the path I will take, but the galleries in the link above sure are encouraging.

I love the Zeiss Loxia lenses but they have one real annoyance: changing lenses is a pain because there's hardly any surface offering grip. The guys from pocketPANO felt the same pain and they devised a solution: the LENS-GRIP (sorry, the shouting is the manufacturer's). I applied these to all my Loxias and it is a huge improvement. So I decided to order another one for my Sony FE 2.8/35 and while the product isn't designed for that lens, it works a treat nevertheless. Ordered 2 of them in fact because my resistance to getting the Loxia 2.4/25 is crumbling, the only one missing in my line-up. The gap between 21 and 35mm is too large for me and I've been waiting for Zeiss or Voigtländer to come up with a native 28mm lens, but no signs of that yet, so a 25mm (which seems to be more like 26mm) would be a reasonable alternative. GAS never stops, does it?

S01-20200723-004.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

S02-20200723-005.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I have 3 right now, and I want to reduce that to 2. Just not sure yet which 2.

One of my goals with the rental FZ1000 II is to compare it with the Pen-F + P 45-150 at various focal lengths. It may turn out that the P 45-150 is better at all focal lengths. Who knows? Again, we'll see.

EDIT: I'm currently flipping back and forth from Camaraderie to a discussion about the FZ1000 on DPR. Here's an example image from the FZ1000 someone posted: http://www.cavecom.com/pics/feather-detail.jpg
I can't see how a Pen F could be replaced by a Superzoom. But then you do have the X-E2, so they could be seen as a bit redundant.

But then I'm also not a fan of power zooms,
OK, let's count them up:
8 Pens
Sony A7Riii, A6000, and RX100 (which is technically my wife's)
Fuji XH1, X100V, and X20
Pentax Q and Q7
This does not include old film stuff that is on display.

Huh, not as bad as thought. (Hurries over to KEH.com)
8 Pens? That's basically 1/2 of all the Pens that have been made.
I will *not* do this :) But rest assured: It could be worse :2thumbs:
M.
Well there are only 11 in your signature.

There is one nice feature DPR has, the gear list. You can flag things you own, want, or have owned ( the Nikon gear is actually my son's but I bought it for him).

I can't see how a Pen F could be replaced by a Superzoom. But then you do have the X-E2, so they could be seen as a bit redundant.

But then I'm also not a fan of power zooms.
I've never been much fond of power zooms, either, but I want to see for myself how the FZ1000 II compares to the Pen-F + P 45-150 in both handling and IQ. I already know the effective maximum reach is 100mm greater. I also want to compare the handling, and do some pixel peeping to compare the IQ. The consumer m4/3 options to reach 400mm, the O 12-200 and P 45-200, don't seem to be well regarded. I'm certain the PL 50-200 on the Pen-F would smoke the FZ1000 II, but at a cost of $500 more and an even more bulky package: Compact Camera Meter No point in having a telephoto lens if I have to keep it in a bag on my bike rack and swap lenses back and forth at every stop. My other alternative to the P 45-150 is to re-purchase an XF 55-200 for the X-E2. IQ would be better, but I know from experience the camera and lens would not fit in my bar bag: Compact Camera Meter

OK, let's count them up:
8 Pens
Sony A7Riii, A6000, and RX100 (which is technically my wife's)
Fuji XH1, X100V, and X20
Pentax Q and Q7
This does not include old film stuff that is on display.

Huh, not as bad as thought. (Hurries over to KEH.com)
There's an E-PL8 for sale over at mu-43 if you want to make it 9 Pens . . . or would that be 10? Someone just bought the E-P5 that was listed over there. :D

Back